Hi Waterrancher,
Yes IBC's are called totes here. Where are you at? Missed the boat? I'm in Ohio, south of Cleveland 60mi. West of Mansfield 30mi. southwest of Akron 35 mi. Piketon is on the Ohio River and the perch there are just starting to spawn. This area will have a couple of weeks. Water temp. needs to be about 50 - 55 degrees.
I agree, I rather not pay for fingerlings.
They recommend 4 males to 1 female for spawning. The ribbons have 20,000 - 30,000 eggs on them. the ribbons look like lace about 1 -1 1/2 " wide. The sperm is activated when it hits the water. The ribbon becomes very sticky and attaches to anything vertical. If the ribbon lays on the bottom it will die. It needs water all around it. The ribbon puts off ammonia and co2, This will cause it to float. It needs to be held down. At South Centers they made up chicken wire crowns (size will depend on the container). Some times these will float!
Your tank sounds fine. Making up a artificial forest at one end, for them to weave in and out should be all that is needed. Then have a way to remove the eggs or the adults to a separate tank.
I agree natural is best.
You can see most of my setup here - < diyaquaponics.com/kenp.php > I'm still working on the grow beds.

Ironfish