Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

PVC connector help! Grrr.

Hey guys,

I just drove around everywhere in my city looking for some thru hole bulk head fittings like the ones I see in all of the DIY Aquaponics videos and I can't seem to find em.

Can I please get some clarification on what parts people are using to make through there through hole connections and where exactly are you getting them?
    Current Aquaponics System

11 Gold Fish
    Aquarium = Custom 90 Gallon Raised Pond on casters
    Flower bed = Custom 4' x 8' Flood Table (Bell Siphon)
    Bio Filter = 6 Gallon Polypropylene Tote with Hydroton (Bell Siphon)

Re: PVC connector help! Grrr.

Hmm... do you mean how does one get the PVC pipe through the plastic container without it leaking?

Quote Originally Posted by urbanfarmer
    Hmm... do you mean how does one get the PVC pipe through the plastic container without it leaking?
    Sure

I know people use thru hull fittings of some sort, and I figured I wanted to get the ones that had inner threads on it so you could screw in different length upstands and such. But no plumbing store I went to has ever heard of that.

Which ones do you use?

11 Gold Fish

Use a male adapter and a female adapter from the electrical dept at HD with a dab of silicon.

I, too, use regular PVC male/female adapters but with O-rings. I don't like sealing it up with something. I have tried everything from silicon to hot glue to welding the plastic (hey I needed an excuse to buy the plastic welder from HF). The O-rings seem to work really great, but it depends on the container. Anything that's not flat and drilled neatly can cause problems.

I think you are looking for those universal sealer things they sell on the Internet for a fraction of the price of bulk head fittings. I believe Ace Hardwares usually carry them also. I can't remember the exact name offhand, but I'm sure someone on here will!

Quote Originally Posted by urbanfarmer
    I, too, use regular PVC male/female adapters but with O-rings. I don't like sealing it up with something. I have tried everything from silicon to hot glue to welding the plastic (hey I needed an excuse to buy the plastic welder from HF). The O-rings seem to work really great, but it depends on the container. Anything that's not flat and drilled neatly can cause problems.

I think you are looking for those universal sealer things they sell on the Internet for a fraction of the price of bulk head fittings. I believe Ace Hardwares usually carry them also. I can't remember the exact name offhand, but I'm sure someone on here will!
    Would you mind linking me one of those? I'm not exactly sure what you are referring too. Also there is no Ace hardware where I live.

I have actually used the electrical conduit joiners but I used pvc cement on them and now I realize I have so many containers that I can't re-use

I considered using silicone but I never thought of o-rings. Where did you purchase the o-rings? Do they come in all shapes and sizes?

11 Gold Fish

Ask a sales person where they are at your store. They should come in a large array of sizes and thickness. It makes the configuration quite reusable.

THAT'S THE ONE!!! GOOD CATCH!!!

Aquatic-eco has several kinds of bulkheads...the least costly are the 'economy' ones. They are made from ABS plastic, the pvc ones cost more.
    They have 'up to' 2 inch size, in the 'economy', and they are $7.44 each.
    http://www.aquaticeco.com/subcategories ... gs-Economy

I've used uni-seals and they work. (sometimes they leak a little...... on something with a thin wall, like a rubbermaid storage bin)
    The bigger the pipe, the more of a pain it is to get the pvc through the uni-seal. Beveling the end of the pipe and using some rubbing alcohol, helps get it through easier.
    However, for 2 inch pvc, I'd rather spend the extra 2 bucks for the economy bulkhead, then fight with a uni-seal.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan