Members

Hi all from a chilly Benoni, Johannesburg, South-Africa

Hi all. I live in a town called Benoni in South-Africa. It's part of the Johannesburg megapole. I always had a interest in soilless farming for home use but in the natrure of my profession I moved a lot(construction)......until few years ago. We finally settled and started putting down some roots. I was introduced to aquaponics by my brother who has a 12x6 poly tunnel, but he lives on the other side of South-Africa He forwarded me the barrelponics manual and off I went. I aquired all the building material and set off on the build one weekend. I could not put the growbeds side by side because of space constraints. A few mods to the design and there she was....System 1 (Pic added). I did not intend on eating the fish of my maided system, so koi worked very nicely. After harvesing my first tomato I realised that this was way to small and I neede something bigger if it was to add any real value to the family (3 of us).

So it started. I've heard terms like 'aquaponic madness' or the 'planting frenzy' ect. I had a good look around our property and found a spot 10x4 meter that would do nicely for a greenhouse. I had to fell a tree and level out the ground, but it would not be such a big task. I started this project, having the greenhouse as the first milstone. I designed a conventional pitched roof as to have a common look to the surrounding buildings. I had 3 ribs in the structure that I planted with concrete. From there I welded on the laterals and presto....my greenhouse frame was up. I added hinges to the roof panels so they can open on the hot African days. I covered it with greenhouse plastic. I dug a 2.5m3 sump and covered the floor with concrete. I lined the sump with concrete, then with bidem and then with a 1mm dam liner (We use these to line the tailings dams). Not easy stuff to do 90degree corners with, but it kept the water in anyway.
    My fish tank(s) are 3 flow bins (I think you call them IBC's) 1m3 water tanks. These were to big to take around my house (we love our high concrete fences in RSA). There was not enough space between the house wall and the fence, so I disassembeld them and took them over the roof. I fell off the roof whilst taking the last container - slipped on early morning wet roof tiles...yip, lucky. I did not have a bruise.
    The growbeds was another mission, but that will have to wait for another day. My system is up and running. I have 3.5m3 of fish tank a 2.5m3 sump and around 13 grow beds. I tried to use every square inch of the greenhouse. I'm looking at going vertical on one of the walls.
    I've had (and sure will have) most of the frustrations the other forum members discuss - syphon issues, fish deaths, yellowing plants ect. ect. but it all remains worth it when you sit down and have a meal grown in your own greenhouse and your 9 y/o son sais : This brocoli tastes great (He does not eat brocoli, as a rule).
    It is great to find such a big collection of knowledge that is shared as this, thanks. I tried to add pics, but the forum complains about size. I sort this for next time.
    When in doubt, stick it in, see if it grows.

Re: Hi all from a chilly Benoni, Johannesburg, South-Africa

Welcome to the show....pull up an easy chair, relax and stay awhile. New voices are always a welcome addition to our family..! Whatever questions you have on you mind, this is the place to get the answers so pick a topic of your interest and start your own thread and Enjoy.
    JCO
    Irish eyes are always smiling but
    • "In the eyes of the world, you are only as good as your last success"
    so never forget
    • "MAN IS ONLY LIMITED BY HIS IMAGINATION"

Greetings Earthling, and welcome!

Hi Antonie, welcome to the forum....
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan