Members

tilapia source for cincinnati

we've just about got our first aquaponics system built here in cincinnati, ohio. i'm starting to look around for tilapia (seems like blue tilapia would be a good choice) sources. any recommendations would be appreciated!
    thanks,
    sam

Members

Re: tilapia source for cincinnati

is your system indoors? if not, it will take quite a bit of heating to get tilapia through the winter..
    there are a few places online to order them, let me know if you want more info

Hi Sam, welcome...
    I agree with Kieth about the heating issue. Even in central FL, outdoors, I had to heat my water last winter.... I would think in a basement, some heating would be needed....maybe even in the summer, for tilapia. (?)
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by davidstcldfl
    Hi Sam, welcome...
    I agree with Kieth about the heating issue. Even in central FL, outdoors, I had to heat my water last winter
    I'm already concerned about heating my tilapia tanks here in southwest florida. How big are your tanks and how powerful a heater did you need? My current set up is about 250 gallons, but I'm considering adding another 650 tank (8 foot diameter wading pool type) before winter. I have a 10X10 foot greenhouse tent and water stored in it stayed about 75F last winter. My new 650 gallon fish tank will JUST fit inside it, but I may need to suppliment heat in my my outside system. Is there a thermostat system and recommended watts per gallon you can recommend?

bsfman, I'll send you a PM with some info on what I did, so we don't get this off topic too bad .

EDIT: also read through this on heating...
    Heaters
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Welcome to the show....pull up an easy chair, relax and stay awhile. New voices are always a welcome addition to our family..! Whatever questions you have on you mind, this is the place to get the answers so pick a topic of your interest and start your own thread and Enjoy. Also please go to your profile and put in the city and state where you live. There may be other members close by.
    JCO
    Irish eyes are always smiling but
    • "In the eyes of the world, you are only as good as your last success"
    so never forget
    • "MAN IS ONLY LIMITED BY HIS IMAGINATION"

Members

Sam,

I got mine from White Brook Tilapia Farm. I have a couple of their strains. Great fish.
    tilapiasource.com

Quote Originally Posted by grimsteph
    Sam,

I got mine from White Brook Tilapia Farm. I have a couple of their strains. Great fish.
    tilapiasource.com
    That is the most expensive option, but it will get you your fish!

Obviously you don't live around here, but for example there is a breeder that has so many fish he's giving away Tilapia. I actually paid him for fish a while back... had I waited it would have been FREE... oh well. Try craig's list and the like. Maybe the phone book. Ask around. The shipping on fish alone costs more than the fish locally...

Members

thanks for the feedback everyone. we do have our system indoors. the tank (about 600 gallons) is in a garage and the water flows out into a greenhouse on the south side. we will need several heaters, that's for sure. so, with that in mind, we're still looking for tilapia. other sources and ideas are welcome! if anyone would be willing to send me some, please let me know and we'll work it out.
    thanks!
    sam

Sam, second request from admin, please go to your profile and put in the city and state where you live. There may be other members close by.
    JCO
    Irish eyes are always smiling but
    • "In the eyes of the world, you are only as good as your last success"
    so never forget
    • "MAN IS ONLY LIMITED BY HIS IMAGINATION"