Members

Hello from Torrington, CT!

Howdy all! Ag Science teacher here fascinated by Aquaculture and Aquaponics! Just bought a place in Torrington and looking to install a constant Ebb and Flow system with Bibb Lettuce (maybe tomatoes if I can figure it out) and Tilapia! BRAND NEW to this! I'll be posting regularly asking MANY MANY questions! Thanks to all in advance!

~Ashley

Members

Re: Hello from Torrington, CT!

welcome to the forum..
    you'll find yourself addicted to this before to long..
    is that Torrington CT?... might be a bit cool for tilapia, best temp's for them would be in the mid 80's and higher for best growth, bibb lettuce likes it a bit cooler
    lots of cool/cold water species of fish, and probably available in your area, something to consider.. again, welcome

Members

Thanks for the response! I choose Tilapia for the shear fact that they are hard to kill (minus cold water) I was going to do a immersible heater, but that probably wouldn't be good for the lettuce huh? Any suggestion for a veggie change?

Members

when it gets cold, your growbeds (or nft pipes?) will transfer heat pretty quickly..
    burying your tank, and insulating growbeds and the tank would help, also covering the tank itself with insulation..
    it may be easier to think about heating your greenhouse, big al is using i think a "waste oil" heater, but is raising cool water fish (or was until we got a heat spike)
    broccoli, cabbage, radishes, different lettuce varieties, cukes, tomatoes all do well in ap, but it's mostly going to depend on your environment..
    if you do get really hot summers, you could probably think about doing 2 fish crops, tilapia in summer, trout in winter..

Welcome to the show....pull up an easy chair, relax and stay awhile. New voices are always a welcome addition to our family..! Whatever questions you have on you mind, this is the place to get the answers so pick a topic of your interest and start your own thread and Enjoy.
    JCO
    Irish eyes are always smiling but
    • "In the eyes of the world, you are only as good as your last success"
    so never forget
    • "MAN IS ONLY LIMITED BY HIS IMAGINATION"