Thread: My set up

Members

My set up

I have had my system running now for a couple months. 10x12 greenhouse with a couple hundred gallon fish tank. I have had mixed results. I have havested two cucumbers from three plans(might be using the wrong type of cucumbers), peppere aren't doing much of anything. Got a few sugar peas then the plants died, radishes didn't do anything, Tomatoes are very small, and the romain lettuce is bolting. The shallots did good, as did the garlic and basil. Could I be lacking in fish?

Re: My set up

Brent,

Please tell us what your system chemistry looks like.
    Tell us what you can about the following:
    Ammonia ppm
    Nitrites ppm
    Nitrates ppm
    pH
    Dissolved Oxygen (DO) ppm
    Water temperature, Min and Max

With this information, we can better help you.

Oliver
    To measure is to know

Also, what's the weather like? Any sign of pests or disease? Maybe a few pictures of your system and a basic description of how it works would help us too!

Members

and how many/what size fish?

Members

it has taken about four months for any of my systems, indoor or outdoor, to really start to mature. even though the nitrates hung between 60-100ppm from the time it cycled to when it started maturing as a system. basil is the easiest plant to please outside of crabgrass that i know of. it does just fine put some cuttings in tap water.
    then again without certain nutrients that the fish can not provide there is a compromise in the development of a lot of veggies. i don't know if the bolting will change or not. my greens such as lettuce, spinach, bok choy, etc, pretty much go straight from seedling to bolt, do not form heads. i believe the cultivors of lettuce and other greens that are shown in tropical areas forming beautiful heads must be different from anything i can get.

Members

Four months to mature? We only get three frost free months, if we are lucky. I might have better luck when I move the fish inside for the seven or so months of winter.