Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: taylor and carson backyard aquaponics setup

Looks good can't wait to see it plumbed up and growing.

Members

Hey Neighbor!

I can't wait to get back from Afghanistan and swap notes. Your system is coming along for sure. I got my container from Mike, too. My first batch of goldies were dead in no time. But, additional cleaning and a bit of SoCal UV exposure seems to have killed anything left in my container. Since then, our system has been rocking! We have 50 tilapia, which we got from a guy in Escondido, Ken (www.aquaagriculture.com). He was super to work with and we had no floaters.

Anyhow, I'm in Afghanistan now, but I'll hopefully be meeting you around the new year. It'd be great to have someone to experiment with on all this AP stuff.

Best wishes,
    MixMasterMatt
    MixMasterMatt
    Vista, CA
    http://blog.mattholzmann.com/
    "Only dead fish go with the flow." - Jason Ditmer

As long as what was in the IBC wasn't toxic, they should be fine. Maybe even then. IBC's are used all over, as are 55 and 30 gallon plastic drums. Gorrilla Glue does not seem to be toxic.
    The best fertilizer is the farmer's shadow

Carson.

how are you feeding all the 1/2 drums the same amount of water at the same time? are they connected to each other via 2" pipes to equalize the water throughout all the drums before draining back to your fish tank?

is this an eb and flow system or a river system?

Quote Originally Posted by ernie
    Quote Originally Posted by carson
    I don't think we're going to use the 275 IBC tanks. We can't get all the Gorilla Snot out
    I was just thinking about my IBCs that have not been cleaned out and will be a PITA to clean out, and an idea struck me. The internal IBC tanks themselves kinda suck in that they are not UV stabilizided so need to be in the shade or they will degrade and crack over time. I do like their shape and size tho.

So i'm thinking that it would be easiest to line the IBC w/ pondliner. If the pond liner were long enough it would not only eliminate the IBC cleaning process but it could also hang over the sides far enough to protect the IBC liner from the direct UV sun rays. It would also create a thermal pocket btwn the pond liner and IBC liner that would heat up a bunch when left in the sun.

Hmmm... seems like a test is in order.
    Ernie, I read somewhere that a guy couldn't remove all the stuff out of the IBC, so he did some checking around and he found a place that sold huge plastic bags (like garbage bags only bigger), he bought one for about $5.00, went home, and if fit the IBC perfectly, that's what he uses for his pondliner, says they last quite a while. You'd have to check with a chemical company or something like that that ships large quantities of liquids ..... they'd know where to find those bags. I can't remember where I read his blog ........
    I use the Linux Operating System ...... Free as in beer!
    You're never too old to learn something
    Aquaponics - food'n'fish at your doorstep

Helena, Montana - Home of the Northernmost Monument to the Confederacy

Quote Originally Posted by ernie
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope
    Ernie, I read somewhere that a guy couldn't remove all the stuff out of the IBC, so he did some checking around and he found a place that sold huge plastic bags (like garbage bags only bigger), he bought one for about $5.00, went home, and if fit the IBC perfectly, that's what he uses for his pondliner, says they last quite a while. You'd have to check with a chemical company or something like that that ships large quantities of liquids ..... they'd know where to find those bags. I can't remember where I read his blog ........
    Saweeeet. IBC bags. i gotta reseach this. Why worry much about residue when you can just cover it over?
    I know it's not hard to find bags for 50 gallon steel drums, but I'm not sure where you can find the ones for IBC's ...... I bet if you went online to somewhere that sells IBC's new, they could steer you to a bag supplier
    I use the Linux Operating System ...... Free as in beer!
    You're never too old to learn something
    Aquaponics - food'n'fish at your doorstep

Helena, Montana - Home of the Northernmost Monument to the Confederacy