Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Re: Bioritize System Progress

Great advice guys thanks and keep it coming.

Here is another update

[youtube:2zmy8y7n]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNm3JxemGUM[/youtube:2zmy8y7n]

I think that the reason I have had so much trouble with this system is that I did not filter the original 50 gallons of water I used to start the system. Therefore I have been battling to remove the chloramines from the water for the first month or so. Now that I have replaced most of this water with filtered water and added a large amount of aeration, I hope to see this system begin to balance.

Water Quality Update:

Ph 7.2
    ammonia 0 ppm
    Nitrite 5 ppm
    Nitrate 160 ppm

It looks like I am beginning to get bacteria action. I have a larger flow GAC filter that hooks to my hose on the way. The RO system is a bit out of my budget at the moment. How do you guys feel about the ceramic filter systems?

My issue with the bell siphons right now is that they require a large amount of flow to get the siphon to start. How do you modify the siphon to work with lower flow rates? Do I find a larger funnel or reducer for the standpipe or alter the down spout somehow?

After adding the second GB my siphon's are running once every 5 minutes and they both seem to stay at the full level for at least a minute before they siphon can start.

Seems like I am getting somewhere and the fish are still all alive.

Quote Originally Posted by Bioritize
    My issue with the bell siphons right now is that they require a large amount of flow to get the siphon to start. How do you modify the siphon to work with lower flow rates? Do I find a larger funnel or reducer for the standpipe or alter the down spout somehow?
    Aren't you already using Affnan's standpipe/bells ? If you are.....
    The 1st thing to try is, 'what you said'.... go to a bigger 'top' section on the stand pipe.
    If that doesn't work... reduce the size of the 'bottom' of the stand pipe.
    Worst case...you may need to reduce all of the drain pipe, including the bottom section of your stand pipe.

I bought bell reducers, like Affnan uses here....
    http://flexpvc.com/cart/agora.cgi?produ ... s-Reducing
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

With the exception of your Nitrites being high, your water chemistry looks good. I think it is time you planted your grow beds.

As for your siphon problem, my guess is that your stand pipe may be too large. I looked back through your posts and didn't see anything about the size of your grow beds (may have just missed it) but let me give you some numbers from my experiments way back when I was first trying to design a siphon that would cycle in about 15 minutes. For a 10 sq ft grow bed I started with a 3/4 inch stand pipe but found that, like you, I needed to have my flow rate high in order to get it to start siphoning. That made the cycle less than 10 minutes. I reduced the stand pipe to 1/2 inch and in doing so I found I could slow the water and by adjusting it I could time the cycle from about 10 to 20 minutes, right where I wanted it. By placing a down pipe below the grow bed of several inches, still at 1/2 inch, it helped drain the grow bed at a faster rate.

Now, with the Affnan reducer design, the siphon should start to cycle at a lower water flow rate than with a straight pipe. We have upgraded our siphon design to include his reducer stand pipe. I have not tested it to see if it works as advertised but it didn't adversely affect our siphons. His research looks solid and for the time being, I will accept his findings.

For different sizes of grow bed, you will need to adjust the stand pipe size (cross sectional area) accordingly.

Oliver
    To measure is to know

[youtubetswfhj4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NijF_e-qdkc[/youtubetswfhj4]

I might as well do a video its just as easy as posting a bunch of pictures.

My grow beds are 27" x 18" x 10", I would like to have made them deeper but I cut the first bed before I found this site.

The input lines are all 1/2" and the drain; stand pipe was 1", just changed to 1/2" and the output is still 1" with two 90 degree elbows.

It seems to be working wonderfully after changing out the two stand pipes to 1/2" with the 1" - 1/2" reducer as the bell.

With all your tips and advice I think this thing is tuned up and ready to go. I have sprouts after only 3 days. Fish should be here in a few weeks I am ordering a hybrid strain of White Nile Tilapia Oreochromis Niloticus from http://tilapiasource.com/zc/ to start with. Unless you guys have any other recommendations for starter fish. Ideally I would like to use this setup as a breeder tank(If I can get them to breed in such a small tank or fry tank if that does not work.

I am not sure if I will be moving out of this state to a farm and have put my larger system plans on hold for a bit. Although I do have another 55 gal fish tank that is just sitting idle. I wonder if there is a way to add that tank to this system?

All your suggestions seem to have worked, thank you zen masters of Aquaponics!!

Edit: Changed the outlet pipes on the grow beds to 1/2" also this greatly increased the siphon start ability and now I am able to lower the input of water and therefore increase the time it takes to cycle each grow bed to 12-15 min each bed. Thanks Guys!!

Members

Looking at my notes it appears that I have been using half RO water and half carbon filter city tap water. Works for me.
    --------------------------------------------
    “In school, you’re taught a lesson & then given a test.
    In life, you’re given a test that teaches you a lesson.”
    ? Tom Bodett
    --------------------------------------------

If you're going to use the white Nile small fingerlings you'll have about 10 weeks before even the 55 gallon will become to small. I'm in that boat, currently looking at a 110 gallon stock tank to finish my grow out, Gonna leave about 4 or 5 in the 55 gallon to try to breed them. Currently I have 2 males that have each claimed an end of the tank and the other 22 are stuck in the middle getting abused any time they venture to close to the males territory.

edit: The white niles aren't a hybrid, they're just a color strain of nile tilapia.

Hmm, perhaps I should begin working on phase 2 a 150 gallon system or so.

I could use this for the fish tank
    http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/pro...rce=GoogleBase

2 or 3 Grow beds
    http://www.katom.com/007-FG424300BLA...07-fg424300bla

That puts the cost at $325 for the containers, probably closer to $500 when all is done. Any other options out there, how well do the barrels work with the sloped/shallow sides?

I am thinking about a Chop2 system, http://www.aquaponics.net.au/ChopMk2.html

Members

i've been using blue barrels cut in half lengthwise, everything grows ok, but it takes up to much space for the amount of filtration provided..
    i'm still trying to find some IBC's to cut in half for my growbeds, when i do, i'll be using an 8' pool for my ft..
    this year any additions to the barrel system might be a bust, to much goin on.. but i hope that i can get some of it done this fall for a trout trial (it's all in my basement)

Hey Guys,

Wanted to give you an update so I did another video.
    [youtube:1re5mcbm]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UWG6XTQpfY[/youtube:1re5mcbm]
    I ran through the system again for anyone who has not seen it. Very simple 40 gallon fish tank on the bottom with two 5 gallon buckets as filters and 2 27 x 19 x 10 grow beds that are flood and drain.

Basically I am using the fish tank as the sump and the filters in the position I should have the tanks. Oh well, you learn as you go. I am going to use this as a fry tank and I am in the process of building a small 150 gal system using those Rubbermaid stock tanks.

I am going to use a 55 gall fish tank as the sump then use a 150 gall stock tank for the FT and 3 50 gallon tanks for the grow beds. I plan to use the Chop2 system for this next one. I hope to be able to grow out about 50 lbs of fish in this system using the 3 gallons to 1 lbs ratio.

Anyway, I want to thank all of you aquaponics Jedi's whom have posted so much valuable information.

Edit:

Water Quality

Ph is up to 7.6
    Ammonia 0 ppm
    Nitrite 5 ppm
    Nitrate 80 ppm

Should I adjust the ph at this point? Some of the small plants are a bit yellow and I think it is due to this high ph. The water I add to the system is around 7 - 8 after it goes through the filter. I believe this is why my ph has been climbing.

I also am thinking that this will begin to balance with more fish.

Hey Dudes,

I talked with my water place, they say its only chlorine, then they add limestone and CO2 to increase PH.

Anyway the system is cycled,

PH 7.2
    Ammonia 0 ppm
    Nitrite 0 ppm
    Nitrate 80 ppm

I have added 25 While Nile Tilapia to the tank, and this is a video update of the growth, which is amazing.

[youtube:wzid9k6l]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=my3sLKX2hYU[/youtube:wzid9k6l]

I believe I will need a tank I can let the fish grow out in, I am debating on the 150 gal rubbermaid tank with 3 (50 gallon) of the rubber maids for the grow beds. Prolly have under $1000 in a system like that and enough room to grow out 50 fish or so.

Anyway thanks for all your help guys. Any thoughts on my fish and their life cycles here would be appreciated, I do not think it will be ok for all of these guys to stay in this 40 gallon tank.