Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Bioritize System Progress

Quote Originally Posted by Bioritize
    Should I let new water set for a while to help evaporate the chlorine.
    Your water report shows they are using ' chloramines '....It doesn't eveaporate (quickly) like chlorine does... If I remeber, it takes 'weeks' for it to break down (?)

Also, I thought I read a report, where they claimed you could pre-treat water that had chloramines, by adding a good amount of chlorine to it. The chlorine supposedly helped break down the chloramines quicker...
    Anyone else read or hear of this...?
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

The Wiki says I can add Chlorine or Hydrochloric acid to remove the chloramine.

"Chloramine can be removed from tap water by treatment with superchlorination (10 ppm or more of free chlorine, such as from a dose of sodium hypochlorite bleach or pool sanitizer) while maintaining a pH of about 7 (such as from a dose of hydrochloric acid). Hypochlorous acid from the free chlorine strips the ammonia from the chloramine, and the ammonia outgasses from the surface of the bulk water. This process takes about 24 hours for normal tap water concentrations of a few ppm of chloramine. Residual free chlorine can then be removed by exposure to bright sunlight for about 4 hours."

It also says;

"Home brewers use reducing agents such as sodium metabisulfite or potassium metabisulfite to remove chloramine from brewing liquor as it, like chlorine, it can be removed by boiling, however boil time to reduce chloramine to a terminal measurement is longer.[12] Residual sodium can cause off flavors in beer (See Brewing, Michael Lewis) so potassium metabisulfite is preferred."

Is this the right way to go? How else would I clean this water?

Members

a good GAC filter is the best for chlorimines. it doesn't add other substances to the water. there is a certain amount of contact time required for the GAC (granular activated carbon) to adsorb, not absorb the chlorimines as a unit. you do have to monitor the water to determine how long you can use the gac filter before replacement. GAC also will remove other unwanted substances from your water.

Sounds good,

I will leave this brita filter in line of the system to help filter this water, I think that the chloramides are causing the high ammonia readings. The fish seem to be very happy, though a bit hungry. The water is also very clear now.

I will test the levels again tonight and report back, perhaps with a few pictures.

They also add Floride to my water

Members

feed a little bit of food at a time, a starved fish is open to disease, realize the direct correlation between food and ammonia.

I have been using the GAC filter, though this process is extremely slow.

I just tested my ammonia again and we are still around 8 pmm, slightly lighter than the last test.

Should I change this water out for tap water? Perhaps I should set out some rain buckets and collect that water instead of this tap crap.

My guess here is that you have a DO problem. I didn't notice or see in your video any water being jetted from your pump back into the fish tank. And, without any other aeration I will bet that you don't have enough DO in your water. Without it, the bacteria cannot grow or do their job.

I suggest that you read the part about DO in Aquaponics 101. It is mentioned throughout the series of articles, the reason for its necessity and how to get it.

You do need to filter out any chlorine and chloramines from your tap water before you put it in the fish tank. I don't think the Britta is the right way to go; although, it is better than nothing.

It would appear that you have taken some short cuts here and are paying the price.

Oliver
    To measure is to know

Agreed,

I will go out and get an air pump and stones tomorrow. I tested the nitrites and my levels have risen to .25 ppm which is a good sign.

When I built this thing I didn't realize how much of the system uses the 0xygen and tried to cut corners.

Do you have recommendations on different filters?

Edit: Just bought an air filter with 2 6" air stones. I have the ability to add more if I need it. I talked with the people at the pet store and they all run their tank water through RO systems. I do not have the budget for this item just yet. I am hoping I can get this thing under control without the use of that $300 piece of equipment.

How long will it take to bring the DO levels up? A couple days, hours?

I will post another update in a day or so on the water quality. Fish are still doing fine.

Water Test,

Ph 7
    ammonia 8 ppm maxed my scale out
    Nitrite close to approaching .25 ppm but not quite 0
    Nitrate 80 ppm

Water Temp 75 F

Installed two 6" air stones. Without buying an RO system what would be a good filtration for this crappy municipal water? Are those Ceramic stones any good, it looks like I could buy just the stones for pretty cheap. (http://www.amazon.com/Rio-2000-Replacem ... B001YG9GBS)

I need to make this quick.

I would not suggest using an RO system for filtration, for it will remove all of your minerals and alkalizing stablizers.

Oliver
    To measure is to know