Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Bioritize System Progress

Hey Guys,

I have updated my video, though I said a few things that were incorrect in the video. I have a couple questions.

I added 4 small fish to the tank from the pet store, pladids or something like that.

Right now this is the condition of my water.

Temp - 75 F
    PH - 7
    Ammonia - 8 ppm
    Nitrite - 0 ppm
    Nitrate - 40 ppm

I have not fed the fish since yesterday and I am hoping the Ammonia levels will fall. Is this normal for a system as it starts up? Is there anything I can do to make sure the ammonia levels do not kill the fish? I added a bottle of Stress Zyme a couple days ago and a bit more last night.

I also was hoping that with the way this system is working I could avoid using an aerator. What do you guys think?

Re: Bioritize System Progress

For now, stopping the feeding of your fish is the best bet. Adding Stress Zyme at this point doesn't do much good for it will only create more ammonia when it converts the solid waste.

Just as a note, I recently learned that chloramines in the water (city water from the tap) show up as ammonia when using your test kit. I recently saw a post that had high ammonia from the tap. That may have been chloramine, which can only be removed via a filter designed to do just that.

Check the water you are putting into your system and, if it is clean, then you may need to do a water exchange. The ammonia is too high and if it were me, I would (and have) have done a water exchange by now in order to get the ammonia down below 1 ppm.

Oliver
    To measure is to know

I tested my tap water for ammonia and it came up negative. I drained about 10 gallons or so out and replaced with 10 gallons I had sitting around for a week or so.

I have a Brita filter for drinking water that I could easily set up in the orange bucket, would that be a good or bad idea?

What puzzles me is the nitrates in the water without the presence of nitrites.

Thanks,

Members

a lot of water districts have high nitrate levels due to aggi runoff and perculation. usually if that is the case there should have been a letter warning pregnant and nursing mothers to not drink the water. are you on a well or municipal?

if the bond is broken between the chlorine and the ammonia in chlorimines the ammonia will be released. this can happen if a
    GAC filter's carbon is to weak to attract the chlorimines as a unit or a chlorine neutralizer is used that is not capable of neutralizing the ammonia. an API test kit can handle it. i'm not sure about some of the others giving false readings. the bottle of neutralizer should tell you.

I am on local city water, just tested it;

Ph 8.8
    Amonia 0 ppm
    Nitirite 0 ppm
    Nitrate 40-80 ppm

That is an insane Ph.

I have the master test kit that test ph, high ph, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. I don't have a neutralizer. I have not used any chlorine neutralizers, I just let the water sit for a week or so, and some of it I ran through my Brita filter.

Can I hook the brita to my system and let it filter all the water for a while? Will that hurt my efforts to colonize the bacteria?

Members

The filter won't hurt your system. Ask for a water analysis from your water supplier they have to give it too you.
    Ask them the source of the high nitrates.
    The pH will come down as the system ages. Don't add acid or pH down yet.

Water report here, http://www.dmww.com/WaterQuality.aspx#Water

They say the Ph is 9.6 ?????

Wow. I cannot believe the water quality, my nitrate test says 80 ppm or close to it.

You don't need the fish then, LOL!

Interesting posts.

I agree, with nitrates that high, who needs fish. Wish my nitrates were coming in like that. Not really, for that might be hazardous to your health. Not saying it is, but it would concern me.

As for the pH, the good news is the autotrophic bacteria really like it high; but it is starting to look like you may not have any. It is only a guess, but I would purchase some starter bacteria and add it to your system. Keep doing a water exchange to get your ammonia level down to below 1.0 ppm.

The one thing that you have not measured here is dissolved oxygen, for if it is not high enough, the bacteria won't multiply. I know, a DO meter is expensive, so make sure you have lots of spray-back water into your fish tank and ample aeration via aerators, especially if your water is warm; for warm water will drive out DO.

This is a puzzle you have presented here. Remember, shake the number two bottle of nitrate solution for two minutes before adding to your vile. Otherwise, it can give you false readings. Then let the well shaken mixture set for about 15 to 20 minutes to settle out and complete its color change.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Oliver
    To measure is to know

I put the filter in line with the system to help filter the ammonia.

So should I replace the tank water with this city water? I was worried about big swings in PH, with the little fish in here. But I guess if the ammonia kills them we are in a greater evil scenario.

Should I let new water set for a while to help evaporate the chlorine.

I have made sure I shake the ammonia bottle #2, the ppm test is going all the way to the green it may be more than 8 ppm.

How much exactly is a DO test, and perhaps I should go out and get a air stone and pump.

The water temp is around 75 F. I just tested the ammonia again it is 8 ppm right now. Should I continue with the water change, if so should I filter the water or let it set first?