Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Grow Lights

Re: Grow Lights

Quote Originally Posted by rfeiller
    if the HPS where not the best for now, the serious growers wouldn't be spending the money on utilities and the equipment. i don't care if it's roses or cannibus you won't find a flourescent lite in the place. i should clarify this, flourescents are used for cloning and seedlings.
    Umm, what about all those huge state-of-the-art hydroponic farms in Japan that only use fluorescent bulbs?

It has to do with how much light and of what spectrum comes out of the light. It's not as simple as saying "X bulb is better because I say so" the plant needs what it needs and the options are out there with their respective pros and cons. I have successfully grown peppers indoors and had a better crop than outdoors that season. It probably had to do with the fact I could give the plant more light indoors and control the temp, but results are restults.

Ultimately, we can debate it back and forth. The science is very simple behind the lights, but the best thing to do is try it for yourself to settle all doubts.

I have this inexpensive device that lets you look at a light source and it breaks down the spectrum against the wavelength on a scale. It's a crude instrument, but works quiet well to compare lights. You can't make out the exact intensity of the areas, but you can get a good idea of what areas are stronger and weaker. This gives you a point of comparison... anyway... hope that helps

here, I dug it up for you...

Quan Analysis Spectroscope
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0015T7JH2

Members

japan is a very unique entity. they take great pride in perfection. i know this because a large percentage of the tropical fish i raised commercially went there. i know that it was nothing for a japanese individual to spend a thousand dollars on a single aquarium for just a couple of my fish. in the usa if a person spent 100 dollars it was too much. it certainly not comparing apples to apples. theri grow rooms are laboratories and i can assure you none of their lights came from home depot.
    their building codes for example are about 7 years ahead of ours.
    i have toured and know a number of folks with commercial big dollar set ups here and none of them use fluorescents lighting for grow out, flowering, or fruiting. they are looking at led technology, but except for cloning have passed up fluorescents. i go by results and what is happening with successful producers, not the lets get by guys.

Quote Originally Posted by urbanfarmer
    Umm, what about all those huge state-of-the-art hydroponic farms in Japan that only use fluorescent bulbs?
    You got a link?

Members

If I wasn't debating just stating what I have seen and experienced. I have read several articles on the Japanese systems and believe me no one has a greater respect for their accomplishments then I.

I was just told Taiwan is just as cutting edge if not more than Japan on these types of agricultural technologies! If anyone finds anything, please share!

Members

I'm using a 90 watt LED grow light from prosource the growth is simply amazing... Like you I wanted to see the difference. Pricey as heck. 300 bucks for one light. If money is no object go LED. If your on a budget like most are I'd go with T5 fluorescent. Unless I win the Lotto I doubt I'll be buying more to grow my lettuces and tomatoes. Oh one other thing my mortality rate of my fish exposed to LED lights is not good on that system either. Lose a gold fish a week in perfect conditions... water and temp wise. System in garage with huge temp and water conditions swings. Haven't lost a fish in ages.
    --------------------------------------------
    “In school, you’re taught a lesson & then given a test.
    In life, you’re given a test that teaches you a lesson.”
    ? Tom Bodett

Tell me more about the LED. How far do you have it from the plants? What kind of plants? What square foot area is the light providing? Do you use any other lights or just that one? What spectrum was it (red/blue/white/mixed)?

Members

I have it 24 inches above the plants. I'm currently using it on about 1.5 sq foot grow bed. It is using Red, Blue, and Orange LED's very little light from a window and I don't often have the light on in the living room. Even though plant growth for this light is AWSOME the price is outside most people budget. I'm getting growth from a one month old system better than I would get off of a fully cycled 1 year old system. Haven't check out the performance on fruiting plants yet. I just got the light a day or so after I started this system up.
    Here is there web site. You can go read there propaganda about there light. Just take into consider we are not there target market.
    http://www.prosourceworldwide.com/
    “In school, you’re taught a lesson & then given a test.
    In life, you’re given a test that teaches you a lesson.”
    ? Tom Bodett