Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Grow Lights

Re: Grow Lights

Bioritize, go to your profile and put in the city/state/country where you live.....maybe some member/s are close to you.
    JCO
    Irish eyes are always smiling but
    • "In the eyes of the world, you are only as good as your last success"
    so never forget
    • "MAN IS ONLY LIMITED BY HIS IMAGINATION"

I use standard off the shelf fl shop lights with daylight bulbs (6500K). The fixure costs $10 on sale, and the bulbs around $2 each. 80watts for $14. You replace the enire thing about every year, but it is the cheapest way if you can't use sunlight. Growlights and LED's just are not worth the cost.
    The best fertilizer is the farmer's shadow

Quote Originally Posted by badflash
    I use standard off the shelf fl shop lights with daylight bulbs (6500K). The fixure costs $10 on sale, and the bulbs around $2 each. 80watts for $14. You replace the enire thing about every year, but it is the cheapest way if you can't use sunlight. Growlights and LED's just are not worth the cost.
    THIS is exactly what I do 4' shop light fixtures for $10 and the bulbs for $1.50. This costs me $13! Try your local home improvement type store.

Badflash, do you happen to have the brand or even model number for those T12 bulbs??? In my store I could only locate the 40 Watt / 5000K color bulb, which may be why it's 50 cents cheaper...

Members

home depot's shop lites use T12 bulbs out here

Very much looking forward to your results. I have a hood and HPS 600 watt bulb from a buddy of mine he left at my place when he was moving.

I just went out and bought a 1000 watt dimmable ballast from my local hydro shop. It was about $300 but I can use any bulb I can get my hands on and it will also be enough to handle a larger system when I build that one. I would have gone with the Fluorescent if I had not already had the hood and bulb.

Thanks guys for the advice.

My plans are to go bigger and bigger, there is only 1 fish farm in my state that I know of. So, may be the right time for this idea in my city large scale.

Take care,

Quote Originally Posted by Bioritize
    Very much looking forward to your results. I have a hood and HPS 600 watt bulb from a buddy of mine he left at my place when he was moving.

I just went out and bought a 1000 watt dimmable ballast from my local hydro shop. It was about $300 but I can use any bulb I can get my hands on and it will also be enough to handle a larger system when I build that one. I would have gone with the Fluorescent if I had not already had the hood and bulb.

Thanks guys for the advice.

My plans are to go bigger and bigger, there is only 1 fish farm in my state that I know of. So, may be the right time for this idea in my city large scale.

Take care,
    It sounds like money is no object for you! That's great for a hobby. The thing about fluorescent bulbs is they don't waste a lot of energy as heat. This translates to savings on the electric bill (is some cases massive savings). In a commercial situation it's best to use fluorescent bulbs. Japan has large indoor hydroponic farms that supply vast amounts of food and they exclusively use fluorescent bulbs (however I have heard they were developing some cost-effective LED grow lighs but the research was not done yet).

Hmm, if the fluorescent do just fine. Perhaps I should return the ballast and exchange for the Fluorescent light. I justified the ballast purchase because I figured it would be necessary for larger setup's.

I may go swap this out today.

If you want to grow fruiting plants I would hold onto the HPS/MH fixture. You can grow tons of vegetation under flourescents but fruit set is sporadic and slowgrowing at best.

LED's the technology is there but it's still way expensive for the right color/intensity bulbs, and IMHO forget the toy LED lights they sell at the hydro stores, I've never seen a healthy plant growing under one.

Members

if the HPS where not the best for now, the serious growers wouldn't be spending the money on utilities and the equipment. i don't care if it's roses or cannibus you won't find a flourescent lite in the place. i should clarify this, flourescents are used for cloning and seedlings.

Quote Originally Posted by urbanfarmer
    Badflash, do you happen to have the brand or even model number for those T12 bulbs??? In my store I could only locate the 40 Watt / 5000K color bulb, which may be why it's 50 cents cheaper...
    Phillips at Home Depot or Lowes. I get the case of 10
    The best fertilizer is the farmer's shadow