Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Aquaponics realistic for grid-down situation?

I'm not a gloom and doom world ending radical but I do see signs of a drastic change in the American lifestyle within what is left of my lifetime. With the condition of our economy, career politicians building an ever increasing wasteful system, corruption in the money markets (not just banks) and the plethora of other major crisis we have due to greed and ignorance, something just has to give. We will end up like Greece and go bankrupt and the world will have a much different, harsher look about it. I have some defense, I have some preparations, I am learning more about how things were done in those simpler times a century ago. Will it be devastating if I never need these things? HELL NO! But it could mean it may not be as hard as it could have been if needed.

I like to think I'm a nice guy, willing to befriend and help those I am friends with. Family comes first and foremost and then the friends. The rest I say live and let live and judge not lest ye be judged. If/when the time comes the best we can all do is our best and to remain honorable.
    At what point did our government cease to be of the people, by the people, and for the people?

I agree with you 100%. There is no shame in being prepared. If some want to think negatively of us who are making plans "Just in case" then so be it, I have no problem with that. My issue has always been with those who sit around talking about how little the next generation knows, while doing nothing to teach them or show them. But that is another discussion all in itself, maybe I should start a new thread for that, to not interrupt this one.
    Never show your ignorance, by thinking you know it all

You want scary? What if an EMP hit the East coast of the US...how long do you think it would be before the city slickers in NY City, Philly and some of the other large cities there would be eating each other, not to mention the rapes, robberies and just out and out murder for not apparent reason other than just because they could get away with it.
    JCO
    Irish eyes are always smiling but
    • "In the eyes of the world, you are only as good as your last success"
    so never forget
    • "MAN IS ONLY LIMITED BY HIS IMAGINATION"

It's funny how there is no talk from the government agencies, ie; DHS, DOJ, DOD ETC. EMP could be as devastating as any of the hydrogen bombs in existence. The only difference is the killing becomes a by product rather than a direct cause. The greatest terrorist threat is poison in the water supply. Unseen until to many are sick and dying and to hard to get back out of a contaminated system. Oh, I'd better be quiet, I've been drinking the koolaid again. Look out, there are ruffled feathers coming!
    At what point did our government cease to be of the people, by the people, and for the people?

Ruffled feathers??? Fish don't have feathers?
    I remember when I used to drive truck and haul produce, I was told NYC operated on a 3 day food supply. Stop the supply coming in and in 3 days the stores would be empty. With the increasing population, it may be a bit less now. Most of the major cities are on an equally short food supply.
    During the great depression, people in the cities were standing in soup lines. The people in the rural areas had nothing in the way of THINGS, but they were still able to eat. The population unable to feed itself has grown dramatically since that time I am certain.

I have heard the 3 day period also, but let there be a forecast of some snow around here and there will be no bread or milk in a matter of hours. Let there be a natural or man made disaster and I believe all food stocks will go as fast.

Roger you are absolutely right. The same thing happens here every time they predict a big snow storm coming in. People are lined up at the gas pumps trying to fill up there cars and like you said, bread and milk are gone quick. I have a freight liner farm truck with 125gal. tanks on each side, I keep it full most of the time. I figure I could siphon out of it for a while to run my pickup. Our big problem is the ice storms come through and knock all the power lines down, we are quite often without power at least once or twice for several days in the winter.

I have 3 Cadillacs and a pickup truck and a generator, limb chipper and lawn mower in the garage. At any time I have 100 gallons of gas available to me so I stay stocked up for the just in case. No kids here so no need for a lot of milk and I'm not a bread lover. My pantry stays stocked so I'll leave the worrying to the amateurs and throw another log on the fire.

Speaking of Generators, around here those whole home natural gas generators seem to be installed more and more. I have a few small portable generators, but not a big one. The problem I have always seen with generators is they do not get used much, then when you need them, the engine has been sitting and is sometimes hard to start, etc. I have been looking at a PTO driven generator to use with my tractor. One of those things I have been putting of buying. I will probably get one before winter. My tractor is used several times a week to feed with. I know it will start and run with no issues, and the PTO generators are relatively inexpensive, because you are not buying an engine, just a generator.

You like innovation???? Build your you own huge generator.....buy a junk/wrecked car with an engine in decent shape with power to the rear/front (whichever drives), jack it up, take a wheel off, take the tire off, put the rim back on, wrap on a flat sawmill belt and put that to your pulley on your huge generator and you have all the power you need idling in low gear/drive for a small fuel use.

Any other problems (besides with women) just ask:-

"MR. FIXIT HERE" Military trained to survive regardless of where or when...and since that guy was bragging about his stored food goods, I know what's supper..!
    JCO
    Irish eyes are always smiling but
    • "In the eyes of the world, you are only as good as your last success"
    so never forget
    • "MAN IS ONLY LIMITED BY HIS IMAGINATION"