Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Members

Re: Aquaponics realistic for grid-down situation?

This is actually something that has been discussed in my house a LOT. Our thoughts and plans are pretty simple. We plan to use the solar panels to generate enough power to run the pumps/air a few hours each day, and to charge some batteries the rest of the day. The AP system is a 'stop-gap' for us. Something to add extra nutrients to our diets if and when things get really lean, until the soil gardens are producing more, or if some other unforeseen issue arises. But, this is a great thread and can and should open up some deep, thoughtful conversation...
    Whether you think you CAN or you CAN'T... You're right.
    Foxwood Run Farm, LLC
    York, PA

I have 2 small solar arrays right now. One powers my garage and one to power the aquaponics. They are not enough to live comfortable but will be enough to sustain when tshtf. I am going to build a small wind turbine that I have found plans for and mount it to the corner of my house where the wind seems to channel itself fairly briskly. I have a gen set but fuel will be an issue. The pioneers found ways, so will us who have the will to survive. Prepare, it's time seems to be getting closer everyday.
    At what point did our government cease to be of the people, by the people, and for the people?

Members

Quote Originally Posted by Roger L.
    I am going to build a small wind turbine that I have found plans for and mount it to the corner of my house where the wind seems to channel itself fairly briskly.
    I would advise discretion on that. Solar is quiet, low to the ground, and easy to camouflage in a pinch. A wind turbine is pretty much an open invitation to anyone with nefarious intent, or just really in dire straights...

Just my 2 cents.
    Foxwood Run Farm, LLC
    York, PA

Yes it could be a flag saying "look at me, I prepared". Good point. I'm still going to build it just for kicks and could wire it and just install at night to charge some batteries.
    At what point did our government cease to be of the people, by the people, and for the people?

Members

Quote Originally Posted by Roger L.
    Yes it could be a flag saying "look at me, I prepared". Good point. I'm still going to build it just for kicks and could wire it and just install at night to charge some batteries.
    OpSec is always my first consideration for any mods...
    Foxwood Run Farm, LLC
    York, PA

Security is #1, makes no difference what resources you have, if you cannot keep them they will do you no good.
    I will relate a short story to illustrate this. Come on guys it is a good story!!!

Anyone remember the Y2K scare?? Everything was going to stop in the year 2000??
    My father-in-law drinks coffee every morning with a bunch of other old men down at the restaurant. One man was giving daily reports of what food he was storing in his basement, 55 gallon plastic barrels of beans, rice, water etc. He would constantly ask everyone else what they were planning to do and what they were stocking up on to prepare. Finally after a few weeks, he directly ask one of the other men what he was stocking up on, in the way of food. The man replied, he was not stocking up on any food!! To which the man ask "what are you going to do when all of the stores run out of groceries and you nothing to eat. The man calmly looked over at him and replied " I have guns and lots of ammunition, and I know where all the food is". The first man never gave a report on the food he was stock piling in his basement again after that!!
    Never show your ignorance, by thinking you know it all

Quote Originally Posted by 15mules
    Security is #1, makes no difference what resources you have, if you cannot keep them they will do you no good.
    I will relate a short story to illustrate this. Come on guys it is a good story!!!

Anyone remember the Y2K scare?? Everything was going to stop in the year 2000??
    My father-in-law drinks coffee every morning with a bunch of other old men down at the restaurant. One man was giving daily reports of what food he was storing in his basement, 55 gallon plastic barrels of beans, rice, water etc. He would constantly ask everyone else what they were planning to do and what they were stocking up on to prepare. Finally after a few weeks, he directly ask one of the other men what he was stocking up on, in the way of food. The man replied, he was not stocking up on any food!! To which the man ask "what are you going to do when all of the stores run out of groceries and you nothing to eat. The man calmly looked over at him and replied " I have guns and lots of ammunition, and I know where all the food is". The first man never gave a report on the food he was stock piling in his basement again after that!!

I prefer the Johny Appleseed approach. For years, whenever I go fishing/huntin/hiking I plant a few seeds of edible crops. I really don't do this often, but I don't have to. Some survive, some don't, but over the years hidden food gardens have begun to grow wild throughout my area. I visit these areas with very little frequency, but when I do I see the strange leafs out of place with the native vegetation. Knowledge, you see, if properly wielded, is more powerful than guns or ammo. That man's wife with all the guns... purdy sure she's not worried about the food either.

Good idea with the fruit trees. I feel pretty lucky to live where I do, there are lots of natural resources and many edibles that grow wild here as well. My mules allow me to access places many just cannot get to, in search of these things also.

down-size the system to meet your immediate needs as well as makes it more mobile and easier to conceal and defend.
    Use solar panels with deep cycle batteries to to run your pumps.
    Use small wind turbine to either charge batteries at night or to directly pump air into the system.
    For food....larvae, worms, old veggies and duckweed should supplement
    for water....WSHTF...that will be a very expensive and sought after commodity....
    Rain catchment and/or wells will have to supply drinking water and tank replenishment.
    You would have to really minimize the evaporation from GB and FT.
    Great thread to make you think....
    Put all excuses aside and remember this: YOU are capable - Zig Ziglar

Good ideas, I really like the kinds of discussions. I am not convinced the world will end tomorrow, but I really figure the more self sufficient we are, the more economically we can live, which means less time working and more time doing things we want to do. If we like to live simply with less THINGS, well that just makes it all the better.