Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Members

Aquaponics realistic for grid-down situation?

I'm a newbie to aquaponics, and this question came up while I was going through Oliver's "how to" course. He suggested I post it as its own topic in the forum to see what others have to say:

I'm interested in aquaponics as a way to feed my family once things get really tough.

According to what I have read in this forum: "once you have your system up and running, you never, ever, want to turn it off; not even for the night. You might want to consider some kind of a power back-up in case of a power failure."

What do you suggest using as a backup power source once TSHTF? In a case where there is no access to fuel or electricity for over a year, does anyone have suggestions? You'd also need a backup power source as well... and solar power may or may not be completely reliable.

Also, how/where would you find the nutrients, etc you need to keep the water, fish & bacteria at optimum levels once TSHTF?

I find myself wondering if aquaponics is a viable solution for a grid-down situation. It may take more water and work to get food from the ground, but you don't have the concerns of power/backup power, pH levels, bacteria, etc, etc. And there's only so much you can stockpile... we have no way of knowing if we'll be off-grid for 2 months or 12 years.

I may be way off base (and I probably am). Could someone set me straight? Thanks.

Members

Re: Aquaponics realistic for grid-down situation?

most of the systems here are "backyard" and rely on the grid..
    of course the more you put into a system the more you want "failovers".. that being said, i'm thinking biodiesal generator might be an option for when "TSHTF", but if something major happens, i think "defense" would be the number one priority..
    take it a step further and look up info on preppers, there was a recent show on natgeo that led me to this guy;
    http://gardenpool.org/
    some great stuff there, but i'm not sure how i feel about the chicken poo into the ft

CBB,

Since you moved this over to here, I'll move my reply as well.

You bring up some good points, many of which we've considered.

If you reduce the fish density, then you could turn off the pumps for a period of time depending on that density. Considering this, you could run the system during the day on solar, assuming the sun is shining, and turn off the water pumps at night.

Reducing the fish density will not necessarily reduce the nutrient value. As long as the fish to bio-filter ratio is maintained and the fish to plant ratio is also maintained the fish to water ratio can be reduced by increasing the amount of water in the system. This can be done by increasing the size of the fish tank. It will take longer initially to build up the nutrients but given the above, they will be maintained. This will also make the system more stable, meaning that it will take longer for it's chemistry to change.

You must, however, maintain a high level of dissolved oxygen in the fish tank. It would be best for the fish to have their final daily meal several hours before turning off the water pumps in order for the fish to produce their final waste of the day and for it to be processed.

We have looked at a sustainable system, including fish food, and to some extent you can capture the part of the vegetables you grow that is not consumed, desiccate it, grind it up and pelletize it. For the most part, you need to live in a climate where you can grow and store fish food by using standard soil planting techniques in order to have enough food for the fish year round. You can also desiccate the leftover fish parts and process it along with the veggies for fish food protein.

As an aside, we purchase palletized fish food in large quantities relative the amount of fish we have, bag it in one gallon zip locks and put it in the chest freezer until we are ready to use it. We do this because left unfrozen, it has a short shelf life.

Vegetables are mainly water. Once desiccated they are mainly carbon, which is sequestered from the CO2 in the air. The fish are the same. The fish food, then, does not make up most of the mass of the fish. The fish waste does not make up most of the mass of the vegetables. So, there is no perpetual motion going on here. It is possible then, to grow enough fish food in the aquaponics system to sustain the process.

Worms may be another alternative for fish food. Others here can chime in on that option.

Fish are sustainable as any fish farmer knows. Plants are sustainable as any tillage farmer knows (unless Monsanto gets involved).

As for sustainable power, I am an advocate of ethanol. You can grow plants that have a high gallons per acre (over 1000 gallons per year) of ethanol. Ethanol can be used for running a generator when the sun is not shinning. Ethanol can be stored for long periods. A century ago, almost every farm had an ethanol still for running farm equipment before Rockefeller backed the suffrage movement in order to stop its production and get petroleum as the only fuel for automobiles through the guise of probation. It is now legal in the US to have a still and the permit is easy to obtain. Ethanol is making a huge comeback in the US and around the world. I'm not talking about the politics of ethanol, but its use as a sustainable fuel. As for the politics of ethanol, there is a large effort on the part of the Petroleum Institute to get people to believe that in it some way makes food prices increase, which is pure propaganda on their part.

Aquaponics has its down side as you have indicated. It should be considered as a part of a greater whole when looking at a total sustainable solution in case of WTSHTF. Or, as the flying nun once said, when the fertilizer hits the ventilator.

Oliver
    To measure is to know

I agree. Be creative and you will find the solutions for your specific needs!

Members

i personally feel the when and if something does happen, the transition from one form of self sustainability will evolve into the next. i find aquaponics probably is the most difficult to maintain by far. red wigglers/ vermiponics being possibly the easiest because you don't have to purchase nutrients.

i am believing that water will be at a premium so i count in ground out, unless my artesian springs are still flowing at that time of the year.

Members

Ok, I've been doing research, and it seems that I can set up a solar system in my house with battery backup that will provide the power needed to run the pumps/oxygenator... so I'm focused now on building an aquaponics system.

Now I have other questions...

#1: I live in an area with a LOT of critters who like to eat fresh vegetables. I was thinking of setting everything up inside a greenhouse to protect the plants from the critters. Would an aquaponics system work well inside an enclosed greenhouse?

#2: I'm setting this up in Tennessee (on a mountain, so about 10 degrees cooler than the flatlands). What would be a good fish to use if I want to grow year-round?

#3: How much sun and/or shade will I need for optimum plant growth and optimum fish health?

Thanks for your input!

Quote Originally Posted by chesapeakebaybe
    Ok, I've been doing research, and it seems that I can set up a solar system in my house with battery backup that will provide the power needed to run the pumps/oxygenator... so I'm focused now on building an aquaponics system.

Now I have other questions...

#1: I live in an area with a LOT of critters who like to eat fresh vegetables. I was thinking of setting everything up inside a greenhouse to protect the plants from the critters. Would an aquaponics system work well inside an enclosed greenhouse?

#2: I'm setting this up in Tennessee (on a mountain, so about 10 degrees cooler than the flatlands). What would be a good fish to use if I want to grow year-round?

#3: How much sun and/or shade will I need for optimum plant growth and optimum fish health?

Thanks for your input!
    1) Eat the critters.

2) Catfish should work. Do some research there are tons of fish species on this beautiful planet and one can suit your needs. Often, the native species are a sure fire bet since they obviously already live there.

3) Depends on the species of plants. There's a huge range in that.

Defense....hmmm. Here's the problem. I grew up listening to the old people talk about chickens during the depression. They would have 5 chickens, and when they had to leave the property, a small lot. Someone would come and steal one. And cut the wire open to do it letting all the others out. Setting up your own 'compound' to feed your own will work, only as long as you can keep the roving gangs and masses out. As soon as they discover you have something, they will come and take it. Ever see one chicken try and keep a piece of bread from the other 30?
    At first I left this blank...but now I believe: "It's better to keep your mouth closed, and have the world think your a fool, than open it and confirm it."

I know this is an old thread, but interesting none the less. I really think in a shtf situation a AP system would create some challenges to keep running, as would anything that relied on electricity. Yes, generators would work fine made from homemade fuel. I think the bigger problem as mentioned already would be security. A person would have a hard time convincing their neighbors they are doing without also, while they could hear the generator chugging away in the background. Just like any survival situation though, the best solution to a problem is not one solution, but many different solutions. I would not rely on only AP to provide all my food. Just as I would not rely on only on weapon to provide my security.
    Never show your ignorance, by thinking you know it all

It can be done, but my immediate suggestion would be to move to a low-density system. This will make the designed system more flexible for a survival situation, but perhaps not the most productive.