1.What animals are generally used for aquaponics?
2.What kinds of fish should I use for my aquaponics system?
3.What kinds of fish are used in a warm water system?
4.What kinds of fish are used in a cold water system?
5.What invertebrates are used in an Aquaponics system?
6.How can invertebrates be beneficial to an aquaponics system?
7.How do worms fit into the picture?
8. What kinds of fish diseases should I be aware of with tilapia?

(1).What animals are generally used for aquaponics?

Fish, invertebrates, and worms. Please check the links on the DIY Homepage, as well as the DIY Classified and the DIY Forums for more information.

(2).What kinds of fish should I use for my aquaponics system?

It depends on whether you have a warm water system or a cold water system .....and where you are in the world. Please check the links on the DIY Homepage, as well as the DIY Classified and the DIY Forums for more information..

(3).What kinds of fish are used in a warm water system?

Usually those that are native to a more tropical climate. Tilapia, Bluegill, Perch, etc. Please check the links on the DIY Homepage, as well as the DIY Classified and the DIY Forums for more information.

(4).What kinds of fish are used in a cold water system?

Usually those that are native to the colder climes. Bass, Trout. Carp, etc. Please check the links on the DIY Homepage, as well as the DIY Classified and the DIY Forums for more information.

(5).What invertebrates are used in an Aquaponics system?

Usually crayfish, snails, and freshwater clams. Please check the links on the DIY Homepage, as well as the DIY Classified and the DIY Forums for more information.

(6).How can invertebrates be beneficial to an aquaponics system?

Invertebrates help clean up wasted foods and other debris on the bottom of the fish tank, as well as processing some of the fish wastes which helps prevent fish diseases in the tank. Freshwater clams are a natural, living filter organism, which helps keep the water clean as well. Invertebrates add to the waste, which provides more fertilizer for your plants. Please check the links on the DIY Homepage, as well as the DIY Classified and the DIY Forums for more information.

(7).How do worms fit into the picture?

It is said that redworms, a composting worm, can live in a Flood and Drain system, processing fish and invertebrate wastes, and creating wastes of their own which can be processed by the beneficial bacteria in the grow-bed. Please check the links on the DIY Homepage, as well as the DIY Classified and the DIY Forums for more information.

8. What kinds of fish diseases should I be aware of with tilapia?

Look at the links on the DIY homepage, and check out this link on our forum Clik

Disclaimer - NOTE: DIYAquaponics does not recommend one or the other of any supplier listed in these FAQS, they are private businesses, and are not associated with DIYAquaponics.

If you would like more critters to be added to this list, or if you feel there should be additional questions added and answered, contact the moderator, Jackalope, in a PM.