Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Bsfman's "frankenstein" system

Fish fat is not naturally high in Omega 3's. This comes from what they eat. This has been one of the big criticisms of tilapia. Cold water fish like Cod have access to krill and other critters that are loaded with Omega 3's and these carry on to the fish. If you feed tilapia feed high in Omega 3's, you get tilapia with it.

The belly fat comes off when you fillet, so it is lost weight. It melts off when you cook, so it doesn't do much good.

Finfish Bronze is actually what you should feed tilapia, but I can't get it here. Many people grow "pond scum" which is a green filamentous algae. It grows explosively in water from animal run off. Use this with the BSF to lower the fat levels and it is a win-win.

I am amazed that tilapia farmers and pig farmers don't team up.
    The best fertilizer is the farmer's shadow

Re: Bsfman's "frankenstein" system

Depending what you feed the BSF it will have higher/lower protein/fat. As far as the quality of protein, it depends on the amino acids that make up the protein. Not all protein is created equal.

I have been putting together data of protein/fat of BSF and yours seems higher on protein and lower in fat than what I have found so far, but I have also found BSF that analyze to much lower protein and fat. It just depends what you feed them.