(Copied from my intro post... Mostly!)
Hello all,

I am just getting started with my aquaponics build so I thought I would post what I have done to this point and what I plan to do in the future.

So far I have 2 IBCs that I will be using as my fish tank and sump tank.
I have cut the tops off of both and painted them.
Will probably use the tops I cut off as covers that I sit on the metal supports from the top after I replace them. Use bungee cords to hold them down.

I am in the process of finding 3 to 4 more IBCs to use as my grow beds.
I will cut them so I have a little over 12 inches of space for grow media per top and bottom.
That will give me 6-8 containers for grow beds and 275 Gallons for sump and FT which I may add 1 more tank for FT if need be.

I was also thinking of adding strawberry towers going back into the FT from the sump but haven't looked into what I need to do to fully set them up.

I plan to use hydroton for my grow media unless there is a better/more cost effective alternative. I believe the 50L bags are $40usd at the local store.

I was thinking of laying my system out with the FT sitting on a few blocks about 1 to 2 ft off the ground so it can gravity feed into the beds.
Then all the beds will be connected with tubing at the bottom and top so they fill evenly.
Will probably have 2 rows of 3 grow beds so the system isn't too long with a 3-4ft path between them.
The beds will sit a little higher than the sump so that they can feed into it easier through gravity/bell siphons.

Then I will have the pump in the sump tank to send water to the towers then back into the FT.

I will probably put the FT and Sump at the same end and may just run the siphons to a pipe that has the strawberries in it and back to the sump that way.

Looking into a few different pumps but have no settled on anything yet.

How does this sound and what changes would you recommend.

Here is the plan I have in mind:

May add a second FT and sump if capacity needs it.

*** From the reply's I received from my hello post I believe I will take the advice of putting a siphon on each grow bed and feed each separately. Still debating how I may do the strawberries but only time will tell.
I also picked up 4 more IBCs yesterday. Not in new condition but for $30 I can't complain. May use one as another sump or water storage to top off the system if it runs low. ***

Matt