Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Members

Big Johns first steps into AP

Well since we have a Big Al I thought I should be the Big John

I have a 10x12 Greenhouse and want to dedicate it to AP. I first thought I would start with IBC containers for fish, but finding known clean ones for a reasonable price has been difficult. I really like the Ferrocement tanks that Stucco is using and I may end up going that direction, not sure on the cost though, after adding the epoxy paint the cost may be up there also.

So here are my current options and cost estimates

1. Build an 11.5' x 2' x 2' box from lumber that I have all ready and purchase a pvc liner for around $100.00, apx 700g
    2. Have a chance to purchase 3 87 gallon tubs at about $20.00 ea, apx 250g
    3. I have a 4' x 3' cement pipe that I could use with the addition of a PVC liner for around $75.00, apx 285g
    4. 110g stock tanks at $65.00, could start with two and expand later.

The first two options could fit inside the greenhouse, the third could go outside and be mostly buried in ground.

I would like to start with about a 200g system with the room to grow, option 1 could be built but only filled part way to meet that.

The growbeds I am planning on building from lumber with a PVC liner also.

I am in Northern California in the Sacramento area, we have temp swings from freezing in the winter to 105 in the summer. Looking at keeping catfish, Blugill or perch.

looking for direction

Thanks

Big John

Members

Re: Big Johns first steps into AP

Welcome to the forum
    EDPM liner will last twice as long as PVC.and is tougher. Keep us posted. The first option will grow with you without additional cost. My 2cents

Hi Big John...
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Welcome to the show....pull up an easy chair, relax and stay awhile. New voices are always a welcome addition to our family..! Whatever questions you have on you mind, this is the place to get the answers so pick a topic of your interest and start your own thread and Enjoy.
    JCO
    Irish eyes are always smiling but
    • "In the eyes of the world, you are only as good as your last success"
    so never forget
    • "MAN IS ONLY LIMITED BY HIS IMAGINATION"

Greetings Earthling, and welcome!

Members

Thanks for the welcome,

Really leaning towards the wood box with liner, hope EPDM. I know with that I will do it once and be done. The plastic tubs I worry about getting old and breaking.

Soon as I get done with the retaining wall in front of the green house I will start digging so I can recess the FT in the ground about 16-18", that way the temps will stay more stable and I will not have to build a box quite as high. I am thinking two 2" x 12" (23") plus the recess should give me around 40" of depth, is there any problem with a tank that deep? should have access all the way along the top.

John

Welcome John.

Members

I have been collecting used Hydroton, but don't think I will get enough for what I need. I need to know what type of rock can I use that will not effect the PH of the system. I have seen people use lava, but have not heard what it will do to the PH.

Thanks
    John

I've been using the bags of red stone from Home Depot, also the river stone from HD, neither has affected my ph, but the are heavy.

Members

Thanks, I will drop by HD and take a look. One bed will be on the ground so I may try it on that bed. I tend to overbuild anyway so I don't think the weight will be an issue.

Picking up another 300L of Hydroton tomorrow, but that may be the last for awhile.

John