Members

Can I build an aquaponics system on a lake?

I'm one of several people who live on a 29 acre freshwater lake. No gas or electric powered boats are allowed on the lake... only canoes, kayaks, and swimming. Plus there's plenty of fish.

I was think that - instead of building a pond in my backyard, I could set up an aquaponics system using my built-in lake.

Being new to aquaponics, I wanted to ask those of you who have more expertise, whether this is a good idea and, if so, what adjustments I might have to make when building my system.

Thanks SO much for your input.

Re: Can I build an aquaponics system on a lake?

You can probably use make-up water from the lake, but that could open you up to diseases. The idea is to build up nutrients from the fish high enough to grow plants. If you just water to grow fish, then you could raise fish in cages in the pond.
    The best fertilizer is the farmer's shadow

Members

Actually, I was thinking I could use the lake (w/fish in it) in lieu of a pond or tank with fish... and use the lake water to feed the plants (instead of feeding them water from a pond or tank). My thought was, I've got half the system already "built" sitting at the end of my backyard.

Hi chesapeakebaybe...

As Badflash already mentioned...I also, don't know if you'd have enough nutes in the water. If you tried a foliar spray, you may end up adding too many nutes in the return water and create an algae bloom, in your part of the lake.
    There would also be the issue of dissolved oxygen, more of a concern if you did a raft system. Perhaps you could run the water through a de-gassing tower before you have it go to the plants.
    I guess keeping the intake on the pump clean, wouldn't be much more difficult then one in a typical closed AP system.
    You may want to check the regs in your state/county....there may be laws in regards to using lake water (?)
    Good luck...
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Members

welcome to the forum.

Welcome to the show....pull up an easy chair, relax and stay awhile. New voices are always a welcome addition to our family..! Whatever questions you have on you mind, this is the place to get the answers.
    JCO
    Irish eyes are always smiling but
    • "In the eyes of the world, you are only as good as your last success"
    so never forget
    • "MAN IS ONLY LIMITED BY HIS IMAGINATION"

Members

Thanks everyone. I appreciate your welcomes, and your input. It looks like what I thought would be a quick and easy solution could cause many more problems than anticipated. I guess I'll stick with building a pond in the backyard... like you pointed out, it's easier to control the environment to ensure it is healthy.

I'm SO glad I asked so I didn't waste a ton of time going down a dead-end path!

Quote Originally Posted by chesapeakebaybe
    Actually, I was thinking I could use the lake (w/fish in it) in lieu of a pond or tank with fish... and use the lake water to feed the plants (instead of feeding them water from a pond or tank). My thought was, I've got half the system already "built" sitting at the end of my backyard.
    That would take A LOT of fish!