Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Members

How much for a DIY system?

Greetings all!

This is my first post. I only discovered aquaponics last week so please forgive the - probably - naive question.

Let's say that I wanted to build a system that I could use here in upstate NY, year round. How much would it cost? I'm sure the answer is probably, "it depends on what features you want, how much you'll do yourself, how much stuff you have laying that you can use, etc...." But, not counting the greenhouse and the heating during the winter, what's a range for the fish, tanks, plumbing, any controllers/timers, buckets, etc...? It must, even if one is very frugal, be in the $500 range for a very basic system, no?

I'm trying to read as much as I can so, perhaps, I'll chime back in with an, "oh NOW I understand ...

thanks much,
    JR

Members

Re: How much for a DIY system?

no idea on the cost but welcome to the forum. there are those that live in your area possibly that can answer your question

Members

Quote Originally Posted by rfeiller
    no idea on the cost but welcome to the forum. there are those that live in your area possibly that can answer your question
    Thanks, rfeiller! Looking forward to building one (though I'm thinking it's going to take quite a while to understand how best to do it).

Members

a lot of examples, diagrams, photos etc on this site from very small systems to very large systems. just start reading

Members

Quote Originally Posted by rfeiller
    a lot of examples, diagrams, photos etc on this site from very small systems to very large systems. just start reading
    I'm reading, I'm reading!!

I have seen people build it for no out of pocket money, just a lot of blood and sweat! It depends what you have on hand or you can get for free or salvage. How big of a system, etc. You can definitely build a very nice system for 500 bucks.

Hi JR, welcome to the forum...

You should figure around $ 20,000 on your 1st system...
    Just kidding.... :P ....now, whatever you do spend, won't seem so bad.
    Don't forget craigslist....keep an eye on the farm/garden and the materials section for stuff. Good luck !
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Welcome to the show....pull up an easy chair, relax and stay awhile. New voices are always a welcome addition to our family..! Whatever questions you have on you mind, this is the place to get the answers so pick a topic of your interest and start your own thread and Enjoy.
    JCO
    Irish eyes are always smiling but
    • "In the eyes of the world, you are only as good as your last success"
    so never forget
    • "MAN IS ONLY LIMITED BY HIS IMAGINATION"

I built my first 2' x 4' indoor system for around $100. This included the light fixture which was just 5 shoplights screwed into some wood on chains hanging from the ceiling. It was crude, but it got the job done. I had a few things on hand that saved on the cost, but I mostly purchased everything new... And I grew more peppers than I could use! LOL (OH, and a Luffa vine that took over the WHOLE room, it was a MONSTER).

My fish tank was a 55 gallon and I would throw in my catch of the day in there. Usually 12-15" Blue Tilapia or other pan/sunfish. I like to leave them in the AP system for however long before I eat them, but at least a few days for taste. If it was empty I would use the seaweed extract or my "home brew" to power the system!

Members

I could handle $500 for the first version (assuming I'd be able to reuse parts for the sure-to-come version 2.0

I live in upstate NY and don't want to spend a lot of money heating the greenhouse so I've been looking at other ways to reduce this cost. The most intriguing I've come across is the "soap bubble" greenhouse. Amazing!