Quote Originally Posted by badflash
The truly silly thing is that there is no need to grow monosex fish. If you grow them in simple mesh covered cages made of PVC pipe the keeps the fish from finding a flat bottom, they can't spawn. This allows the females to put their energy into growth rather than raising fry. Females grown in cage culture will get as large as the males and you'll have no recruits.
You've mentioned that before, and I was thinking of that as I did the research ..... it seems to me that it would be so much more inexpensive and more efficient to just line the bottom 2" or so of the tank with PVC or stainless steel screen, underneath that screen could be crays or other bottom feeders that would feed on the eggs and left-over food that drops to the bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by badflash
Cross species hybridization is a lot of trouble as you need to keep two separate strains of pure fish, but the rate of growth makes up for it if you are doing this on a large scale.
I wouldn't think it would be a huge problem for large commercial operations to keep breeding pairs of pure strains, rather than having to buy fry/fingerlings for each growing cycle. To me, that would just be one of those necessary expenses