Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Foam size

Members

Foam size

Can some one explain the use of 2"foam rafts rather than 1"? I didnt have the cash for 2"anf I only bought enough for half of my gb's so if there is a def reason to get 2"i will get that for my next ones.. Using 2"net pots
    always allow room to grow, you can always cut it shorter, but cant cut it longer

Members

Re: Foam size

1" should work, paint after drilling - and when drilling, only drill part way through from one side and flip it over to finish, that way your drill bit won't get clogged as often

Any size foam will work. The thicker foam will give more support for larger plants. In fact, 2" foam of the same dimensions will support twice the weight in the water as a 1" foam piece. The only other reason I can think of is durability. The 2" in my experience is a lot tougher and not as easy to accidentally snap or break versus the 1" foam. Just be careful with it and don't grow anything too fancy!

Quote Originally Posted by keith_r
    1" should work, paint after drilling - and when drilling, only drill part way through from one side and flip it over to finish, that way your drill bit won't get clogged as often
    Paint the foam?? I don't think I would recommend that nor is it necessary!

Members

good to know.. thanks for the replies. I was expecting to get some answer about a magical depth for the net pots in the water or o2 levels in the tops of the roots. but the durability makes sense.. ill scrape up my change and get some 2" next time. (maybe) lol
    always allow room to grow, you can always cut it shorter, but cant cut it longer

Members

Quote Originally Posted by urbanfarmer
    Any size foam will work. The thicker foam will give more support for larger plants. In fact, 2" foam of the same dimensions will support twice the weight in the water as a 1" foam piece. The only other reason I can think of is durability. The 2" in my experience is a lot tougher and not as easy to accidentally snap or break versus the 1" foam. Just be careful with it and don't grow anything too fancy!

unless you paint it, it will break down, fast
    "friendly's" in hi recommends "external latex semi-gloss", but there are probably some other options for this

Members

The 2" allows you to seat the 2" net pot without the bottom of the pot extending below the bottom of the styrofoam and prevents the root crown from being submersed. This is the mistake I was making. Some greens don't mind but a lot of plants do. Use 1" just make the hole smaller so pot sticks up.

[quote=keith_r]
    Quote Originally Posted by urbanfarmer

Quote Originally Posted by "keith_r":6v8175ac
    "friendly's" in hi recommends "external latex semi-gloss", but there are probably some other options for this[/quote:6v8175ac]
    Oh, I did not know that. You have to be very careful with paint because it can put toxins in the water. Some paints can melt the foam as well.

"friendly's" in hi recommends "external latex semi-gloss", but there are probably some other options for this
    I know someone who painted 'all of ' the raft with the latex. Even though it was dry, it made the water foam up.....I think they mentioned 'surfactants' in the paint (?) They had to change out all the water twice, to get rid of it
    I've been painting the top of the rafts with white rubber mobile home coating. I don't know if it's safer then paint....I was given half of a 5 gal bucket for free.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Members

so paint the top side? this system is outdoors too..

Members

what type of time frame, before it breaks down. i've never heard this before and i've never seen styrofoam break down in water, it's used in boat docks, building foundations. amazing.