Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Need help selecting the right gph pump for my system

I'm certified in water based fire protection system layout, also in inspection and testing of water based systems.

Quote Originally Posted by keith_r
    Quote Originally Posted by cedarswamp
    Quote Originally Posted by davidstcldfl
    Hydraulically speaking the friction loss difference between 1-90 or 2-45 is non-existant.
    Hi Cedarswamp, there are sevearl charts online showing pressure loss in pipes and fittings. Here is a link to one of them.....
    http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/pvc-p ... d_801.html

Sorry I was speaking in terms of practical backyard application. The added turbulance created by the extra joints will negate any savings you realize from using the 45's. I do hydraulic calculations for my job.
    what kind of hydraulic calc's? just curious,, i spent some time designing fire protection systems..

I'm certified in water based fire protection system layout, also in inspection and testing of water based systems.
    Wow,that's a cool job I went through schooling in the union to become a pipefitter, then spent a few more years in school, cross-training into hvac.
    In hvac, it's very critical concerning flow, so I guess I'm over focused on it

Your right, in backyard systems, it's not that critical. Just going up 1 size in pipe would be more then enough, to help to keep the flow rate up.

You wrote...The added turbulence created by the extra joints will negate any savings you realize from using the 45's.
    I'm not saying your wrong..I very well could be wrong, I 'm trying to learn. I look at the flow chart, which shows flow restriction (turbulence)... and see 2 - 45's normally have 'less then' 1/2 of what a hard/pressure 90 does. Perhaps being 'near' each other 'creates more' (an exponential curve) flow restriction/ turbulence...then they would 'separate', elsewhere in the same given system ?

Your study of flow is more in depth, then mine....Do you have any info/links that you could please send to me, in regards to this ?
    Thanks Cedarswamp.

Sam, I'm so sorry for going off on a rabbit trail with your posting... .
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Didn't have too much luck adjusting the flow of the growbeds, have you guys had any luck with the intex pumps and what model?
    I was looking at the intex 637r (1000gph) for $40.00 online but not sure how efficient it can work on a aquaponics setup.