PDA

View Full Version : Is my water to warm for plants..?

Chris
06-07-2011, 09:34 PM
I live on a sub tropical island, it’s June and not yet summer. My water temperature is already 30 Deg C!

Will the plants suffer with such warm water..?

Should I consider a cooling device to bring the water temperature down..?

I’m currently cycling my system and don’t yet have fish or plants.

Chris

rfeiller
06-07-2011, 10:03 PM
welcome Chris to the forum

Chris
06-07-2011, 11:20 PM
Thank you and everyone for the warm welcome...

drdreww
06-08-2011, 01:01 AM
Hey chris, what is the gallon capacity of your system? Do you have of it buried / shaded / insulated ? What are your average temps day and night?

Chris
06-08-2011, 02:19 AM
Hey chris, what is the gallon capacity of your system? Do you have of it buried / shaded / insulated ? What are your average temps day and night?

The system holds about a 100 litres. The water temperature seems to be quite stable day and night.

I have so photo's at http://www.deedsnotwords.co.uk

rfeiller
06-08-2011, 09:08 AM
It's human nature to always try to grow or have what is not natural, hence the high utility bills. In soil that is bombarded by desert heat and sun, tomatoes, chiles, asparagus squashes loved the 100f plus temperatures. I wasn'doing aauaponics at the time but the temps didn't hurt the plants one bit. Couldn'gdow lettuce, kale, broccoli, or cauliflower, but ironically Brussels sprouts did great. I'd would 't hessitate to try the ones mentioned. Humidity may be more if an issue.

rfeiller
06-08-2011, 09:09 AM
Urbanfarmer has a thread a out summer plants in Florida that might help.

Chris
06-08-2011, 09:41 AM
It's human nature to always try to grow or have what is not natural, hence the high utility bills. In soil that is bombarded by desert heat and sun, tomatoes, chiles, asparagus squashes loved the 100f plus temperatures. I wasn'doing aauaponics at the time but the temps didn't hurt the plants one bit. Couldn'gdow lettuce, kale, broccoli, or cauliflower, but ironically Brussels sprouts did great. I'd would 't hessitate to try the ones mentioned. Humidity may be more if an issue.

Thanks for that. I guess it's quite obvious when you think of plants growing in hotter climates. I love sprouts! I'll give them a go if I can find seeds. They have scary controls on seed imports in Taiwan (They may execute me for illegal sprout seed smuggling if I try to sneak seeds in).

Humidity is a nightmare here! My whole life is going mouldy! I'm not sure i understand the implications for aquaponics, please could you expand..?

Chris
06-08-2011, 09:44 AM
Urbanfarmer has a thread a out summer plants in Florida that might help.

Thank you. I will check this thread out...

urbanfarmer
06-09-2011, 12:10 AM
June, Central FL, What do you plant? (http://www.diyaquaponics.com/forum/showthread.php?975-June-Central-FL-What-do-you-plant)

JCO
06-10-2011, 08:10 PM
Welcome to the show....pull up an easy chair, relax and stay awhile. New voices are always a welcome addition to our family..! Whatever questions you have on you mind, this is the place to get the answers so pick a topic of your interest and start your own thread and Enjoy. Please go to your profile and put in the city and state where you live, there may be members close by. :mrgreen: