PDA

View Full Version : Syphons?

kneedeepinwater
06-06-2011, 06:33 AM
Please forgive me if this a dumb question but what is the purpose of using a syphon in your aquaponic set up? Won't the water just drain just like in any hydroponic ebb n flow setup? Of course as long as the drain is big enough.

stucco
06-06-2011, 07:24 AM
Really it’s just personal preference… some use timers 15 min on and 45 min off and argue that the plant growth is better but, timers malfunction and the on and off of the pump supposedly wears the pump out faster… You also need additional aeration in the fish tank. I use auto siphons for the simplicity. The pump runs constantly and is continuously dumping water for aeration.

“The only stupid question is the one left unasked”- fortune cookie

kneedeepinwater
06-06-2011, 07:58 AM
Thanks, so it's all about personal preference and it would be fine for me to setup my grow beds like a regular ebbnflow?

stucco
06-06-2011, 08:09 AM
I’m not sure how the hydro ebb and flow works but, the most successful aquaponics systems set up that way flood for 15 minutes and drain for 45 minutes using a stand pipe with a small hole drilled in the bottom of it.

kneedeepinwater
06-06-2011, 10:14 AM
In hydroponics there are two holes, one where water comes in and the other drains. The hole that the water comes in is short and close to the tray. The drain is about 3-4" tall and has a cap piece with several slots where the water drains. You can run it constantly or you can put it on a timer and water drains out the drain and the feed hole when it cuts off.

How much water do you guys have in your 12" + deep grow beds? Is it about 6" of water?

Thanks

keith_r
06-06-2011, 10:31 AM
my beds flood to about an inch under the surface, right now using the barrelponics method (fill/flush tank above gb's) - constant pump

stucco
06-06-2011, 10:33 AM
i fill 1 inch below the top of the rocks

cedarswamp
06-06-2011, 11:48 AM
I too transitioned into aquaponics from hydroponics, and as such I sorta kept some of the same depths that worked for me in hydro. Currently I'm running continuous flow at a depth of 4" below the gravel, sorta DWC with rocks :lol: no siphon, but I do draw the water off the bottom.

Although I do raise the water level to 1" below surface while direct sowing seeds, and then lower it a few days after germination. Bit unorthodox but it's working rather well for me.

urbanfarmer
06-06-2011, 11:58 AM
I go for about 2-3 inches below the top. I'm using 3/4" gravel though.

kneedeepinwater
06-07-2011, 02:12 PM
Thanks! It seems as usual there is more than one way to skin a cat :-)

cedarswamp
06-07-2011, 02:45 PM
Whichever way you go dont glue your standpipe into the bulkhead, that way if the way you decide to try doesn't work to your expectations it's a simple matter to change to another water level by mearly changing the standpipe. That's how I raise my water for seed germination, just change to a taller standpipe.

rfeiller
06-07-2011, 10:10 PM
the only thing i glue in a bell siphon is the bell cap to the bell housing.