PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Afghanistan

Clint_Thomas
05-25-2011, 06:46 AM
I am currently working in Afghanistan, I have set up an IBC/tote system with a lot of recycled parts and local river bed gravel. This is my first attempt at aquaponics. I am still trying to figure out how to aquire some fish. No luck yet. I hope to get a little experience with this before I go home for good and set up in Missouri.

Thanks
Clint

urbanfarmer
05-25-2011, 08:33 AM
Greetings Earthling, and welcome! :mrgreen:

Clint_Thomas
05-25-2011, 09:07 AM
http://i596.photobucket.com/albums/tt50 ... G_0656.jpg (http://i596.photobucket.com/albums/tt50/Clint_Thomas/IMG_0656.jpg)
http://i596.photobucket.com/albums/tt50 ... G_0657.jpg (http://i596.photobucket.com/albums/tt50/Clint_Thomas/IMG_0657.jpg)

Jose helped to set up the bell siphon and get the water flow adjusted from our overly large pump. Transplanted a dying squash plant from our hesco garden. It might recover. We have no fish but are trying to see if the locals can bring us something that will work. We are in Nangarhar province in north eastern Afghanistan.

keith_r
05-25-2011, 10:07 AM
you can start your system cycling by adding humonia.. have a beer, wait.. have another.. when nature calls...
you won't get any ammonia readings for several days, and you'll need to add more pee every couple days unless you age the pee first (so that it is converted to ammonia) and then patience as you wait for the rest of the nitrification cycle to do it's job
do you have a test kit? you want to test for ammonia, nitrates, nitrites and ph.. other tests are out there (like DO, salinity etc, but this will be enough to run your system safely.. i use an api master test kit

Clint_Thomas
05-25-2011, 12:21 PM
No test kit, yet. I have ordered one. It was a spur of the moment decision to throw this together. Fish will be a while, I have some local nationals looking. I have been planting in hescoes, which we use to protect the base from small arms and indirect fire. I am a surveillance system operator/contractor, not active duty military, I just keep a close eye on our boys when they venture out. Any how, my garden is suffering due to lack of water/drought condition's here. So I figured setting up a aquapoinics system would be easier to maintain water wise, as I should only have to top off occasionally. I have already started the humonia and am seeing some impressive results already. I have garlic and radishes coming up. I hope the fish and test kit will arrive before too long. Will post more pics as the system develops.

keith_r
05-25-2011, 01:22 PM
good to hear, and good luck! keep yer head down!

rfeiller
05-25-2011, 01:35 PM
Welcome to the forum! I don't know what you have there to use; turtles, crayfish, freshwater shrimp, earthworms, minnows? Then add the fish as you can, but your system will be up and running. if you are on medications urine is not the way to go.

JCO
05-25-2011, 03:41 PM
Welcome to the show....pull up an easy chair, relax and stay awhile. New voices are always a welcome addition to our family..! Whatever questions you have on you mind, this is the place to get the answers so pick a topic of your interest and start your own thread and Enjoy. Please go to your profile and put in the city and state where you live, there may be members close by. :mrgreen:

cedarswamp
05-25-2011, 04:06 PM
Welcome to the forum.

eskowronski
05-25-2011, 10:06 PM
Be safe, and welcome home soon!

Clint_Thomas
05-26-2011, 03:29 AM
No medications, so ok there. Fish are on the way, not sure what I am getting, I dont speak pashto very well. Hope it is just gold fish. Should have the API test kit in about a week.

Thanks

samtheman
05-26-2011, 04:57 AM
Welcome to the hobby of the future! 8-)

Clint_Thomas
07-08-2011, 12:48 AM
Just returned from the states and some well deserved rest to find a chia jungle where my grow bed used to be. Planted chia, was the only seeds I had. I have thinned them out and planted a salad variety along with some good cooking herbs. Still no fish, just doing the humonia thing.