PDA

View Full Version : Liners, coatings, paints and sealers.

stucco
05-16-2011, 05:15 PM
Well the paraffin wax sealer works and at a ¼ of the cost compared to epoxy paint. The labor on the other hand is 3 times more difficult than the epoxy paint (IMHO). It requires a good torch, a pot, a chip brush and lots of time. On a large project I could see you going through a copula those torches. The epoxy only takes a mixing bucket, a non-foam 6” roller, a chip brush and a little bit of time. All in all I guess it just depends on the value of your time or the availability of the product- I can see where both have their merits.

urbanfarmer
05-16-2011, 10:54 PM
So, basically just paint the wax on and call it a day?

Can a plastic welder or heat gun work in place of the torch?

How much did you pay for the wax? I can get 11 pounds for $35 plus tax, is that good? What kind of coverage area did you get?

Here's a question for you, hopefully not a silly one, but can you use Polyurethane to seal cement for this purpose?

stucco
05-17-2011, 05:10 PM
I thought that just heating the wax up in the pot and pouring it on would work, but it did not. In the bottom photo you can see one side is clear and the other is white. The white side is what you get when it is poured from the pot. The other is when the torch heats the concrete up enough to draw the wax in… not sure if the heat gun would be hot enough. It took some doing with the torch.
I got 25 sqft from 1/8 of the 11 pound block which cost 25$ from Michaels.
Not sure about the urethane?

davidstcldfl
05-18-2011, 05:53 PM
A plastic welder gets pretty hot, but it's heat is concentrated. If you have a heat gun that is a commercial unit for industrial/construction...they get pretty hot too, with a wider area being heated.

urbanfarmer
05-18-2011, 10:44 PM
Yea, I don't have a heat gun, but I wouldn't mind getting a cheapo one at HF... http://www.harborfreight.com/1500-watt- ... 96289.html (http://www.harborfreight.com/1500-watt-dual-temperature-heat-gun-572-1112-96289.html) :-)

I need to try Polyurethane too.