PDA

View Full Version : Hydrogen Peroxide Disease Prevention/Remediation

urbanfarmer
05-15-2011, 07:35 PM
3% Hydrogen Peroxide is 33,950 mg/L or 33,950 PPM Hydrogen Peroxide.

* * * Use of Hydrogen Peroxide in Finfish Aquaculture * * * (http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/fa157)

-also-

The aquatic toxicity literature reports the 24 hour LC50 (Lethal Concentration when 50% of the fish die) of active pure hydrogen peroxide is 100 ppm. The 96 hour (4 day) LC50 is reported to be 22 ppm, the 2 hour LC 50 is reported to be typically 500 ppm.
-also-

MSDS ECOLOGICAL INFORMATION (http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=4&ved=0CDEQFjAD&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.h2o2.com%2Fpdf%2F%3Floc%3Dpdf %26file%3DArkema_MSDS_35.pdf&rct=j&q=hydrogen%20peroxide%20fish%20toxicity&ei=IIXQTdTHM5CctweY6YX0DQ&usg=AFQjCNGVG1U545wTF4C3Xao9Fo5frFtS7w&cad=rja)

Chemical Fate and Pathway
No data are available.

Ecotoxicology

Data for HYDROGEN PEROXIDE 35% (ALLGRADES)

Aquatic toxicity data:
Slightly toxic. Fish 96 h LC50 between 10 - 37 mg/l

Aquatic invertebrates:
Moderately toxic. Daphnia magna (Water flea) EC50 = 7.7 mg/l
Moderately toxic. Daphnia pulex (Water flea) EC50 = 2.4 mg/l

Algae:
Highly toxic. EC50 = 0.85 mg/l

Microorganisms:
Slightly toxic. Bacteria EC50 = 30 mg/l

keith_r
05-16-2011, 05:57 AM
i just got a free 50 gallon tank that was "home repaired" - it holds water so will probably become my hospital tank in case i have to treat any fish issues..
adding hydrogen peroxide to a system (i would think) would probably wipe out nitrification process

urbanfarmer
05-16-2011, 11:05 PM
i just got a free 50 gallon tank that was "home repaired" - it holds water so will probably become my hospital tank in case i have to treat any fish issues..
adding hydrogen peroxide to a system (i would think) would probably wipe out nitrification process
It depends at what concentration and many other factors.

For instance, if you set up the hospital tank and biofilter as separate areas, and of course depending on the concentration and other organic material present, you can just aerate the tank in the sun for a few hours then allow the water to run. Typically, the exposure is only for a few minutes to an hour, which means you can either do a water change or let the sun/aeration degrade the hydrogen peroxide to water.

I have experimented some using 3% hydrogen peroxide and found it to degrade quickly in the test tank I have, but the test tank seems to have a bloom of some kind of microorganism and the hydrogen peroxide definitely reacts with it at higher concentrations (I tried 1000 mg/L, it was cool to watch).

TCLynx
05-27-2011, 05:34 AM
I know people regularly use hydrogen peroxide in hydroponics but they are trying for a sterile environment.

I think it has very limited use for aquaponics since we definitely don't want to sterilize our environment.

I've also heard of people using it to provide some dissolved oxygen in emergency situations but again, to use enough for this you may be killing off microbes in that tank that you are using it in.

urbanfarmer
05-27-2011, 06:22 AM
Correct, we do not want to sterilize our aquaponics systems! The use of hydrogen peroxide in aquaponics would be identical to the use of it in traditional hydroponics in that we would try to control the growth and reproduction of undesirable microorganisms. In one case this could be Algae in another case it could be Columnaris (Flavobacterium columnare). The HOW of it depends on many factors, but mainly the effective dosage required. I posted the ecotoxicology information as a reference point to understand the implications and applications of hydrogen peroxide in AP systems. Given the wide range of uses for hydrogen peroxide and the fact is has been approved for use in commercial aquaculture, there are really an unlimited number of uses for it in AP systems, whether it is dosed in the main system components or in accessory components (nursing tank, off taste removal tank), etc. I believe we are only limited by our imagination, creativity, and our confidence in science.

Before the beginning of great brilliance, there must be chaos. Before a brilliant person begins something great, they must look foolish to the crowd.

kneedeepinwater
06-05-2011, 07:06 PM
I know people regularly use hydrogen peroxide in hydroponics but they are trying for a sterile environment.

I think it has very limited use for aquaponics since we definitely don't want to sterilize our environment.

I've also heard of people using it to provide some dissolved oxygen in emergency situations but again, to use enough for this you may be killing off microbes in that tank that you are using it in.

+1 hydrogen peroxide will kill all bacteria good and bad

urbanfarmer
06-05-2011, 08:22 PM

+1 hydrogen peroxide will kill all bacteria good and bad

It is a germicidal substance, and that is not in question. However, this fact alone does not preclude its useability in aquaponics. Stating so is ignorant and illogical. Aquaculture, like aquaponics, is dependent on bacteria for the nitrogen cycle, yet it has recommended use in aquaculture that has been scientifically researched. Anecdotal observations are just that, anecdotal. Please keep the folklore to a minimum folks.

rfeiller
06-05-2011, 10:37 PM
i still have a little gizmo (techi term) that was to be used with H2O2 in case of power failure. never tried it in the 25 yrs it's been in one of my gadget drawers. uncovered it yesterday while looking for something else. didn't know how safe it was to use, so never tried it.

cedarswamp
06-05-2011, 10:58 PM
Keep in mind if you're selling your fish 3% H2O2 is not approved by the FDA for use in Aquaculture.

"In 2007, 35% PEROX-AIDŽ (Eka Chemicals, Marietta, Georgia) was approved by the FDA for control of mortality in (1) freshwater-reared finfish eggs due to saprolegniasis (a common water mold), (2) freshwater-reared salmonids due to bacterial gill disease (Flavobacterium branchiophilum), and (3) freshwater-reared coolwater finfish and channel catfish due to external columnaris (Flavobacterium columnare) disease. No other forms of hydrogen peroxide, including those sold for human use, are approved for use with fish."

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/fa157

urbanfarmer
06-06-2011, 12:05 AM
Yep, but you can do it at home :-)