PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Incline Village, NV

eskowronski
05-14-2011, 10:32 AM
All,

Since I am a biologist and long time aquarist, I wanted to give this a try as a fun project with the kids.

Living near Lake Tahoe, we have a SHORT grow period (Jun to Nov at best...expecting 3-6" snow tonight :o ). Looking for some suggestions...

- What kind of fish, and where to source them locally (Tilapia NOT ALLOWED in NV)
- Feed
- Comments on proposed setup, which follows

• 100 G poly water tank (fish)

• Three 3’ X 2’ X 8” grow tanks

• Grow volume = 3 X 3 X 2 X (6/12) = 9 ft3, or 9 X 7.5 = 67.5 gallons. With 6” water level with hydroton (half volume displacement), this is about 30-35 GPH at 3’ header

• Pump requirements = 4 times grow bed volume/hr + 20% recirculation @ 3’ header, 4 X 35 X 120% = 168 GPH

• Airpump and stone with 7.5GPH @ 100 gallon tank = 750 GHP

Planning on having a ball valve to divert extra pump capacity back into the fish tank for circulation, a three-way manifold for splitting wanter flow into the three tanks, gravity feed back to fish tank, and home-made bell syphons to flood-and-drain.

Excited to get started...please let me know what you think.

E

urbanfarmer
05-14-2011, 11:14 AM
Greetings Earthling, and welcome! :mrgreen:

JCO
05-14-2011, 07:18 PM
Welcome to the show....pull up an easy chair, relax and stay awhile. New voices are always a welcome addition to our family..! Whatever questions you have on you mind, this is the place to get the answers so pick a topic of your interest and start your own thread and Enjoy. Please go to your profile and put in the city and state where you live, there may be members close by. :mrgreen:

rfeiller
05-14-2011, 09:42 PM
welcome to the forum,

a lot of snow this winter, i've been trying to get some of my construction equipment from San Jose to Reno for the last 3mos. my free weekends it's been snowing over 80 and it's been one storm after another. i guess we're in for it for the next few days in Truckee.

my understanding is you can have native fish, trout, bass, perch without a problem. CA we can't do that. i personally use koi and goldfish.

eskowronski
05-15-2011, 11:44 AM
rfeiller,

Thanks for the post...maybe we can meet some time to talk aquaponics. Getting a few inches on snow today but I think we will be int he clear in a week or so.

Do you have a system in Reno, or just SJ? I am VERY interested in sourcing fish....will be calling the Wildlife Dept. tomorrow and see if I can get some stock form the state fisheries.

E

rfeiller
05-15-2011, 07:15 PM
Just San Jose at present. I have 77 acres in Reno that we are transitioning too. I have spoken to the state biologist about my plans. We can talk later.

keith_r
05-16-2011, 06:00 AM
a quick google search turned up a couple hatcheries near lake tahoe, you can also look for pond stocking..
we're a balmy 43 today in northeast ohio.. i feel ya on the short growing season..

Big Al
05-16-2011, 06:11 AM
yes keith your right this weather stinks only 3.5 " of rain here since friday. anyway welcome to the forum eskowronski. Big Al

davidstcldfl
05-17-2011, 09:06 AM
Hi eskowronski, Welcome... :D

eskowronski
05-17-2011, 09:14 AM
yes keith your right this weather stinks only 3.5 " of rain here since friday. anyway welcome to the forum eskowronski. Big Al
It has been snowing here for the last two days, Ladies! I will the sucky weather award... :shock:

keith_r
05-17-2011, 10:24 AM
ok, you win for sucky weather, but we're a close second! wettest april and may since they've kept records.. only a couple days in the 60's, and i think 1 in the 70's so far!
rain expected at least till friday

rfeiller
05-18-2011, 07:28 AM
their is a trout hatchery on the way to pyrimid lake.

jcoop
05-18-2011, 12:31 PM
Been raining off and on sense Sunday here on the Western Slope of the Sierras, today looks better though. Hoping for some warmer weather for sure.

eskowronski
05-18-2011, 08:36 PM
Been raining off and on sense Sunday here on the Western Slope of the Sierras, today looks better though. Hoping for some warmer weather for sure.

Hey J...just seeing now you are my neighbor just don the hill. I am heading down to Grass Valley to see the kids. My oldest turns 15 tomorrow!

Do you mind if I ask about your setup? What kind of fish do you use? I have access to trout from local fisheries, but would really rather have catfish or golden perch.

Lets chat some time!

SLJ
05-23-2011, 04:58 PM
Hi, I'm down the hill from you in Carson City. I'm just getting started. So far I have a 150 gal stock tank for my fish tank, and will be picking up 6 blue barrels this week for grow beds.

I'm also interested in sourcing fish and haven't been able to locate anything nearby, so if you find something local please let me know! The state hatchery I called said they don't sell to the public. I found this place in Chico, CA http://www.proaqua.com/?cf=pricelist, but they have a min $300 order, but maybe some of us could split an order? But I'd rather find somewhere closer! I also have a neighbor who's planning to start a small system.

Sonia

eskowronski
05-23-2011, 07:16 PM
Sonia,

Yeah, getting fish is going to be a problem. I am looking around and will let you know how it goes. $300 is a lot of fish!

Love to see your system come online. I will be posting pics in a new thread as I get going.

E