PDA

View Full Version : Pump Recommendations

mistermoose
05-11-2011, 10:06 AM
So I am in the process of gathering materials for my new system and was wondering what pumps others here in the US are using and recommend for a larger system. Are there any specific brands that are more reliable and energy efficient? Are there ones I should steer away from? My Fish Tank will be around 700 Gallons so I am needing something with a higher volume.

I appreciate the advice.

keith_r
05-11-2011, 11:06 AM
you want a pump that will pump at least 1400 gal/hr @ whatever "head" you have (height of the surface of the tank you are pumping to the highest point you are pumping), if you go a bit bigger, you can divert flow back into the tank to increase aeration..i've seen systems with anywhere from 1 - 3 times an hour turnover of the volume of the ft

rfeiller
05-11-2011, 11:14 AM
Check on what type of shaft the impeller uses. Make sure it is steel. I have used pondmaster pumps for years. Two monthes ago i purchased a pondmaster 1200gph pump the shaft broke in less then two months. They now use a plastic shaft.

urbanfarmer
05-11-2011, 12:29 PM
I have used a Sunterra 200850 Pond Pump, 850 GPH with no problems. Honestly, I was worried it would be a really cheap piece of junk, but it has a 2 year warranty; so, I took the risk. I got it for $53.15 with free 2-day shipping. That's hard to beat.

I know a lot of folks recommend you have a pump that's 200% or 300% of the volume of your system per hour, but I just go by the plants/fish and levels in the water. I'm using that for about 3000 gallons. It's not just about the gallons though. Everyone's system is VERY different, I have a low stocking density, and I take advantage of every way possible to create nitrification and oxygenation. I have no data to back this up; so, I don't recommend you try.

So, buy 2 or 3 of those for your system, I guess... :lol:

swamp creek farms
05-11-2011, 12:34 PM
ya know im not promoting biz.. but harbor freight has decent pumps for decent money.

urbanfarmer
05-11-2011, 12:38 PM
ya know im not promoting biz.. but harbor freight has decent pumps for decent money.
From what I recall, their pumps eat electricity like a fat kid in a cake shop...

If by some odd change that's not the case, always get their extended warranty, and always use the 20% off coupon for some extra savings!!!

swamp creek farms
05-11-2011, 12:41 PM
i have not noticed my bill go up any yet, i run three pumps and one aerator. 24/7

i tried to put a meter around the chord and it wouldnt read anything?!?! im sure its pulling something.

the way i see it, my electric bill gets higher when the electric company buys a new truck, gives a raise, and for now some reason they are completely renovating and expanding their building because they HAVE to use the money or lose it? ? ? wtf

urbanfarmer
05-11-2011, 12:59 PM
VERTICAL FLOAT SUMP PUMP
http://manuals.harborfreight.com/manual ... /95593.pdf (http://manuals.harborfreight.com/manuals/95000-95999/95593.pdf)

About 700/600/450 Watts for 3700/3300/3000 GPH.

1/4 HP, 115 Volt Submersible Water Pump ($54.99 without coupon or paying for warranty)
http://www.harborfreight.com/1-4-quarte ... 98342.html (http://www.harborfreight.com/1-4-quarter-hp-115-volt-submersible-water-pump-98342.html)
300 Watts for 1400 GPH. This should be half that.

Why spend the extra money for a more efficient model that ALREADY comes with a warranty (not to mention we shouldn't be buying more stuff from China, but that's for the sump...)

150 Watts extra, right?

0.150 kW x 24 Hours/Day x (30 Days) = 108 kWh per month

108 kWh x ($0.12/kWh) = $12.96 ~~ about $13 a month. Assuming a better model costs twice as much and it comes with a warranty for that price, you will make up the difference in 2-3 months (don't forget you have to pay for HF warranty). After that 2-3 months you will save $13 a month. Let's not forget the GAS it costs to get to the store versus buying a better model online.

You guys LOVE MAKING ME DO MATH :evil:

EXAMPLE ONLY of 1500 GPH draws 190 Watts with 1 year warranty (you can do better): http://www.amazon.com/Ecoplus-ECO-PUMP- ... 002JLI8FW/ (http://www.amazon.com/Ecoplus-ECO-PUMP-1500-ELITE/dp/B002JLI8FW/)

OK LOOK for around $150: EcoPlus 3170 Submersible Water Pump, 3,170 GPH, 1 year warranty, 180W <--- WHAAAAT?
http://www.aquacave.com/images/ecopluswaterpumplg1.jpg

badflash
05-11-2011, 07:33 PM
I've been very impressed with Intex pool pumps. I got a few last year for $35 each. 10 GPM at 8+ feet and only 80 watts. If you get a 600 gallon 8' intex pool, it comes with it for around $50.

mistermoose
05-11-2011, 07:50 PM
Check on what type of shaft the impeller uses. Make sure it is steel. I have used pondmaster pumps for years. Two monthes ago i purchased a pondmaster 1200gph pump the shaft broke in less then two months. They now use a plastic shaft.

That is exactly why I asked. I had a Pondmaster that snapped last night. It is less than a month old. I put just a little back pressure on it to adjust the flow in order to fix a bell siphon and 6 hours later it popped. Lesson Learned!

rfeiller
05-11-2011, 09:19 PM
mistermoose that is exactly why i mentioned pondmaster i have used many pondmaster pumps, in fact this is the first one i've purchased in 3 or so yrs and it pumped through a canister system a lot of back pressure. i should have been suspecious when the pump redesign looked like a generic china pump. Pet Club replaced it, but, i'm not sure how many times they will do that, it was $159 plus tax. :evil:

pet club didn't have to exchange it, but they did so i am grateful for that. :)

urbanfarmer
05-11-2011, 11:50 PM
I've been very impressed with Intex pool pumps. I got a few last year for $35 each. 10 GPM at 8+ feet and only 80 watts. If you get a 600 gallon 8' intex pool, it comes with it for around $50.
That's pretty amazing. I will have to check the ones we have locally! :mrgreen:

rfeiller
05-12-2011, 08:44 AM
Thanks Badflash!

stucco
05-24-2011, 05:24 PM
I had an American made pump from tractor supply fall apart and leak oil out of the housing (in driveway). I went back to the ts and gots me another. It died after a bit so I gave up on the ohio made pump. I bought a Chinese version of the same type of pump from lows and was surprised at how well it worked. It seemed to run faster and it sounded tighter. Today it leaked oil in my sump… so I DO NOT recommends the utilitec pumps. Now I’m in the market for non oil in the housing utility type pump.
Any ideas on how to safely clean up oil in a sump???

urbanfarmer
05-24-2011, 05:52 PM
Wet vacuum? I think I have an ex-gf that can get the job done too, but she will empty your wallet before the job is done... :twisted:

stucco
05-24-2011, 06:02 PM
I drained the sump and wiped it down… still a film of “non toxic dielectric oil” yeaahhh!

cedarswamp
05-24-2011, 06:50 PM
Got any Simple Green?

urbanfarmer
05-24-2011, 07:14 PM
If you let the sump dry you can try using some paper towels to absorb the remaining oil. That might not be practical for a bigger sump though...

rfeiller
05-24-2011, 07:28 PM
I know this how cheap can I make it philosophy seems to go hand in hand with DIY, but submersible pumps have been known to short out killing everything. If you can afford it use external pumps.

urbanfarmer
05-25-2011, 02:16 AM
I know this how cheap can I make it philosophy seems to go hand in hand with DIY, but submersible pumps have been known to short out killing everything. If you can afford it use external pumps.
Whoa whoa whoa, did you just call us CHEAP?!??

stucco
05-25-2011, 04:29 AM
Two days before this happened my quiet one 4000 shutoff and killed 26 lbs. of tilapia. I thought that brand was a good one, but still made in the chinas. The quiet one was a replacement for a danner mag drive that had a plastic piece break off where the impeller does its thing. Both of these pumps were less than a year old and considered top of the line in submersible pumps.
We were considering offering the lil giant external (one of the only made in America options) with our systems, but didn’t know how to weather proof them and we had concerns about plumbing them through the side of the tanks.

The simple green is helping.

davidstcldfl
05-25-2011, 04:59 AM
Wow, How did I miss all of this ?

Wet vacuum? I think I have an ex-gf that can get the job done too, but she will empty your wallet before the job is done... :twisted:
Got any pictures.... :D

Whoa whoa whoa, did you just call us CHEAP?!??
No, he said we 'sound like' a bunch of baby chicks running around the barn yard going...'cheap cheap....cheap cheap'.. :lol:

davidstcldfl
05-25-2011, 05:24 AM
Stucco.....
Wow, sorry to hear that. I also thought that the 'quite ones' were supposed to be good (?) I planned on using them in my next set up.....'hmmmm ?'
I remeber a while back, you mentioned you had a pump that ran for several years. Was it a 'little giant' or a danner...I don't remeber ?

I have a few 'fountain pumps' and a 'waterfall pump'...the water fall seems to plug less.
I do run redundant pumps...just in case.

I helped a church pipe in an external pump to their fish tank. I ran the discharge to a 'spray bar' in the tank.....I just ran the line up and over the side of the tank.

On the suction side.....I added a union just before the line went into the sump. That way they can easily pull out the strainer to clean it. The strainer also had a built in foot valve/check valve.
Since they would need to re-prime this part of the line, I add a tee (at the highest point) between the union and the motor. On the branch of the tee, I added a male adapter with a threaded plug.

rfeiller
05-25-2011, 07:21 AM
Check out the pumps at your hydroponics store the better ones use steel shafts and are mag drive no oil, no seals to leak. They are also designed for back pressure and on off service for flood and drain. These guys sell to high end growers that won't tolerate the crap most buy. Surprisingly competively priced. the ones i use are MAXI JET MJ1000 20watt, 291GPH, maximum head is 69" steel shaft and designed for on-off operation.

rfeiller
05-25-2011, 08:45 AM
one thing that hasn't been mentioned is the impeller design. sometimes a system will do better with a high pressure, high head, moderate flow rate at given head like a swimming pool pump. vs. a low pressure, high volume such as a pond pump. if you have a LOT of resistence you might look at this.
another type of long lasting pump is the inline gundfos type of pump. they are used extensively in circulating systems, such as hydronics, and in circulating process piping they will last about 10yrs. they can be high or low pressure pumps. Lifeguard aquatic systems manufacturing use to use a gundfos exterior pump with their label for their cannister filters, i don't know if any of you remember them. they were also big in swimming pool and portable skid type of filtration systems.
their was a small pump made years ago about 2" long by 1" wide that would pump a rediculous amount of water,many hundreds of gph with no head. it was test marketed, i was given one by the manufacturer to try out, but outside of plopping it in a tank for circulation it had a limited use. it screamed. it never made it in the market place. it incorporated a steel shaft.

samtheman
06-14-2011, 03:56 AM

Are you still using these type of pumps?

I have been contemplating the idea of getting one.

scotteboy
06-16-2011, 07:33 PM
So are mag drives any good?

kneedeepinwater
06-18-2011, 08:13 AM
Mag drive pumps are good in my opinion. I have used the Danner Mag-Drive supreme pumps in my saltwater tanks and never had issues. The Mag 24 is the largest one they make.

davidstcldfl
06-18-2011, 08:47 AM
AT STUCCO.....

So, which pump did you end up getting ?

Toasty
03-05-2012, 09:53 AM
Anyone buy their pump from surplus center? I'm looking at their sump pumps, I liked the one with the stainless steel body (looks stout) but was told the metal housing might not be good for my fish.
https://www.surpluscenter.com/ENLARGED/p2-1359E1.jpg

Still looking for my first pump, right now i water the old fashioned way.

https://www.surpluscenter.com/sort.asp?catname=water&keyword=WPSA

Now i'm considering this unit

https://www.surpluscenter.com/ENLARGED/p2-1284E1.jpg

keith_r
03-05-2012, 11:25 AM
how big is your ft?

Toasty
03-05-2012, 01:06 PM
woops, I'm at 200 gallons in the new tank.