PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Kentucky

gregw
05-09-2011, 06:48 AM
Hello, I'm building a new house on 2 acres and I'm interested in possibly doing some aquaponics. I'm very near the Ohio river and my well water is just 50 down. So for the cost of running a pump I have unlimited quantities of 57 degree +/- water. I would love to grow trout, but other species would be fine. Is there starting place / resource that you can direct me to, to start learning about the process, equipment, investment?

Greg

davidstcldfl
05-09-2011, 07:25 AM
Hi gregw.....welcome.... :D

Oliver has written some really great info. Try starting here.....Aquaponics 101 by Oliver.

viewforum.php?f=112 (http://diyaquaponics.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=112)

urbanfarmer
05-09-2011, 08:25 AM
Greetings Earthling, and welcome! :mrgreen:

rfeiller
05-09-2011, 08:53 AM
welcome to the forum. with that temperature water trout would be happy campers, you would have to find plants that would be ok with water that chilly, many salad veggies would love it.

gregw
05-09-2011, 09:05 AM
welcome to the forum. with that temperature water trout would be happy campers, you would have to find plants that would be ok with water that chilly, many salad veggies would love it.

I didn't think about the water temp. as far as plants were concerned, guess I could heat the water in a solar collector, but that would only work during daylight hours and maybe not at all during the winter. Part of the compromise I guess if I want trout.

gregw
05-09-2011, 09:11 AM
Maybe it's a once through system, not a recirculating system?? The soil on this property is very good, maybe I use the overflow to irrigate a more traditional in the ground garden?? This would have to be seasonal and kind of defeat the aquaponics concept.

JCO
05-09-2011, 10:08 PM
Welcome to the show....pull up an easy chair, relax and stay awhile. New voices are always a welcome addition to our family..! Whatever questions you have on you mind, this is the place to get the answers so pick a topic of your interest and start your own thread and Enjoy. Please go to your profile and put in the city and state where you live, there may be members close by.