PDA

View Full Version : Filter Setup Question

mistermoose
05-08-2011, 10:26 PM
I am in process of designing and laying out my new scaled up AP system. In my previous systems, I never used any sort of biofilter (other than beds) or solid separator. Since I am planning to have several raft tables in this system, I know I need my water to be extra clean. This being my first venture into filters I wanted to run this setup by some folks to see if I am on the right path.

My plan is to flow from the Fish Tank into a 55 Gallon Swirl Filter, then into a 55 Gallon BioFilter containing scrubbing pads and finally into 55 Gallon Moving Filter Bed containing K1 Media. From there the water will flow to the raft tables and various grow beds. All beds will drain into an underground sump which will pump back into the FT.

Just curious if I’ve got the path right?

davidstcldfl
05-09-2011, 04:56 AM
Sounds good mistermoose :)
You mentioned raft and 'various' beds....Are the other beds media ? You could run to those after the swirl. They would be reciving a lot of nutes, and acting as a filter. If you have worms in there, they love what does get by the swirl. Just a thought :D

Looking forward to some pictures of your build

kingjam
08-12-2011, 02:05 PM
Mistermoose,
The system that you have described is almost identical to my design which is up and running. I have two IBC Fish tanks that overflows when the pump that is in the sump returns water to the fish tank. The fish tank overflows by syphon into my settling barrel filter and that overflows into my moving bed biomedia filter and from there it overflows into my raft growbed. The raft growbed is at the same level with a sump barrel that is partially sunk into the ground. The water in the growbed moves via bridge syphons into the sump and replenishes the water that is pumped into the Fish Tanks.

I only just completed my barrel filters and put in the bio filter barrel the K1 immitation media. Although the flow rates of the whole system is now working well, I still need to refine the filtering system. My K1 doesn't circulate as I've seen on some videos. I think it needs to age an develop biofilm to become heavier, or I may need better air pump/diffusers.
Kingjam

rfeiller
08-14-2011, 08:14 AM
welcome kingjam, good looking system