PDA

View Full Version : Quick-Set Pool For A FT

mistermoose
05-05-2011, 11:40 PM
Hello all,

I am in the process of putting together a design for my backyard system and was wondering if anyone has ever used a PVC/ABS Quick-Set Pool for a fish tank. I have access to a small 6 foot pool (600 Gallons) that has never been setup and would save me a bit of money to get started. Eventually, I would like to replace it with a couple IBC Totes or something fiberglass.

I am planning on placing Tilapia in the system and am curious if you guys think the pop up pool will hold up. I had seen I fishery in Florida using one as holding pin but before I set off down that path, I thought I see what you guys think.

Thanks for the input.

keith_r
05-06-2011, 05:25 AM
i've been thinking of doing the same thing, and have seen people set systems up using them, but don't know long term results..
i'm checking out a landscaping yard this weekend, railroad ties for $1 (they're usually $10 to$15 around here), i'll know more saturday

urbanfarmer
05-06-2011, 08:49 AM
The liner is definitely risky business, but if it's only for a season, it should hold up. We have a Tilapia farm here in Orlando, and they guy has his whole operation made from small kiddie pools and one larger above ground pool.

Pictures: http://tilapiafarmingathome.com/mytilapiafarm.aspx

This post edited by JCO: DIY Aquaponics does not endorse the above linked site for a source of Tilapia. The link is for informational purposes only.

EDIT: YA, I forgot to mention that. I actually don't recommend buying Tilapia from this guy given the not so good history behind his breed stock... I won't say any more...

JCO
05-06-2011, 06:13 PM
If you are just getting started, anything that will hold water will usually suffice. If nothing else, get out the ole shovel and sink that sucker in the ground at least 3/4th the way up...that will support the sides and keep the fish cooler. :mrgreen:

mistermoose
05-07-2011, 01:28 AM
EDIT: YA, I forgot to mention that. I actually don't recommend buying Tilapia from this guy given the not so good history behind his breed stock... I won't say any more...

Really glad you mentioned that. I was considering getting my stock from him. His site is where I actually got the idea to use to pool in the first place. FYI...I dropped him an email today and he said his last a couple years until the air ring developed a leak, more than likely from a fin prick.

After giving it a bit more thought, I think I am going to end up building a sunken tank. I am thinking that sinking it about 3 feet deep in the ground will help me maintain water temp in the winter when we have these odd cold snaps like this past winter.

I do appreciate the info and as soon as get started building, I will be sure to share plenty of pics.

urbanfarmer
05-07-2011, 09:51 AM
Great! I can't wait :mrgreen:

mistermoose
05-07-2011, 12:34 PM
BTW...Since the above mentioned farm is not advised, can anyone recommend a fishery here in the south to get stock from?

badflash
05-07-2011, 01:37 PM
I've been using them for some time. Really cheap solution to fish. They should work for large growbeds as well, but I've only used them for fish and inverts. $15- $20 for a 300 gallon tank is hard to beat. The biggest issue is to protect the bottom. They last about 3 years before they start to leak significanly.

badflash
05-07-2011, 01:42 PM
I've had great luck with Miami Aquaculture. I would steer clear of the Tilapia (Oreochromis) hornorum. They are not pure stock. Demand percentages of male offspring when hybidized.

BTW...Since the above mentioned farm is not advised, can anyone recommend a fishery here in the south to get stock from?

urbanfarmer
05-07-2011, 02:18 PM
I've been using them for some time. Really cheap solution to fish. They should work for large growbeds as well, but I've only used them for fish and inverts. $15- $20 for a 300 gallon tank is hard to beat. The biggest issue is to protect the bottom. They last about 3 years before they start to leak significanly.
Can you comment on the vinyl liner leaching chemicals into the water? I know the liners coated in anti-algae/mold stuff is BAD, but I assume these cheaper products don't even have that. I haven't really been able to find anything on the subject... do you know or have you heard anything about toxins leaching from the vinyl into the water for non-treated vinyl liners??

I found companies that specialize in fish safe vinyl pool liners, but that's not proof that there is even a risk to begin with... just good marketing.

badflash
05-07-2011, 06:14 PM
The whole deal on chemicals coming out of PVC is total BS like most of the fads like the ozone hole or global warming. The idea is to find something that the 1st world (us) uses and the 3rd world doesn't. Next thing to do is to make up an issue that is nearly impossible to disprove and put it out there to tear down modern technology. You'll see this theme over & over. Each and every one is eventually proven false, but the political damage can never be undone.

I started by raising apple snails, then went on to giant prawns. Both are very sensitive to any sort of chemical contamination. They grew like there was no tomorrow. Remember these pools are designed for use in infant humans. They are the most susceptible to these sorts of estrogen simulants. Pool companies would come to en end, not to mention baby bottles, etc. Lots of accusations, but no science.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c70/badflash/snails/pool.jpg

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c70/badflash/prawn/rosenbergiis.jpg
In this last picture you'll see the writing on the bottom of the easyset pool.

Here is what the prawns looked like when I got then at 1/4"
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c70/badflash/Pic0034.jpg

The thing at the top is a titanium heater for scale.

Beef and fat in general along with refined sugars, especially high fructose corn syrup is what is doing us in.

urbanfarmer
05-07-2011, 06:57 PM
Excellent points! After failing to find any scientific support for the claims, I told myself I would dig deeper and analyze the chemical composition of vinyl and investigate the manufacturing process to see if I could uncover ANYTHING to support those claims. Your observations are good enough for me! :mrgreen:

Those giant prawn look amazing!!! You should write up a guide on how to raise them step-by-step for the rest of us :lol:

badflash
05-08-2011, 06:52 AM
They are as easy to keep as crayfish, but a lot meaner. Nearly impossible for individuals like us to breed them as the zoes need brackish water and continuous feeding with brine shrimp and special feeds. They really need ponds as the males kill each other at every opportunity. I started off with 1000 post larvals and ended up with 1 male and maybe 50 females. Red Claws are a much better bet.

grimsteph
05-10-2011, 09:20 PM

I got mine from White Brook Farm (www.tilapiasource.com (http://www.tilapiasource.com)). They've been extremely helpful with any questions, and the fish have been great.

urbanfarmer
05-10-2011, 09:34 PM

I got mine from White Brook Farm (http://www.tilapiasource.com). They've been extremely helpful with any questions, and the fish have been great.
Price is my only concern with them. I have only heard good things about them, and in this case I guess you get what you pay for.

There are some members on here that used to sell fish, but I'm not sure if they still do. So, I guess go to your standard vendors for such things...

grimsteph
05-10-2011, 10:23 PM
I found their prices to be in line with just about every other place I looked, but I do recall at the time thinking they all were kind of expensive. Now I'm going on my third generation from the original batch I bought. At this point, the cost per tilapia is in the fractions of a penny range. A big reason I bought from them is because of several positive reviews on this site and several of the big sites like byap, aquaponics hq and practical aquaponics. Now I'm considering some of their Hawaiian Golds, but I'm not sure it's a great idea to add another strain right now. I've got more than I can really handle as it is. This stuff truly is an addiction.

urbanfarmer
05-10-2011, 10:36 PM
I found their prices to be in line with just about every other place I looked, but I do recall at the time thinking they all were kind of expensive. Now I'm going on my third generation from the original batch I bought. At this point, the cost per tilapia is in the fractions of a penny range. A big reason I bought from them is because of several positive reviews on this site and several of the big sites like byap, aquaponics hq and practical aquaponics. Now I'm considering some of their Hawaiian Golds, but I'm not sure it's a great idea to add another strain right now. I've got more than I can really handle as it is. This stuff truly is an addiction.
Yep! When I get my new house I am going to build a HUGE setup, which will mostly be for research. Then, I will buy some good fish stock from those good folks.

SwimmerBill
11-11-2011, 02:28 PM
I agree that, if you're just getting started, anything that will hold water should work. That being said, if you end up using any of the many types of above ground pools (http://www.familyleisure.com/Above-Ground-Swimming-Pools), I would also agree that you could "dig in" the pool to provide it some support and help moderate the water temperatures. Of course, the "flip side" to this is, doing so allows more ready access to critters (such as raccoons, the family dog, etc.), so you'll have to keep that in mind.

foodchain
11-12-2011, 09:12 AM
I haven't had good service from Miami Aquaculture. Good stock...but lacking on the bedside manner. Maybe I am just hypersensitive.