PDA

View Full Version : Top 10 Contributors (Peak Posters)

urbanfarmer
05-05-2011, 03:22 PM
So, I just did a quick calculation and the top 10 contributors on the forum account for 65.85% of the posts, with the top 5 accounting for roughly 50% of the posts! I think we need more members on here!!!

At least JCO pays well... oh wait, I'm just a gorilla working for peanuts... :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think we need some outreach into the aquaponic/hydroponic/aquaculture community. Some online communities have 20,000 members...

About half our members have never even posted. About 2/3 have posted 1 or less posts, and over 90% have posted 10 or less posts... Accounting for current activity here, I would say we're maybe a few dozen active members at best... What can we do to spread the good word? :idea:

IDEAS?

badflash
05-05-2011, 03:27 PM
Its quality, not quantity...
Aw heck, size does matter after all....

So, I just did a quick calculation and the top 10 contributors on the forum account for 65.85% of the posts, with the top 5 accounting for roughly 50% of the posts! I think we need more members on here!!!

At least JCO pays well... oh wait, I'm just a gorilla working for peanuts... :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think we need some outreach into the aquaponic/hydroponic/aquaculture community. Some online communities have 20,000 members...

urbanfarmer
05-05-2011, 03:30 PM
You replied faster than I could edit! But, what if we could have quantity AND quality? :mrgreen: I think diversity will breed a higher quality of learning for all of us. I know I have learned the most from others either challenging concepts or simply presenting their different or more in-depth view.

stucco
05-05-2011, 06:30 PM
;) I think most people just want to look at the pictures so start a system thread and post some pictures.

rfeiller
05-05-2011, 08:59 PM
i think you are right stucco. a lot of folks look at the pictures and read the info but for one reason or another are afraid to ask a question or make a comment. the other side of the coin is that this sight has a hell of a lot of great information in it. and a little effort on a visitor or members part and they can find the info they need. it use to be folks would get together to shoot the breeze, tour each other's projects and help each other, but it is too convienent to hit the web and be an isolationist. (did i butcher that word? where is the dictionary?) :oops: :?:

new thread "rich's backyard systems build" coming up.

something that seems to work is to create sources within the club for damn near anything and everything. i see a little of that here, but nothing in my area.
DIY series of photos/videos on each aspect of aquaculture. step by step photos,not just a couple of photos, but a series of photos. how about contacting some of these guys (you probably have but humor me) on you tube and ask if they would like to have their videos and info as part of DIY's site. folks will come to realize that the answers and new info is here it doesn't hurt to put in a plug for the contributer. just networking.

how about one of you artistic folks (chrisfoerst sorry can't find a begging smilie) helping or creating an online downloadable flyer that i can pass out to the hydroponics stores. i could run off a bunch to pass out to the stores for their customers.

rfeiller
05-05-2011, 09:18 PM
you know it is too easy to sit and be entertained by someone elses efforts. and it is to easy for others to let a good idea end up expecting one person to do all of the work. in physical clubs there are people that hold different offices and spear head different aspects of the organization. i'm not sure how that is done in a forum like this. i am a creationist and believe that everything has to be created, not an evolutionist that expects a blank piece of paper to become a notable document. ;)

the new publication will prove to be a big plus. it has to span the spectrum from lite to heavy in it's subject matter. jcx for example is extremely talented and just enough twist to brighten a page or two. (as long as he stays off his meds :lol: :lol: ) urbanfarmer can hit the heavy end. like to hear from some successful commercial aquaculture folks. we aren't asking for your long hard earned trade secrets, just some help and direction.

i know that there are some heavyweight hydroponics guys out there that might throw in some enfo without devulging all of their secrets. i know aquaponics concept was low-tech, but it could certainly benefit with a shot of top of the line hi-tech info. come on folks.

remember by helping and teaching others we are helping and teaching ourselves and that is as good as it gets.

rfeiller
05-06-2011, 11:04 PM
i'm here

brotherfrancis
05-07-2011, 12:03 AM
aloha all,

i am definitely not a peak poster. i am sort of a very supportive voyeur accomplice....

my system is running very well, just got a delivery of 60 new tilapia to augment my original school that was originally around 45. i lost around 12-15 due to what we are calling net stress. many of the AP systems here are being stocked with tilapia from in ground ponds and originally were being harvested too rapidly and with too many in the net. this caused the scales of one fish to tear out the scales of another, or to get dorsal fin punctures, and days or weeks later the fish would weaken, get sick and die. we were going kinda crazy wondering if we were infested with parasites or strep. anyway now we catch less fish more slowly. and we talk real nice to 'em.

thanks for taking the extra time for all your posts. it is amazingly helpful to be able to research AP through this forum. by your good graces i hope to avoid the avoidable.

peace from maui,
francis

swamp creek farms
05-09-2011, 01:13 PM
i post sometimes, most the time i might be wrong, or stupid. :cry: but i try. the only way i can teach/help some one else out is tell them what i did wrong. seems like that is the best way i learn too. :oops:

tenderwolf
05-09-2011, 01:34 PM
i've seen a few posts on this site and have been impressed. i stumbled into aquaponics but like my regular veggie growing i found it very interesting to use things that other people throw away to make my gardens work. i would love to try and learn enough about aquaponics so that i might be able to put together a setup made of scavanged or scrap items. maybe there are others out there like me looking for info on new ways to build on what currently works for everyone else.