PDA

View Full Version : my 1st attempt at aquaponics

tenderwolf
05-05-2011, 08:00 AM
i have found in the past 5-6 years that i really enjoy growing veggies cooking. i love to watch my veggies grow and someone told me that i needed to check out what aquaponics was all about. after doing a ton of searching for info i finally decided to just give it a try and one day while sitting in my cubicle-cell at work i decided to take my lunch break and get a fish tank. after a few modifications here is what i came up with for a first look at what an aquaponic system can do... this is a 1-1.5gallon tank with 2 feeder gold fish. i am currently growing lettuce

urbanfarmer
05-05-2011, 08:37 AM
Looking good! Keep us updated!

jackalope
05-05-2011, 07:03 PM
Is that in your office/cubicle/cell? That's a great way to encourage others to get involved in AP! Good going!

rfeiller
05-05-2011, 09:27 PM
that is the upside to ap any size can be made to be productive for veggies, folier plants or flowers. it beats staring at the computer and cubicle walls too.

urbanfarmer
05-05-2011, 10:48 PM
Try some Golden Pothos Ivy. It is common in most garden centers, and it grows GREAT in low light conditions.

tenderwolf
05-09-2011, 09:39 AM
jackalope, yes this is my office cubicle cell... and thank you

rfeiller, i agree, this is better than staring at the screen and walls all day long. i love to grow veggies. i figure if i am going to grow it i might as well eat it, lol

urbanfarmer, i was given one of those plants a few years ago and i have been using it for experiments with growing containers, i have a couple growing in old light bulbs . i'll post some pics in a little while. but i really do prefer veggies to anything else.

tenderwolf
05-09-2011, 09:54 AM
here are some of those Golden Pothos Ivy plants i was telling you about. To my suprise they grow in water alone, nothing has been added to the water.

urbanfarmer
05-09-2011, 11:19 AM
I have always been curious about that too. Perhaps they are nitrogen fixing? Must... research... golden... pothos... Zzzzz

tenderwolf
05-09-2011, 01:05 PM
not sure as i a very new to growing plants but it's really cool to watch them grow in old light bulbs..., the funniest part is the reaction that these city office types have to my setups. best part about the light bulbs is watching what the roots do as it grows

urbanfarmer
05-09-2011, 01:11 PM
not sure as i a very new to growing plants but it's really cool to watch them grow in old light bulbs..., the funniest part is the reaction that these city office types have to my setups. best part about the light bulbs is watching what the roots do as it grows
That is a really neat setup regardless. You might even be able to start a recycling non-profit called "Bulbs for Plant Bulbs" or something :lol: That's a very neat way to get people into gardening, at a minimum!

tenderwolf
05-09-2011, 01:21 PM
not a bad idea, i'll have the time soon to look into it. i would like to see if anyone close to me has a setup or lessons for aquaponics, i keep finding them in florida or cali but i'm in pennsylvania...

urbanfarmer
05-09-2011, 02:31 PM
not a bad idea, i'll have the time soon to look into it. i would like to see if anyone close to me has a setup or lessons for aquaponics, i keep finding them in florida or cali but i'm in pennsylvania...
Eh, just use the forums it's free. If you have your heart set on some one-on-one help I'm sure one of us can play consultant for a spell. :lol:

tenderwolf
05-09-2011, 03:36 PM
not really looking for one-on-one help, i like to look at existing setups, so i can get ideas for how to tinker one for myself. alot of these setups i've seen on the forums are very pro like, and i want to try to design something a little different. the setup i have on my desk uses a 2liter coke bottle as a holder for one of my lettuce plants. i like making junk useful.

keith_r
05-10-2011, 06:32 AM
i'm in northeast ohio about an hour and a half from erie..i was out in reading for about 3 years..
i thought there was another poster on here from pa though..

tenderwolf
05-17-2011, 12:09 PM
update for my desktop setup:
it's been about 2 weeks since i posted pics of this setup and it is growing very nicely but i have a question. is the lettuce suppose to taste bitter?

keith_r
05-17-2011, 12:16 PM
my lettuce didn't get bitter until it started getting to hot out.. what kind of lettuce is it?

tenderwolf
05-17-2011, 12:20 PM
the only thing it says here is (lactuca sativa). i hope that helps... this lettuce came with the hydroponics setup that i started with

keith_r
05-17-2011, 12:50 PM
not sure why it turned bitter, i doubt it's been to hot where you are but i did find this;

The bitterness can be decreased -- and possibly eliminated -- by washing the leaves and placing them in the refrigerator for one or two days.
Read more: Why Is the Lettuce in My Garden So Bitter? | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/info_8098029_lettuc ... z1MdoEGu4L (http://www.ehow.com/info_8098029_lettuce-garden-bitter.html#ixzz1MdoEGu4L)

tenderwolf
05-17-2011, 01:10 PM
i'll keep that in mind, the piece i tried earlier is part of the plant that was breaking off the stem of the plant so i ate it to see how it would be