PDA

View Full Version : crawfishing

WAbedroomponics
04-25-2011, 12:42 AM
I hope it is ok to make this thread in this section if it isn't then I am sorry. I was just wondering if anybody has some tips for catching crawfish because i haven't been able to catch any in my traps and was wondering if anybody had any tips :roll: And in washington is it legal to bring home the non-native Red Swamp Crayfish and raise them in an aquaponics system?

urbanfarmer
04-25-2011, 01:07 AM
It is okay to post here! As far as your question, I can't help ya there. I would just buy some breeders to start. I think they make hundreds of babies several times a year. It might be pretty hard though; so, do some research first. Badflash is our resident expert on the topic.

keith_r
04-25-2011, 05:30 AM
if you know there's cray's in a stream, try baiting your trap with beef liver or heart..
the problem with wild caught is that you won't be sure what you are introducing to your system (parasites, disease etc) - can you isolate them for a couple days after catching?
most cray's are highly territorial.. in a 55 gallon tank you might be able to keep 3 or 4
look for pond stockers in your area, i've bought crays at bait shops as well..

badflash
04-25-2011, 06:22 PM
I don't know the laws in Wahington, but growing local crayfish in doors is probably not the best idea. Most don't take to intenisive growing and by themselfs they would not provide enough nutrients for the plants.

I am experimenting with co-cropping red claw crayfish. If kept separate from tilapia they do OK. Both have the same needs for temperature and water hardness.

You'll need to check with the local authorities, but kept as pets and not on a commercial basis, most states allow them. Red Claws can't over winter in your part of the country, so they are not an invasive threat.

WAbedroomponics
04-25-2011, 06:49 PM
Red Swamp Crawfish have killed almost all native crawfish in a local lake and they have spread i will be catching them for dinner when season starts but i was hoping to keep them in a "live well" like tank to keep them till i get a chance to eat them OR breed some to sell as pets or something

WAbedroomponics
04-25-2011, 09:34 PM
i have heard so many different "best" crawfish baits. i have heard fresh fish from the lake, chicken liver, cat food, dog food, bacon fat in cheese cloth, raw bacon, fried bacon, worms, spam and alot more even weirder sounding things..... is there any baits that are pretty universal?

urbanfarmer
04-25-2011, 11:27 PM
I heard they like fresh fish poop. Have you tried that?

WAbedroomponics
04-25-2011, 11:57 PM
lol that sounds like a joke but after all the weird "best" baits i have heard of i have to ask.... are you being serious? if you are maybe i will use some of the build up gunk stuff in some cheese cloth and it might just work lol

urbanfarmer
04-26-2011, 12:09 AM
Let me know how it turns out!!! :lol: :twisted: :lol:

keith_r
04-26-2011, 05:44 AM
we caught plenty using liver.. beef worked best for us, but used chicken too.. just let it sit out in the sun (the bait) for the day, and set your trap in the evening with the nice stinky bait
the problem with most shrimp, the only way to do any kind of "intensive" growing is in ponds.. (dark waters/ more area), but it don't hurt to try! provide lots of hides and lots of food, and watch your water quality

urbanfarmer
04-26-2011, 07:05 AM
If stinky rotting bait helps attract them, then fish poop might really work!

WAbedroomponics
04-26-2011, 03:39 PM
they prefer fresh i think i will catch some pikeminnow to use as bait because theres a lake near by they dont want them in and i heard they arent very good eating but crawdads probaly wont mind lol

urbanfarmer
04-26-2011, 05:46 PM
:lol:

WAbedroomponics
04-27-2011, 12:53 PM
I wonder if fish poop would make the crawfish feel like the trap was more natural.... But would they start eating my trap lol???

WAbedroomponics
04-27-2011, 01:16 PM
I ask because I use plastic mesh fence and worked on it for a long time and I don't want it to be eaten because something thought it was a piece of s*** lol

urbanfarmer
04-28-2011, 02:53 AM
There is really only one way to find out!!!

WAbedroomponics
04-28-2011, 06:13 PM
Yeah I am literally gonna try this to see if they will feel safer going into the trap lol

urbanfarmer
04-28-2011, 06:16 PM
Yeah I am literally gonna try this to see if they will feel safer going into the trap lol
I want you to record this with 2 camcorders. One on the trap working and one on your face when it happens!!! :lol:

WAbedroomponics
04-28-2011, 06:38 PM
I have to say I won't be shocked if there's a couple more..... But I will be really shocked and p***Ed if they eat my trap lol :-D I will just jump in and drown them if they eat the trap I spent way to long to let them get away with it lol:-D