PDA

View Full Version : Let me see if I got this right! Startup

wolfracer
04-14-2009, 04:59 PM
Correct me if I am wrong here!

This is what I am assuming will happen in my system while starting up. Ammonia gets created first (threw a very very small amount of fish pellets in the tank) once the bacteria get going in the water I should see the ammonia level drop and the nitrite (NO2) level rise as the bacteria reduces the ammonia to nitrite, The nitrite level will then drop as the nitrate(NO3) level rises . The plants should then drop the NO3 as they use it up. Is this correct?

Now if I am having trouble building the correct bacteria I should see the ammonia level rise with no rise in the amount of nitrites and nitrates right?

I am also asssuming that this takes awhile to occur.

Also how long does a filter need to be in an aquarium before it has enough bacteria in it to start a system? I grap the one from my son's and daughter in laws last friday. They are the only ones I know that have a aquarium.

Changed the water out last Sunday (after the great catfish kill). and this is where I am at with levels today. Water temp 60F PH 7.9 Ammonia 1.5, NO2 0, NO3 0.

I believe my PH might be buffering high because of the presence of limestone in some of the pea gravel. hard to get away from limestone in Kansas.

Let's hear what you think! My skin is thicker than most.

wolfracer
04-15-2009, 07:45 AM
Any opinions?

JCO
04-15-2009, 01:52 PM
What's in this system? Have you already added fish? As for the bacteria filter media...the dirtier the better..as for the system...just keep pumping the water from the fish tank to the plants and back again...the plants will be fine on nothing but plain water for sometime....the purpose for the minute amount of fish food was to give the bacteria something to eat until you introduce the fish. Right now, don't be concerned about amonia, nitrites or nitrates...just get the ph and the water temp where it should be and once all is leveled out, you can add the test fish. :mrgreen:

wolfracer
04-15-2009, 02:22 PM
Thanks!

JeffW
04-15-2009, 04:34 PM
water is 60?

you must be getting into spring weather now or are you heating the green house?

wpbullock
04-15-2009, 07:39 PM
Didn't I read somewhere that the temperature has to be sort of warm even to get good bacteria activity?

Do you have any fish in your tank yet? Is there another post on here where you talk about what you're doing and what your set up looks like?

Good luck!

badflash
04-15-2009, 08:16 PM
I got lucky and got a good cycle going sort of by accident. I was growing Triops and they start off with r/o water. After a few months they get their own bacteria. I've transferred that stuff from tank to tank and never had an issue. Moving filter glop from one system to another estabishes an instant cycle.

Fresh systems without inoculation takes months.

wolfracer
04-17-2009, 06:42 AM
I guess I didn't really state what I am looking for here.... Is the start up of the bacteria cycle measurable? Do the ammonia , nitrite and nitrate levels indicate at different stages what is going on?

badflash
04-17-2009, 06:51 AM
Yes. Ammonia comes before nitrite, then nitrate. In a fishless cycle ammonia is added to get the bacteria started. Once the ammonia starts to drop you look for nitrite. Levels will spike up & down for a while, then ammonia and nitrite stay low and you are ready to add fish. This can take a couple of weeks starting from scratch.