PDA

View Full Version : system

waterrancher
01-22-2008, 05:35 PM
JCO, for ratios etc.
My system is small currently 300 gallon fish tank with a stocking of 30 fish. This is filtered by 100 gallons of pea gravel grow beds. So a very low stocking density of 1 fish per 10 gallons of water. I'm emagining stocking 1 fish per 3 gallons would not be too crowed for the Yellow Perch, they keep together most of the time as it is. Currently seeking Orgainc Certification and expanding so that each node will be a 300 gallon fish tank housing 100 YP's with 600 gallons of pea gravel grow beds.

JCO
01-23-2008, 07:38 AM
Waterrancher, Thanks for the info on your system. I am interested in your pursuit of an organic certification. A couple questions: Do you sell any of your produce or fish to the public? Also, please, for my benefit as well as other readers, elaborate on the procedure necessary to obtain this certification.

waterrancher
01-24-2008, 05:09 PM
JCO,
I do no sales at this time. As far an Organic Certification, that is not an easy process to explain, its best for any individual to do the research. First review what the National Organic Standards Board has done concerning its recomendations on Aquaculture Certifications. Next find a certifing agency in your geographical area and contact them concerning your setup. They will be able to let you know what the requirements are.
Sorry I am not being spicific here, there are just to many possibilities in design, as well as agency interpertations.
Again I would first get the latest NOSB standards to include their work from the Aquaculture task force then contact a local certifing agency and discuss it with them.
Google is your friend.

JCO
01-25-2008, 11:19 AM
That's very interesting. I had heard of the process before, but had never talked to anyone attempting to accomplish it. Thanks for the info and Good Luck.

waterrancher
01-25-2008, 01:56 PM
Thanks, there are a few hoops to get thru yet but one step at a time.

JCO
01-27-2008, 07:20 PM
Hey Waterrancher,

They taught me a long time ago in the Military, if you don't give up or quit, you can't loose, so give 'em whatfor and keep on truckin'

waterrancher
01-28-2008, 01:36 PM
Well just taking baby steps as I'm in no rush to kill a bunch of fish. :)