PDA

View Full Version : ferrocement

stucco
04-18-2011, 12:42 PM
We are going to be doing an end of spring ferrocement workshop. I want to see who is still interested and what their schedule is like before we lock in a date.

urbanfarmer
04-18-2011, 12:51 PM
I'm in for a definite maybe!

davidstcldfl
04-18-2011, 06:51 PM
Me too.....hope I can get a chance to attend.

stucco
04-27-2011, 06:44 PM
Are you looking for a cost effective way to build a large aquaponics system?

Look no further, ferrocement is a great solution!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrocement

Using a variety of learned techniques and a few tools you can build integral or freestanding tanks and growbeds to meet many needs. Coated with a potable water paint, these systems will not only stand the test of time, but they won't break the bank.

Workshop will be hands on - you should plan on getting dirty.
This is an ALL DAY Class with limited availability, so please reserve your space ASAP. Class Date: June 18, 2011

Cost of the workshop is $75.00 which includes garden fresh lunch and take home Ferrocement How To Manual.

Please email your information or contact us via PM.

urbanfarmer
04-27-2011, 07:31 PM
Are you looking for a cost effective way to build a large aquaponics system?

Look no further, ferrocement is a great solution!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrocement

Using a variety of learned techniques and a few tools you can build integral or freestanding tanks and growbeds to meet many needs. Coated with a potable water paint, these systems will not only stand the test of time, but they won't break the bank.

Workshop will be hands on - you should plan on getting dirty.
This is an ALL DAY Class with limited availability, so please reserve your space ASAP. Class Date: June 18, 2011

Cost of the workshop is $75.00 which includes garden fresh lunch and take home Ferrocement How To Manual.

Please email your information or contact us via PM.
Unfortunately, the gas would cost just as much, and it's just out of my budget right now. Any chance for some online/distance learning type workshop or material? :mrgreen:

FishNChips
04-28-2011, 01:33 PM
Hello there, Stucco. I spoke with you this morning about the workshop. I just wanted to let you know that my wife and I will definitely be attending. Thank you for offering this chance to learn about ferrocement!

See ya later

stucco
04-30-2011, 07:20 PM
It was a pleasure to speak with you this past week and we are very excited to meet you and your family.

FYI- I noticed that we have more than just AP in common- depending on our schedules and your length of stay we might be able to squeeze in something fun- I have 2 kayaks and an 20' family canoe. The fishing will be great in June!

We are still working on possible accommodations. There is a brand new Holiday Inn Express right around the corner and a Comfort Suites right off the Highway about 1/2 mile up from the HI Express.

Give us call when you get a chance regarding what you think your length of stay might be. Talk to you soon.

aquaarche
05-01-2011, 10:58 PM
I would be interested in distant learning too. A manual would be nice to read and get a feel for what I am to do.

can you take some pictures of the process during the workshop for us guys to far away to attend?

stucco
05-03-2011, 07:03 AM
Thank you for your interest.
Actually, we are working on the manual for the workshop- which may be offered as a download in the near future- but I do not know the cost as of yet. We are hoping to do it this way so that we can include video and pics which will help the viewer to accomplish the tasks involved with designing and building a system of this type. I will get back with you ASAP with more information as it comes available. Again, thank you for your interest.

urbanfarmer
05-03-2011, 01:08 PM
If you need any help with the digital side of things, putting it together or even hosting it, let me know!

urbanfarmer
05-05-2011, 09:12 AM
Or, I can some speak as a Master Gardener followed with a complete Q/A session. This is a free service of course. What do you think? :mrgreen:

Although, if you will mostly have members from this forum... that might not be so useful for them! :lol:

stucco
05-16-2011, 05:30 PM
We built a cool trough this week. Its 18”w x18”d x 16’long. it has a 6”drain pipe and I intend on plumbing all of the bed drains into it as a pre sump trough/constant filled bed.

urbanfarmer
05-16-2011, 10:56 PM
WOW! I wish I had the talent for that!!!

stucco
05-17-2011, 06:30 PM
Those of you interested in our upcoming Ferrocement Workshop, please pm me with your email or contact info so that I can send you the required registration form complete and return as directed ASAP to finalize your space in the class.

The class will be hands on with multiple different techniques being utilized. Please wear proper attire.

Beverages and Lunch will be served on site fresh from the garden and local farms.
Please contact me with any questions. Thank you and looking forward to meeting with all of you.

aquaarche
05-21-2011, 05:41 PM
Wish I could Stucco but flying from the Philippines to there is really expensive. I would like to just see a video or pictures as to who you framed it and applied the cement. I would consider this a solution to our expense and lack of materials herein Palawan.

stucco
06-04-2011, 10:32 AM
The new project that we started this week.

urbanfarmer
06-04-2011, 11:11 AM
Truly amazing Stucco! Are you going to seal these with wax? :D

stucco
06-04-2011, 11:24 AM
Thank you! Yes I’m going to use the wax cuz I still have quite a bit left over from the trial bed, but I still think the epoxy is the way to go.
This tank and bed are for some duck that TCLynx hooked us up with. The supports on the bottom will hopefully be nesting boxes

davidstcldfl
06-04-2011, 02:31 PM
Nice.... :mrgreen:

dufflight
06-06-2011, 07:38 PM
Looks good. Would have to be a good way to make a swirl filter.

stucco
06-06-2011, 07:53 PM
:mrgreen:

scotteboy
06-12-2011, 12:40 PM
This looks really cool and economical!

What type of wax are you using?

What is your cement mixture?

aquaarche
06-29-2011, 04:34 AM
Thank you! Yes I’m going to use the wax cuz I still have quite a bit left over from the trial bed, but I still think the epoxy is the way to go.
This tank and bed are for some duck that TCLynx hooked us up with. The supports on the bottom will hopefully be nesting boxes

Are you sealing them because they are not water proof. There are cement additives you can add to water proof the mix. all you need to do is wash it clean so none of the residue will harm your fish. But coating it all in white swimming pool paint will work well.

I like the pictures thanks for putting them in. I can now get a good idea of the frame structure are you mixing the cement a little dry then letting it set for 30 days moistening it and keeping it shaded?

samtheman
06-30-2011, 05:12 AM
That looks really nice!!!! 8-)

stucco
06-30-2011, 05:53 AM
Thanks sam!
Aquaarche be careful of the additives they sometimes have some pretty nasty chemicals in them… even though they are water proof they (the chemicals) still leach off. And the pool paint is not considered food grade even though folks have been using it for years. The wax is food grade and allot less expensive it just takes allot of time to apply.
I’ve been in and out of the hospital the last few weeks so I’m a bit behind on the ferrocement manual that we’ve been working on but, I will keep you posted.
:geek:

davidstcldfl
06-30-2011, 06:04 AM
I’ve been in and out of the hospital the last few weeks
Praying for a quick and complete recovery :D

stucco
06-30-2011, 06:07 AM
thank you :!:

rfeiller
06-30-2011, 06:56 AM
xypex is one that is in question, a large public aquarium used it as an admix and lost fish. i don't know if it was settled. i need to research that out. i use xypex as an additive in construction of concrete garage structures it is fantastic. but use caution, some coatings will not adhere to concrete that has waterproofing add mixtures.

aquaarche
07-10-2011, 07:23 PM
how do you apply the wax?

also if you use a concrete neutralizer doesn't that pretty much stop most of the leaching? isn't that what the neutralizer is for?

aquaarche
08-25-2011, 02:28 AM
Stucco,

I know you make money on some of this stuff but if you can help it would be great. We are a small church doing an outreach to train recently released prisoners in Aquaponics. this will give them hands on in training, building and operating an aquaponic farm.

Your ferrous cement designs are best suited for here because of costs. I am working on a design that will have a fish tank, grow bed troughs and a four part filter system all done in Ferrous cement. I am looking at inexpensive ways of water proofing the system.

stucco
08-25-2011, 02:57 AM
I’m very sorry that I haven’t gotten back in contact with you. I’ve been in and out of the hospital and trying to catch up at work. It’s our busy season so unfortunately the ferro manual is on hold for now. My wife had to teach the classes for me while I was in the hospital.
We don’t make any money off of the classes and the manual will be a little more than the cost of the printing. That said, I will be glad to help you with your project. I will go back to this forum thread and start from the beginning of the process and go through it step by step. Please ask as many questions as you need to….

aquaarche
08-25-2011, 04:18 PM
I knew your were in and out of the Hospital as you revealed that earlier. We have been praying for your health. I hope all is going well. I was planning on coming to the States next year. But so far the US embassy has postponed my wife's visa and for no clear reason. So i don't know when we will be coming but we will be in your area.

I was looking for videos on how to apply the mixture and finally came across a youtube video on one guy that helped and I found another place with still shots showing the use of styro foam. I was wondering how you apply the wax to water proof. I was hoping to use non-toxic swimming pool paint to protect the outside.

Is it necessary to coat the rebar and mesh with a rust inhibitor?

Praying all goes well

aquaarche
08-28-2011, 04:42 AM
Stucco,

Do you use a cement milk over your finished ferrocement tanks and troughs?

Does this actually help in water proofing? or for strengthening? or just sealing?

I am interested in trying to make a system with a ascetic design to fit into the landscaping rather than look like a bulky Aquaponic system and fish tank.

There are thousands of uses for ferrocement that it boggles the mind.

stucco
08-28-2011, 09:40 AM
You do not have to use a rust inhibitor, but the rebar does need to be fully encapsulated. If there is rust on the rebar at the start of the project it can be removed/cleaned with chemicals (http://www.ospho.com/) in order to deter deterioration- but that is not entirely necessary so long as it will no longer be exposed to the elements.
As for the 'milk', it does help to waterproof since it is pretty much straight portland cement (no sand)- It can give a smoother finish- but it can be extremely hard to get it right. It dries really fast and takes a lot of practice. It does not eliminate the problems with PH- which is more of a concern for AP. Wax does.
As for the wax, it is candle wax- parrafin which can be bought online in large chunks. Application can be accomplished with a standard blow torch - like for plumbing (the yellow works better- not sure what it would be in the Philippines). Better yet- if you can get your hands on a roofing torch or weed torch with a propane tank attachment you will be able to complete the wax in much less time. Something like this will work- there are a lot of manufacturers and I'm sure you can find something similar where you are. (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000AXEFT/ref ... B0000AXEFT (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000AXEFT/ref=asc_df_B0000AXEFT1662961?smid=AF8EGQ3KRZQB6&tag=nextagusmp0431738-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395105&creativeASIN=B0000AXEFT)). Melt the wax in a pot pour onto the tank and use the torch to 'burn' it into the concrete. You will see it being sucked up into the cement layer- when you see it you will understand what I mean. Do this until it will not accept any more in that area, then move on until you have coasted the entire surface.
I will try to get a video up soon and give you a link, but right now I am having my wife type this since I am on the couch wheezing yet again.
Don't know how much the pool paint you talking about costs for the exterior- but there is no need to use anything extravagant. There is no real need to waterproof the outside- except for visual puposes- though they do waterproof large cisterns for potable water. You can use the wax or any standard house paint since it will not be integral to the system.
Hope this helps, thanks for the prayers and I will get back with you soon.

urbanfarmer
09-23-2011, 09:26 AM
We are going to be doing an end of spring ferrocement workshop. I want to see who is still interested and what their schedule is like before we lock in a date.
When is the next one? I will be doing a mission trip and I would like to give them my input on building the tanks. They only have access to cement; so, this is what we will be using down there. We are building systems to feed children and remove little girls from prostitution and allowing the people there to gain some economic foothold to uplift themselves out of poverty. Malnutrition, among other diseases and parasites, are killing many every day... I didn't mean to rant, but please please please, let me know when your next workshop is! Thanks buddy! :mrgreen:

Oh, and I'll be +1. You can't count 2 RSVP already!

stucco
09-24-2011, 09:12 AM
Well, I would do a private class to help your cause, but I need something in return. I’ve been quite ill off and on so I’ve been slacking on the manual that I’ve been working on. I will teach you the ferro process and that will help me finish the book that I’ve been putting off. What does your schedule look like?

stucco
09-27-2011, 04:08 AM
:?:

urbanfarmer
09-27-2011, 08:28 AM
Well, I would do a private class to help your cause, but I need something in return. I’ve been quite ill off and on so I’ve been slacking on the manual that I’ve been working on. I will teach you the ferro process and that will help me finish the book that I’ve been putting off. What does your schedule look like?
Hey, sorry buddy I totally missed this post. I'm free after October 6th! I can definitely help you with the book; so, it's a deal! ;)

I'm pretty flexible after the 6th. Tuesdays and Thursdays I'm usually busy. Other than that, whatever works best for you is fine with me.

aquaarche
09-29-2011, 03:26 AM
When is the next one? I will be doing a mission trip and I would like to give them my input on building the tanks. They only have access to cement; so, this is what we will be using down there. We are building systems to feed children and remove little girls from prostitution and allowing the people there to gain some economic foothold to uplift themselves out of poverty. Malnutrition, among other diseases and parasites, are killing many every day... I didn't mean to rant, but please please please, let me know when your next workshop is! Thanks buddy! :mrgreen:

Oh, and I'll be +1. You can't count 2 RSVP already!

What type of Mission trip are you doing If you don't mind my asking? We feed poor children and rescue young girls and teens form prostitution too. We are in the Philippines doing missions work for Calvary Chapel.

urbanfarmer
09-29-2011, 07:38 AM
It sounds like you are doing God's work! Yes, it's very similar except I will be going to parts of Central America. The idea is to use aquaponics to create food for them as well as allow them to have something to sell. This particular location is just getting set up and is the first (that I know of) using aquaponics; so, it's not quite working right.

stucco
11-05-2011, 09:48 AM
[youtube:ytqju6un]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aG8_11n-H6g[/youtube:ytqju6un]