PDA

View Full Version : A Brief Introduction to Aquaponics

urbanfarmer
04-17-2011, 09:17 AM
[I wasn't sure where to post this. This was written as a 300 word article for a local gardening publication. It was written for an audience that has an interest in gardening, but does not know anything about aquaponics and may not even have a pre-existing interest in it. Any feedback would be appreciated as it has not printed just yet; so, I can make adjustments if needed. Thanks for reading!]

AQUAPONICS: The Dirt On Soilless Gardens

As the name suggests, aquaponics is the combination of hydroponics and aquaculture. If you're not familiar with either of these, let me explain. In hydroponic gardens the plants are grown in rocks or just water, but most importantly no soil. Aquaculture is very familiar to us all, as many of us have had a pet fish or know someone who has. As a result, aquaponics is the perfect marriage between the two. Anyone who has ever cared for fish knows, fish like to make a mess in their tank after eating their fish food. Well, that fish waste gets converted in something called the nitrogen cycle by bacteria that naturally occur in our environment. Many people call these "good bacteria" because they do much good for our environment. When the bacteria convert the fish wastes into a substance called nitrate, a source of nitrogen for plants, the plants can absorb it and turn it into leafy greens, fruits, or vegetables. The end result is that the bacteria have food, the plants have food, and the fish have clean water to live in. Some people consider this a natural and organic way to grow your plants. However, I like to think of it as the cheapest way to fertilize, and in these tough economic times who wants to pay for expensive organic fertilizers when fish food is by far cheaper! But, you don't have to be a cheapskate like me to appreciate the miniature cycle of life aquaponic gardens embody. Although it has only come back into practice in the last 40 years, you might be surprised to know that this technology is thousands of years old dating back to the ancient Babylonians, Incas, Aztecs, Egyptians, and of course the Romans. So, why not add a sustainable, organic, and above all cheap way to grow your plants and veggies? :-)

jackalope
04-17-2011, 11:23 AM
Good article - especially the reference to Babylon (Babylonian hanging gardens?)

urbanfarmer
04-17-2011, 02:42 PM
Thank you. Yes, I didn't go into detail because honestly I don't know that much about the history and I had to keep it short. More of a teaser and to give it that "oh wow" effect.

davidstcldfl
04-18-2011, 06:50 AM
Nice....'good bait'... :lol: ....you should catch a few with that.

urbanfarmer
05-05-2011, 09:09 AM
Thanks everyone, I did submit it, and they really liked it. Now to wait and see how the public reacts...