PDA

View Full Version : Just starting in AZ

AZdesertFarmer
04-11-2011, 02:31 AM
Hi everyone and thanks for the great forum. It has been very helpful so far and I am sure it will continue to be.
So here's the plan:
IBC system. 2 units as fish tanks (175 gallons each), 1 as a sump, and 6 inverted lids as growbeds. CHIFT-PIST with timed flood and drain to 4 of the growbeds, the other 2 constant flood. Sump pumping to the constant flood beds 24/7 with an irrigation valve diverting some of the flow to fish tank to provide the overflow to the F&D beds 15 min/hr. Starting with some large goldfish from a friends backyard pond and 10 gallons of pond water to cycle the system. Then adding Bluegill fingerlings into the 2nd FT.
Has anyone had success breeding bluegill. I want this system to be sustainable. I don't want to have to buy new fish every year. (All my veggies will be heirloom varieties for seed saving)

JCO
04-11-2011, 05:38 AM
Welcome to the show....pull up an easy chair, relax and stay awhile. New voices are always a welcome addition to our family..! Whatever questions you have on you mind, this is the place to get the answers so pick a topic of your interest and start your own thread and Enjoy. .:mrgreen:

keith_r
04-11-2011, 05:41 AM
i've read online of some folks having limited success breeding bg.. might take some work, but you should be able to do it, just read up on conditions, temps, etc..
bg are nest builders, so you'd have to provide some kind of substrate, maybe a separate breeding tank that you can remove the adults from after they do their thing..

rfeiller
04-11-2011, 01:03 PM
Welcome to the forum

urbanfarmer
04-13-2011, 09:22 PM
Hello and welcome! :mrgreen: