PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from Northern Utah

PennyRC
04-09-2011, 12:24 AM
Hello All,
I've been interested and reading about Aquaponics for some time. I joined this form near the end of March, but this is my first post.

I've been working on a small indoor system, two days ago I started water flowing :D . Both my grow beds stopped flowing last night :( , too little flow for the bell siphon to work properly, that was easily corrected. Now both beds cycle between 12 to 15 minutes.

My system consists of two black tubs, 20" X 26" X 6", stacked one above the other. I have 22" between the lower bed and the upper bed, and 24" from the upper bed to the ceiling (i guess I'm not growing any corn inside). I have a grow light that I'll mount on the ceiling, far enough away that both beds will benefit. Yes, I know they are a little shallow, but I've seen other people growing veggies with less depth, and besides they fit my space. My fish tank in an 18 gallon Rubbermaid tub, although I'm thinking of getting something larger (not sure what with my space restriction). Water pump is a 300 - 500 GPH pond pump from Lowes. I'll bet some pictures taken tomorrow and post them. What's the size limit for pictures here?

I have a question that I'll open to everyone, lots of replies would be great because I need all the help I can get. I've search Cache valley from one end to the other and don't fine anyone that carries the expanded clay pebbles, or pebbles of any kind. I can get pea gravel, which I've seen some people use very successfully, but I was hoping for something larger. Question, has anyone every used Lava rock in a grow bed? I'm thinking that with the porous surface it should work almost as well as the clay pebbles, just hard on the hands. Any thoughts?

Thanks for your help

Penny

JCO
04-09-2011, 04:48 AM
Welcome to the show....pull up an easy chair, relax and stay awhile. New voices are always a welcome addition to our family..! Whatever questions you have on you mind, this is the place to get the answers so please pick a topic of your interest and start your own thread and Enjoy.

As for the size of photos, you will need to upload them to a site such as http://photobucket.com/ and then link them to you post.

As for using lava rock, it will work fine. It comes in two different sizes. If you can find it, the smaller of the two is best. It's a bit rough on the hands though..:mrgreen:

rfeiller
04-09-2011, 08:15 PM
welcome to the forum

i am using black lava in two grow beds and hydroton in one. cost is a big issue with hydroton. plants are doing fine in the black lava.

urbanfarmer
04-13-2011, 09:19 PM
Hello and welcome! :mrgreen: