PDA

View Full Version : Indoors or outdoors?

chrisfoerst
04-03-2011, 01:01 PM
I can't decide if I should set up inside ( a sunroom that would require artificial light) or outside (no greenhouse, just tarps and netting for protection.)
Is it better to work in a controlled environment or is it better to have the system interact with the outdoor environment? My thought is that it may be easier to get beneficial insects to keep pests down if it's outside?
I would love to hear from any of you who have experience with the dilemma. Thanks!

badflash
04-03-2011, 07:00 PM
How do you have a sunroom with no sun?
Outside is good as long as the temperatures support it. You can move indoors when it doesn't.

chrisfoerst
04-03-2011, 07:40 PM
Yes, the sunroom has windows on two walls but it will still need additional light.
It's also part of our house and my family is not too thrilled by the fish smell. Will this get better once they are part of an aquaponics system? One issue with outdoors is that we are in the dust storm season in El Paso.
What is considered too hot for aquaponics? We get up into the 100s in June. Is that another reason to stay in doors?
O

rfeiller
04-03-2011, 10:01 PM
having lived in Deming, NM i know those dust storms with wind up to 75mph. with the strong temp swings plants have a tough time there. you will have a challenge with evaporation from your system. the cold in the winter and the heat in the summer i would certainly have it in an enclosure.
Badflash, i also have a sunroom in NM, you don't want the summer high altitude sun in your windows believe me. my sunroom faces northeast, all of the cactus face southwest where the sun is most intense.

chrisfoerst
04-03-2011, 10:24 PM
Ok, that helps. I guess I'll move things back inside tomorrow. Thanks for the feedback.

badflash
04-04-2011, 05:56 PM
Done right, there is no fish smell.

chrisfoerst
04-04-2011, 07:49 PM
Ok, makes sense. Let's hope I do it right!