PDA

View Full Version : JCO- Congrats on new magazine

gosmith
04-02-2011, 08:53 AM
JCO-

Wasn't sure if this was the right place to post about the magazine, but I couldn't find another thread started yet, so feel free to move this as needed.

Fantastic job on creating the magazine! I'm well aware of how much effort goes into a project like this and how much commitment it takes . . . My hat's off to you!

Now for a little tender lovin' CC (Constructive Criticism.)

Your layout looks good. I like the simple B&W newspaper feel. Easy on the eyes. How about putting a link to the forum on the menu bar at the top of the page? Also, someone with a good understanding of HTML can tell you how to make the page automatically adjust to exactly fill the screen based on the user's window size. It's cutting off the right side of the page on my little laptop and I hate having to scroll over to see what's there.

About the biggest thing I noticed overall were a certain number of typos. Please don't be afraid to ask forum members to help proofread your articles before going live with them. I'm sure many of the members would also be more than willing to let you use their pics whenever you need them, (maybe with a photo credit attached?)

The one article I'd like to critique is "Trying to make it work"

I'd like to see a more positive spin about the importance of AP without the doom and gloom guilt trip. For instance, we don't need to know that automobiles are polluting the atmosphere in order to understand that growing food in your backyard helps reduce the amount of fuel used in transporting food from distant sources. We don't need to know how bad the water pollution might be in Haiti in order to understand that AP systems offer a great advantage in water restricted regions by reducing irrigation needs by 90 percent or more,

Many of us agree that humans are having a detrimental impact on the planet. Sadly, there are many others who really don't give a rip but might be drawn to aquaponics for reasons that have nothing to do with saving the planet, such as the adaptability to urban environments and other places where dirt gardening, and certainly fish farming, are impractical.

Thanks again for all your hard work. Best wishes on this new project.

Gary

JCO
04-02-2011, 01:37 PM
gosmith, thanks for the recognition of effort. Between the forum being hacked and getting the J/M put together, its been a real beast with the burning of lots of midnight oil. Now, since you volunteered 8-) , how 'bout registering on the Journal Magazine and placing your critique of the article in question on there as a comment. Maybe by doing so, between the two of us, we can generate more interest in the technology of Aquaponics and the J/M. I would greatly appreciate your input.

As for the spelling, I fired my spell checker and hired a new one and it doesn't do any better so I'll just have to be more careful.

Also, while I have it on my mind, I invite you and every member of the forum to contribute articles to the Journal Magazine so we can put more meat on it's bones by the next issue due out the 1st of July. :mrgreen:

davidstcldfl
04-02-2011, 03:20 PM
Nice to see the magazine ....I only had a chance to give it a quick glance. Looking forward to reading it soon. Congradulations !

gosmith
04-04-2011, 03:23 AM
JCO- I tried to register at the magazine, but can't seem to get it to work. The register page has a box for username and e-mail, but no password request box. I tried to do it again, but now it tells me I'm already registered. Am I doing something wrong?

Gary

tem1160
04-04-2011, 04:30 PM
where do you access the magazine?

JCO
04-04-2011, 06:21 PM
At the top of the page in the menu where it says "DIY JOURNAL" :mrgreen:

urbanfarmer
04-13-2011, 01:19 PM
Wow, I'm away for a week or two and everything changes!!!

urbanfarmer
04-13-2011, 09:10 PM
WordPress 3.1.1 is available! Please notify the site administrator.
:mrgreen:

rfeiller
04-13-2011, 09:36 PM
i remember a program called wordstar 3.1.1 25 yrs ago?

urbanfarmer
04-14-2011, 06:02 PM
That was meant for JCO... lol