PDA

View Full Version : Genovese Basil

JCO
03-24-2011, 11:12 AM
Genovese Basil (Ocimum basilicum)

Genovese' is one of the most popular herbs throughout the world because it yields 7 to 8 cuttings from each plant and makes the best pesto of all basils.

Genovese Basil is easily grown from seed. The seed germinate readily at temperatures between 75-85 degrees. It is especially suited to Aquaponics and grows to maturity very quickly, however it does best protected from the wind and scorching midday sun. It should be planted outside only when night temperatures reach 50 to 55 degrees.

If you practice companion planting, plant basil near tomatoes and peppers to enhance their growth. Pinch it back early and often to encourage bushiness. Do not let it flower unless you want to let it set seed as this destroys the flavor and shortens the lifespan of the plant.

Save the one that is always trying to go to seed for next years planting.

It has few pests when grown outdoors. Among those are the Japanese beetle and slugs. Japanese beetles can be picked off by hand in the early morning.

As for the slugs, beer traps, (shallow dishes of cheap beer placed close to the plants every 3') drown them when they crawl into them.

If grown in a greenhouse you must watch for aphids and whiteflies.

There are 150 varieties of Basils and all can be grown in an Aquaponics system so pick your favorite and enjoy.

urbanfarmer
05-03-2011, 06:24 AM
You can snip the flowers off as they come up to extend the flavor life of the basil.

rfeiller
05-03-2011, 07:36 AM
what's neat about basil, just go to the grocery store and buy a bunch take it home and put it in the system it roots very rapidly. has a wonderful fragrance in the green house. instant plants! not sure which varieties i have one is an italian variety that has a stronger taste and fragrance (purchased at the produce department in an italian grocery store) then also a milder variety or two.

urbanfarmer
05-03-2011, 01:13 PM
Man, it's so expensive here that it's cheaper to by seed. Basil has been the easiest plant to grow I have ever had. I don't think you could kill basil even if you tried!

cedarswamp
05-03-2011, 03:37 PM
At the moment I have Genovese, globe and lemon basil in my GB. 1st time I've grown basil, but it seems like a pretty bulletproof plant.

dglmann
05-03-2011, 04:28 PM
Is Genovese Basil the same as Sweet Basil?

cedarswamp
05-03-2011, 04:58 PM
Yes Genovese is a cultivar of sweet basil

JCO
05-03-2011, 06:31 PM
Don't want to start a uproar here but sweet basil and Genovese are two separate basil...they may come from the same family but each has its own characteristics and don't look alike. Genovese is what the Italians like to use for pesto sauce and sweet is for mainly for seasoning. :mrgreen:

urbanfarmer
05-03-2011, 06:35 PM
Is Genovese Basil the same as Sweet Basil?
It's not "the same" plant per se, but it's the same species. As stated, it's a cultivar of Ocimum basilicum, which means they are the same species with significantly different phenotypes.

Have a gander at the vast differences within the same species (cultivars): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_basil_cultivars

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet :lol: :lol: :lol:

cedarswamp
05-03-2011, 07:12 PM
Wow! Thanks for the link. I stand corrected, I didn't realize Ocimum basilicum encompased so many vastly different varieties.

No cause for an uproar JCO, if being wrong about basil is the worst thing that happens to me today, I figure I'm doin' OK. :lol:

I like to just tear my Genovese up in a salad.

keith_r
05-04-2011, 05:37 AM
we had lemon basil, lime basil and sweet basil in the dirt last year, all did well and provided some great tastes to meals..
cinammon basil did great in my growbed, so did genovese

JCO
05-04-2011, 08:20 AM
On this forum...we don't point fingers...we are about disseminating information and if someone is mistaken about a subject, then the correct information is posted in a friendly manner without malice or childish actions at being corrected. No harm done by your post...it actually brought out more information on the subject. :mrgreen:

rfeiller
05-04-2011, 11:15 AM
A large organic herb grower in my area who supplies many of the stores uses cuttings to produce new plants. It so much faster from cutting to market then using seeds. Time is money.

cedarswamp
05-04-2011, 12:19 PM
On this forum...we don't point fingers...we are about disseminating information and if someone is mistaken about a subject, then the correct information is posted in a friendly manner without malice or childish actions at being corrected. No harm done by your post...it actually brought out more information on the subject. :mrgreen:

Heck I hope you didn't take my last post the wrong way :oops: I have absolutely no problem with being corrected ( my wife does it 2-3 times a day :lol: )when I'm wrong and thank you for doing so, I learned quite a bit about basil last night.

I'm as laid back and easy goin' as you'll find, no worries. :D

urbanfarmer
05-04-2011, 04:28 PM
A large organic herb grower in my area who supplies many of the stores uses cuttings to produce new plants. It so much faster from cutting to market then using seeds. Time is money.
Excellent point! I wasn't thinking from the commercial side since you mentioned for personal use. In my case, time is not money because I only spend money when I buy stuff not when I sit at home growing stuff! :mrgreen:

JCO
05-04-2011, 07:59 PM
cedarswamp, No worry, I don't have a problem with you, but you'd be surprised how some people get when corrected or disagreed with...no biggie, we'll go on from here together and learn more things ever day. 8-) :mrgreen: