PDA

View Full Version : Siphons

Pine
03-22-2011, 05:08 AM
Is there an alternative method to using a bell siphon?
I am concerned about the sealing around a hole drilled into the bottom and leaks comming out

Cheers,
Pine

keith_r
03-22-2011, 05:28 AM
hey pine,, standpipes, bell siphons and loop siphons are usually used, what is your gb made of?
there are bulkhead fittings or uniseal,
oh, and don't forget silicone (aquarium safe of course!)

i threaded pvc fittings through plastic barrels (drill the hole and use a metal nipple heated up to thread the hole) with a lock nut on one side and silicone around the threads

Pine
03-22-2011, 06:46 PM
my gb is made of plastic, I am considering using cf instead of a siphon for ebb flow because the gb is only 6 inches high

badflash
03-23-2011, 05:27 PM
Bulkhead fittings are very reliable. No need to worry.

Pine
03-23-2011, 06:52 PM
okay! excellent I have two of those!

I am thinking of switching from my 15 gallon glass aquarium to something a bit bigger, maybe a 30 or 40 gallon plastic tote

Is there any disadvantages of a Tote?
I plan on hanging 2 sponge filters off the side, putting black gravel in the bottom, and both tubes from my airator

urbanfarmer
03-23-2011, 08:45 PM
Totes are fine!

keith_r
03-24-2011, 06:48 AM
yeah, totes are fine, but keep an eye on them, you might need a brace across the middle, or a frame around the top

urbanfarmer
03-24-2011, 10:51 AM
True, the really big ones tend to not handle the weight of the water too well. I had to build a wooden frame around a 55 gallon rubber maid I use outdoors filled with gravel. Otherwise, it has been working great. I used regular PVC fittings and simply cut the threaded end short and then turned it into the hole in the tote. I then used the female end and locked it up similar to a bulk head fitting on the cheap... then some hot glue on one side and silicon on the other. I have not had a leak, ever. Oh, I used a U siphon because I didn't want to put it off the ground just for the siphon...

Pine
03-24-2011, 09:32 PM
Yeah I think a U siphon is what I had planned! I'm gonna brace a large tote with 2x4s and probabbly put some low light aquatic plants in the bottom with black gravel and a small piece of pipe for them to hide in.

Also It will have 2 sponge filters 2 air stones and a heater because where I live its cold so I need it to kick in when the water drops below 22 degrees Celsius

I have seedlings growing in rockwool, 2 trays of lettuce growing and one tray of assorted herbs.