PDA

View Full Version : Redesigned BarrelPonics

aquaarche
03-21-2011, 03:50 PM
I modified my barrelponic system to contain all water float beds. Also I made a 36" long Bio-filter, so for the moment I have a 12" pre-pump filter and a post-pump filter. The filter is screen scrubbers made in Philippines for scrubbing clothes by hand. I also used them as net pots. the Tomato roots have taken off and the basil is also growing faster. Lettuce has always done well.

the pH is 6.8, the ammonia is 0.5, the Nitrite (a little spike) is 1.0, and the Nitrate is 0.7. All seems well for the moment.

If you like you can go here to see the pictures

http://chette.tripod.com/id40.html

Pine
03-21-2011, 06:19 PM
do you use siphons to periodically drain the beds?

aquaarche
03-23-2011, 06:51 PM
While the grow beds do have some residual fish waste from the flood tank located at the top. No more waste is getting in at this time do to the filters I installed before and after the pump.

I use a fish tank siphon to clean out the beds, the flood tank and the water release tank that is the tank that dumps 18 gallons of water into the beds every five minutes, averaging 9 gallons per bed every five minutes.

I have discovered you don't need to make the post filter 36 inches long. just enough to hold three to five of the net filters is plenty. I went over board on the filter thinking it would help more to make it longer. But no need.

We are preparing for the Aquaponic Pilot Program for ex-prisoners here in Palawan. you guys at U of VI and Friendly Aquaponics will be interested in watching our development over the next few months we hope to have it operational by June and bacteria laden by July. I will add bacteria from my small system into the larger one to give it a bit of a jump start.

Friendly donated manuals and diagram drawings for three systems for this project. Thank you! Susanne Friend and Tim Mann of FriendlyAquaponics in Hawaii. They have been a lot of help in reading their news letters and other stuff. We are following their design with modifications on the grow beds. but we are looking forward to be a fully naturally organic system because it is impossible to get many of the items used by many else where in the world. Not only that customs here charges 100% tax on any system imported from the US, Australia, NZ or else where. I am also looking into developing a Taro bed as FreindlyAquapoincs has because that is a consumable product used here to eat both the root and leaves of the plant. freindlyaquaponics.com

I have been experimenting with a barrel system designed originally by Travis Hughey just to get the jist of operations and problems in Aquaponic for a year and a half now. and I recently redesigned it to be a miniature all water float bed system. I am ready to take it to the next level and build a medium size commercial setup. it that works we will build additional ones along side it at the site in Iwahig next to the Penal Farm and Prison. I will put a marker on Google Earth so you can find it in the business directory.

The idea of the program is to train the ex-cons through seminars, building and operations of the system in a half-way house setup. Once they are proficient in the training, construction and operations of the system then they can return home throughout the country with the working knowledge to do seminars or construction, to train and help others throughout the country in developing aquaponic farming. If they don't want to teach and assist at least they can go home and build one for themselves and be a benefit and not a burden on society by supplying fresh vegetables and fish for the local market or just for themselves to consume.

That is the problem here. the prisons are not like the ones in the States that give them education and opportunities to be a part of society. So this on one program set up to do just that.