PDA

View Full Version : Introducing myself

wpbullock
04-09-2009, 04:18 PM
Hi, everyone!

I am from northeastern Ohio and built a greenhouse last fall with a 1500 gallon built-in tank that I hoped to raise fish in. The greenhouse is going great and I have a lot of spinach, lettuce, beets, broccoli, peas, cauliflower, parsley, basil, tomatoes, squash, flats of flowers and other vegetables, etc, started.

The fish part of the dream, however... I am beginning to wonder if it is too much expense, etc, to be worth it. Maybe you all can help me figure out a cheaper way of doing what I want to do.

I don't care if I end up with very intensive culture - in fact, I actually think it would be better if I didn't because I think intensive culture will make the operation too susceptible to a quick "crash and burn". So, I am thinking to include the following in my set up:

- a 1500 gph circulation pump
- possibly some sort of water heater element
- a waste water storage tank (plastic barrel)
- a combination biofilter and solids filter where I was thinking about using this expanded plastic fiber material that comes in sheets and put a fairly fine mesh on top, then pull the top filter out ever few days and shake it off and rinse it in a smaller tank. The solids would fall off in the small tank and I'd use the pump to pump that gunk and water onto my vegetable beds. The biofilter would help to dissolve some oxygen into the water because it would be elevated above the fish tank and water would trickle down through the pads. I plan to use some sort of vacuum attachment on the pump to periodically vacuum the sediment off the bottom of the fish tank and instead of sending the dirty water to the biofilter, I'll divert the flow when I'm vacuuming either to the vegetables directly or to the waste water tank.
- I know that this method of aerating is not going to allow very intensive culture but I have seen a koi-raising operation where all the guy had was biofilter pad material but I don't think he had a bubbler of any sort.

Down the road, if I get the fish thing working well, I would like to fill in part of one of my raised beds with gravel and use it for aquaponics and grow some lettuce.

Question: I can find the pump and heater coil I want pretty reasonably but the thing that is surprisingly expensive is the biofilter pad material. Does anyone have any ideas on an inexpensive way to build a biofilter/aerator such that I can just limit the major components to a pump and biofilter? Any ideas as to the volume of biolfilter required?

Thanks and great to be here.

Wes

terryd
04-09-2009, 04:21 PM
Hello everyone I'm a newbie, just setting up my system with a 1000 IBC to start.
I'm in Parramatta near Sydney and a bit of a greenie, I believe leave nature alone.
:D

Green Builder
04-09-2009, 05:31 PM
Badflash has a simple filter design posted on here that is made of stackable plastic bins. If you use your system as an aquaponics design you will not need a biofilter. Your growth media and sump will handle the filtration for you. Good luck!

JCO
04-09-2009, 08:36 PM
A hail and hardy welcome to wpbullock and terryD....it is really great to hear from both of you and if I can ever be of any assistance, please feel free to contact me. Badflash and I have been involved in aquaponics for sometime and will help wherever possible. That's the nice thing about a forum...you have collective intelligence and experiences to pull form and everyday is a learning experience for all involved.

wpbullock sent me an email with a detailed description of his construction of his greenhouse etc. with some great picture...hopefully he will take the time to share them with everyone on the forum...I can tell you now, he did a great job of it.

jackalope
05-10-2009, 07:03 PM
Welcome to the forum wpbullock, terryd, and greenbuilder ..... I know, I know, I'm slow, but welcome anyways ... we're glad to see you here, and glad to have you aboard ;)

organicus_rex
05-26-2009, 10:08 AM
I'm a newbie to this forum and still in the information gathering stage. My goal is to have an AP system up and running by spring 2010. I'm also still in the process of moving and building so I'm a wee bit busy.

I've yet to cruise through the threads but looking forward to the journey.

JCO
05-26-2009, 10:25 AM
So, are we to judge by your handle that you are some sort of dinosaur or maybe just old like a large number of us :lol: Regardless, welcome to the show :mrgreen:

jackalope
05-26-2009, 01:24 PM
I'm a newbie to this forum and still in the information gathering stage. My goal is to have an AP system up and running by spring 2010. I'm also still in the process of moving and building so I'm a wee bit busy.

I've yet to cruise through the threads but looking forward to the journey.

"I've yet to cruise through the threads " ....... sometimes I read too fast ..... a bad habit of mine ..... I read that to say 'I've yet to curse these threads' :lol: :lol: :lol:

Welcome to the forum organicus_rex .

Glad to see you here!

... welcome fellow opensourcer ;) JeffW also uses Linux, so we're about to take over and force all the M$O$ users convert :evil: :twisted: :lol: :lol: j/k

wolfracer
05-27-2009, 08:28 AM
Welcome organicus_rex
Welcome to the obsession as JCO describes it. Looking forward to see what you come up with, as far as I can tell there is no limit to the types of systems that can be built. There are some pretty informed people here that have been tons of help to me. Again welcome!

mpugh5@aol.com
05-31-2009, 07:45 AM
organicus rex welcome to one fine forum, the info is flowing,enjoy the ride ;)