PDA

View Full Version : Japans Nuclear Situation - check this out.

jcx
03-17-2011, 04:08 PM
Check out my youtube channel to see whats really going on in japan.

My youtube channel - Great coverage of the japan situation.
[youtube:2yfwqpf4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bO3BL1TRzfY[/youtube:2yfwqpf4]

IF YOU DON'T CHECK OUT MY CHANNEL AT LEAST LOOK AT THIS - IT WAS BEEN BANNED ON YOUTUBE AND COULD GET TAKEN OFF IMAGE SHACK
Banned from youtube Video show scale of damage at fukushima \at 00:8 it shows the common storage pool, used to store mass amounts of spent fuel rods, fully collapsed.
http://img140.imageshack.us/i/49657371.mp4

rfeiller
03-17-2011, 11:05 PM
the japanese are notorious for lying about their problems and this is no different except they are being very irrisponsible as far as the world is concerned by not telling the truth to their people and the rest of the world.

jcx
03-18-2011, 12:12 AM
It's so bad now :cry:, I'm thinking about moving to South America.

badflash
03-19-2011, 06:03 PM
I am a nuclear professional. While this situation is a real tragedy, it shows how well these plants are actually built. As always, the media is sensationalizing this event, and the Obama administration is waiting for direction from the UN before it make a move.

The issue was not the earthquake. It was the Tsunami that swept away their source of emergency power. This caused a loss of the ability to cool the reactor and add water to the core. The explosions were cause by the venting of hydrogen to the building surrounding the primary containment. The hydrogen was made by a metal reaction with water, sort of like burning magnesium under water. Hydrogen is a by product.

Even with the explosion that blew away the surrounding support buildings, all the containment structures held, containing the core materials. The biggest exposure was from the spent fuel pools, which boiled off the shielding water that is supposed to stop the radiation from escaping to the outside world. Once the pools were refilled, the radiation levels dropped to low levels.

They have restored power to the site and are in a stable condition. Notice the media has suddenly stopped covering this story.

Feel free to ask questions, but make it technical, not political. Political = name calling and is not allowed.

jcx
03-19-2011, 07:37 PM
How bad do you think the mox fuel rods zirconium casing being corroded from salt water then being fully exposed and ignited was?

if they were dumb enough to build storage pools outside the main containment unit, then blow that building up, causing the fuel rods and fuel pullets to get shoot out like a pineapple grenade, What level would that be on the scale of 1 to 7?

Look at the record of the nuclear power company's. In every case of a near melt down, people are never warned correctly.

Check out the other plant in Yanaizu going bad. Makes you wonder how bad it really is there.
There camera turns to face the valley to see the smoke in the valley every 15 mins or so, for about 2 mins.
http://cs2.town.yanaizu.fukushima.jp/-w ... 9884840737 (http://cs2.town.yanaizu.fukushima.jp/-wvhttp-01-/GetOneShot?REQUEST_ID=1299884840737)
^^Refresh it to get the newest picture.

badflash
03-20-2011, 08:19 AM
I don't think the salt caused the hydrogen, it was the lack of cooling that did it. When zirconium gets above 2200F it will ignite in a steam atmosphere and generate hydrogen. The mistake was the siting of the plant in a known tsunami zone and not adequately securing the diesels so they could not be swept away. In the USA you can't build a nuclear structure on sand.

As far as warning people, it is a double edged sword. Evacuating people, especially panicked people, is very dangerous. Sheltering is almost always a better option. Passing out KI pills 4 or 5 days after the reactors shut down is also reckless. KI blocks the uptake of radio active iodine by saturating the thyroid gland. Radio active iodine decays away to nothing by that time and scared people may overdose on it.

The problem with communication is almost always one of not knowing all the facts. When a disaster like this strikes, the ability to communicate to the off site organizations is severely limited. Even the ones fighting the casualty don't have the big picture, and some things, like boiling off the fuel pool, isn't something they expect.

Fuel rods were never ejected from the spent fuel pool, or anywhere else. Where did you get that idea?

I do agree that spent fuel buildings need to be more robust. I'm sure that will be the next NRC mandate.

US reactors are not designed to vent to another building. They vent to atmosphere and also have hydrogen re combiners inside the containment. Combustible levels of hydrogen can't form.

jcx
03-20-2011, 08:54 AM
Russia today.

They have been calling it chernobyl on roids. I personally would never trust a media company own by G.E to properly report when G.E's nuclear plants fail. Did you check out the image shack movie? You can see where one of the buildings storage pools was. That thing inside that ruble that looks like a beat up range from a cabin was a nuclear reactor at one point. Good thing it never ruptured. That would seriously suck..

badflash
03-20-2011, 07:50 PM
You obviously have drawn your own conclustions. I can't respond to your question, because you have not posed one.

By the way, are you still beating your wife? I think you understand the quaestion where there is no right answer.

jcx
03-21-2011, 01:37 AM
I asked if you watched the image shack video. Look at 0:26 tell me you can put water into a pool that is totally blown away. And how you keep the rods in it...

Even Bill Nye is freaked out. :mrgreen:
[youtube:z34rwrl3]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcXf6aWt4hI[/youtube:z34rwrl3]

jackalope
03-21-2011, 11:27 AM
Alert: Fukushima Coverup, 40 Years of Spent Nuclear Rods Blown Sky High and other bad news links .....
http://www.infowars.com/alert-fukushima ... -sky-high/ (http://www.infowars.com/alert-fukushima-coverup-40-years-of-spent-nuclear-rods-blown-sky-high/)
http://www.infowars.com/the-amount-of-r ... chernobyl/ (http://www.infowars.com/the-amount-of-radioactive-fuel-at-fukushima-dwarfs-chernobyl/)
http://www.washingtonsblog.com/2011/03/ ... er-in.html (http://www.washingtonsblog.com/2011/03/tokyo-electric-power-company-water-in.html)

And in my opinion, it's high time the news media got excited about something other than what Britney Spears and Charlie Sheen had for breakfast. This is a major world crisis, and the world governments are sitting on their hands - Obama is on Vacation - and Bill Gates, Ted Turner, Ann Coulter and all the other Eugenics advocates are jumping up and down with joy! 10/20 years from now when cancer rates go sky high, the gov't will blame it again on health foods and vitamins instead of taking responsibility for not doing something about the radiation situation in Japan that's now circling the globe!

Speaking of Eugenics advocates, did you ever notice that the same people who spout that vomit-laden vitriole never seem to want to lower the world's population by taking themselves or their large families off the population rolls? That's the height of arrogance and elitism ...... Something to think about!

BTW, I'm not an Ostrich when it comes to exploding Nuclear plants, I take this situation very seriously!

JCO
03-21-2011, 03:42 PM
Yes and on a lighter note....I'm now absolutely certain that Japan's nuclear program is what created Godzilla..! I saw on TV where we killed her and her kids in downtown NY, but now I just know they are out to create another one, seriously. :shock: :o :lol:

One another note, you would think they had enough radiation during WWII to last a thousand years and here they go, trying to infect the entire planet. :mrgreen:

jcx
03-21-2011, 06:23 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_o ... _accidents (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_the_Fukushima_nuclear_accidents)

Reactor 3 has a tummy ache >_<

badflash
03-21-2011, 06:57 PM
Enjoy the media frenzy. They are reporting BS. Give it a week. The NEI website has a totally different picture.

No breach of the fuel pool, no ejected fuel. No Mothra raiding the countyside...

jcx
03-21-2011, 08:37 PM
NEI! LOLXOPERADONS are spawning all over your posts man.... NEI PROMOTES nuclear power. Should be Nuclear Sales Institute. Did anyone report Semi Valley, Chernobyl, or Three Mile Island correctly? No... We found out years after...

BAAAAAAd Fish is sheeple maybe....

http://organicordie.org/forum/download/file.php?id=9

jcx
03-23-2011, 03:15 PM
Wait... Without a salt reaction or meltdown how do you get a hydrogen explosion in a BWR?

badflash
03-23-2011, 05:22 PM
As I said previously, when zirconium, the cladding around the fuel, reaches 2200F it will start stripping oxygen from the steam. This also happened at TMI. This is far below the melting point of fuel which is around 5000F. The core boils off most of the water and that allows the temperature to increase and the zirc-water reaction to start and release hydrogen.

The AMA promotes medicine. Does that automatically make them liars? Why do you impugn NEI's integrity? Just because you are against nuclear power means that anyone that differs with your view is evil? Take a deep breath and calm down. They are the best and most accurate source of information. The crap you are getting from the news media is only meant to scare you and sell advertising.

Wait... Without a salt reaction or meltdown how do you get a hydrogen explosion in a BWR?

badflash
03-23-2011, 05:23 PM
CNN dropped by my plant the other day. Why the brass let them in I'll never know, but they made a pretty positive spot:
http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/bestof ... .point.cnn (http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/bestoftv/2011/03/23/exp.am.intv.indian.point.cnn)

jcx
03-25-2011, 09:53 AM
The MOx reactor pooped.

[youtube:1ee7itk6]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsVugAWE8es[/youtube:1ee7itk6]

jackalope
03-29-2011, 07:36 PM
If the News Media is fullabull, why did the director of the Power Plant come on the camera, crying, and say that the big official story was lies and he was apologizing to all the people that are going to die from the radiation? Why is the head of Tokyo Power out of the country for the past two weeks, and supposedly no one knows his whereabouts?

Why this:

Japanese Prime Minister Naoto Kan has said his government is in a state of maximum alert over high-level radiation leaked from the quake-wrecked nuclear power plant in the country’s northeast.

Speaking at the House of Councilors Budget Committee on Tuesday, Kan said the situation at the plant “continues to be unpredictable” and that the government “will tackle the problem while in a state of maximum alert.”

He gave the assurance to the parliamentary committee after traces of radioactive water as well as highly toxic plutonium were detected outside the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant.

gosmith
03-30-2011, 11:06 AM
I have mixed feelings about nuclear power. On the surface, it's a fairly clean way to make electricity. No CO2 emissions. And despite a few very notable exceptions, including the current crisis in Japan, it's pretty safe too. The problem for me is how to deal with the waste on a long term basis. Haven't seen any acceptable plan for that yet, despite lots of smart people working on the problem for a very long time. The Yucca Mountain waste site is over and done with, leaving us with no permanent place to put the stuff. Right now, it's all stored on-site at all the various facilities around the country until a permanent solution can be found.

It bugs me that 500 years or 1000 years from now folks may still be having to deal with nuclear waste generated by us today. Here in Washington State, we've had leakage of waste from the Hanford Reservation going directly into local aquifers, which will reach the Columbia River in a few more years. We were told this would never be possible, yet it happened anyway. The best engineering in the world is no match for human complacency over time. There were various accidental air releases too, along with the usual government coverups, and a mess of ongoing lawsuits by a few thousand downwind families with increased rates of cancer.

The Hanford site is considered the world's largest environmental cleanup project, costing taxpayers an average of $2 billion a year since 1988, and employing 11,000 workers. They hope to be finished with the cleanup by 2040 or so. 53 million gallons of high-level liquid radioactive waste was stored in 177 supposedly leak-proof tanks. About a third of those tanks leaked anyway, despite all the expensive engineering, and now it's estimated that there's about 270 billion gallons of contaminated groundwater as a result. Aside from the liquid waste, the site also holds 25 million cubic feet of solid radioactive waste, including plutonium (half-life 24,100 years,) that needs to be dealt with as well. Sad to say, but Hanford has set a pretty poor example of how large scale nuclear waste has been handled in this country so far. Needless to say, nuclear power isn't very popular in this state any more. Maybe we should hold off on any new reactors in this country until we've solved the ongoing waste problem.

Gary

jcx
03-30-2011, 12:50 PM
:o
[youtube:14r75k0o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MognnB0g56Y[/youtube:14r75k0o]

:ugeek: I'm always right... just listen when i speak... :lol:

And its the worst nuclear accident ever! Give it a few weeks and the news will tell you that.

badflash
03-30-2011, 05:37 PM
I'll bet you a six pack that this is nothing compared to Chernobyl.

rfeiller
03-30-2011, 08:32 PM
whether you win or lose it won't matter to those that will suffer and maybe die because of it.

jcx
03-31-2011, 04:11 AM
I'll bet you a six pack that this is nothing compared to Chernobyl.

I can't troll a man who bets in beer - your on!
But how much plutonium did Chernobyl have? :lol:

jackalope
03-31-2011, 11:10 AM
I have mixed feelings about nuclear power. On the surface, it's a fairly clean way to make electricity. No CO2 emissions. And despite a few very notable exceptions, including the current crisis in Japan, it's pretty safe too. The problem for me is how to deal with the waste on a long term basis. Haven't seen any acceptable plan for that yet, despite lots of smart people working on the problem for a very long time. The Yucca Mountain waste site is over and done with, leaving us with no permanent place to put the stuff. Right now, it's all stored on-site at all the various facilities around the country until a permanent solution can be found.

It bugs me that 500 years or 1000 years from now folks may still be having to deal with nuclear waste generated by us today. Here in Washington State, we've had leakage of waste from the Hanford Reservation going directly into local aquifers, which will reach the Columbia River in a few more years. We were told this would never be possible, yet it happened anyway. The best engineering in the world is no match for human complacency over time. There were various accidental air releases too, along with the usual government coverups, and a mess of ongoing lawsuits by a few thousand downwind families with increased rates of cancer.

The Hanford site is considered the world's largest environmental cleanup project, costing taxpayers an average of $2 billion a year since 1988, and employing 11,000 workers. They hope to be finished with the cleanup by 2040 or so. 53 million gallons of high-level liquid radioactive waste was stored in 177 supposedly leak-proof tanks. About a third of those tanks leaked anyway, despite all the expensive engineering, and now it's estimated that there's about 270 billion gallons of contaminated groundwater as a result. Aside from the liquid waste, the site also holds 25 million cubic feet of solid radioactive waste, including plutonium (half-life 24,100 years,) that needs to be dealt with as well. Sad to say, but Hanford has set a pretty poor example of how large scale nuclear waste has been handled in this country so far. Needless to say, nuclear power isn't very popular in this state any more. Maybe we should hold off on any new reactors in this country until we've solved the ongoing waste problem.

Gary

I say we ought to put NASA to work doing something useful. Collect all the spent fuel rods and wastewater, put it into a huge tanker rocket and point it toward the sun .... as it nears the sun (it won't even get all the way there because of the heat!), it will be destroyed and won't even be a blip on the radoiactive radar! It would be much safer if it were on the other side of the Van Allen Radiation Belt than on our side of it! Worried about cooling? Outer space is plenty cold enuff to keep the rods cooled until they reach their destination! Maybe some of our politicians and talking heads that promoted this very dangerous technology could ride along as good-will ambassadors! Despite what Ann Coulter and all the other lefties say, radiation is NOT good for you! Hanford, Three Mile Island, Chernoble, Fukushima and any other Nuke Plants should never have been built. The same goes for the one built in Montesano,Wa, which cost the taxpayers billions in investor bailouts and is being maintained at the expense of the taxpayers, not the investors! Congress gave the investors a pass, and we, our children, and grandchildren, great-grandchildren, etc., etc., ad nauseum will have to pay for those money-pits - Hanford, TMI and Montesano! (I used to live in WA, and worked for some of the contractors who made millions from their cost-plus contracts. They hired people who never went to the site except for the obligatory introduction, they bought huge numbers of equipment that they didn't need, parked them in special parking lots until after the bailouts, then brought them back to Seattle, Tacoma, Spokane, Portland, etc. and sold them back to the manufacturers at cut rates ...... not more than an hour or two on each machine - no Congressional investigations to worry about!)

Any time the Gov't says it can't happen, expect it to happen; anytime the Gov't says we won't go to war, expect us to invade another country; anytime the Gov't says something is good and safe, expect more diseases and cancers; anytime the Gov't says something is unhealthy for you, expect it to be a helpful, healthful Vitamin, Mineral, or Food Supplement. End of rant .............. for now!

jcx
03-31-2011, 01:42 PM
Thermal vents in the ocean make like 100,000 times the amount of energy we use a day.
Well too late now, Radiated glass of milk anyone?
er

gosmith
03-31-2011, 04:55 PM
I'd almost forgotten about the WPPSS (Washington Public Power Supply System otherwise known as Whoops) projects which included the now mothballed Montesano reactor which never produced a single watt of power. I believe this boondoggle still holds the record for the single largest municipal bond default that ever happened in this country. Thirty years later, 15 percent of our power bill still goes to pay off the billions in debt and interest. Classic case of sleazy wall street corprocats, crooked contractors, and a bunch of utility goons and burro-crats run amok.

I was surprised to learn that WPPSS is still in business. They just changed their name to Energy Northwest and now build and operate commercial wind farms and solar parks. They also still operate the one remaining nuke plant in this state, the Columbia Generating Station, which is located (where else?) at Hanford. It uses the same identical design as the one in Japan. They recently applied to the NRC for a 20 year license renewal to keep the plant operating.

As for launching the waste into space, I believe there was a proposal to do that at one time. Aside from being extremely expensive, there were deep concerns about a Challenger type disaster with a shuttle load of radioactive waste. Talk about one hell of a dirty bomb.

Ann Coulter a leftie? Hmmm. Haven't heard of any lefties, righties, or any other sane person saying that nuclear radiation is good for you. Sounds like maybe some good candidates to help out with the cleanup over in Japan.

Gary

badflash
03-31-2011, 05:31 PM
The French decided to use the technology we invented, but were not allowed to use. They recycle their spent fuel. Storing it is a really bad idea. Shooting nuclear waste into space is a bad idea. Most of what is in spent fuel is actually valuable, and is made artificially because we don't recycle the fuel.

Over 60% of the fuel is still there when the fuel bundle can no longer be used, Radioactive cobalt and many other by products are used for waste water treatment and radiography of people (radiation treatments) as well as industrial X-Rays. Yes, radiation can be used to kill cancer as well as cause it.

If fuel is recycled, most of the bad stuff that everyone worries about can go right back into the reactor, just add more uranium. The stuff that can't be sold or stuck back in can be mixed with molten glass. This stuff is stable and can't leach into ground water.

We live in a radiation environment. There is a threshold for somatic effects. What happened in Japan is horrible, far worse than anyone planned on. Even so, I'll wager that only the workers will suffer any health effect. Time will tell.

What are the alternatives to nuclear? You think any of them don't have down sides that are just as dangerous?

jcx
03-31-2011, 10:03 PM
[youtube:3r2dvi09]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qN3B-KjZ7vk[/youtube:3r2dvi09]

gosmith
04-01-2011, 07:11 AM
I tend to agree with Badflash to a certain extent. There is nothing inherently evil about nuclear energy. These days, we simply can't afford to ignore any source of energy, especially if it can help keep us from being held hostage by foreign oil merchants while also reducing greenhouse emissions. If we can recycle some of the waste, find a way to safely store the rest, engineer power plants that keep the public as safe as possible, and find a way to fund it that puts investors on the hook rather than taxpayers, then why shouldn't we use it? Having said that, we still have a long way to go in finding long term waste storage solutions that will meet the most lenient industry minimum standards of 10,000 years at 15 millirem max exposure outside the facility boundaries, let alone the National Science Foundation's recommendation for 1,000,000 years after a facility has closed. Quite a legacy to leave to our descendants, but doable if we want it.

Gary

jcx
04-01-2011, 06:08 PM
Bright blue flashes seen over reactors.. any idea what that is?

badflash
04-03-2011, 07:56 AM
Reference please? I don't know what you are referring to.

jcx
04-06-2011, 11:27 AM
^^Was neutron beams. That's bad.

[youtube:2ethbfsd]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JJ19ix1OUg[/youtube:2ethbfsd]

badflash
04-07-2011, 04:11 PM
^^Was neutron beams. That's bad.

I hope you are wearing a foil hat. That will protect you from those neutron beams.

Geez, you are really buying that crap? In order to get apreaciable levels of neutrons you need a critical reactor, one that has a self sustaining nuclear reaction. A slagged reactor just plain can't do that. I can show you lots of Youtubes about anything you want and anything you want to believe. That don't make it true.

If it has to do with the government. hold onto your wallet, cause that is ALL they want, that and your liberty.

jcx
04-07-2011, 10:10 PM
Lmao... I don't care anymore. I'm not in the gas cloud anymore. Good luck.
[youtube:3hbcib7q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WM1RChZk1EU[/youtube:3hbcib7q]

rfeiller
04-11-2011, 09:38 PM
oh, come on jcx japan finally upgraded it to a 7. the difference between this one and chernobol is that could be localized on land this is in the worlds water supply and food chain. it is a is a hell of a lot more devasting.

JCO
04-15-2011, 07:06 AM
OK, I've watched this thread develop and be bantered around with views and opinions as to how bad it is for the world and what's going to happen to us and I have decided to throw in some truth and reality about radiation and it's effects. Yes, it is initially bad, however:-

will someone please tell me, what happens to the radiation if it lasts thousands of years and where does it go during that time?

HIROSHIMA - August 1945

http://diyaquaponics.com/atom/bomb.jpg
http://diyaquaponics.com/atom/after1.jpg
http://diyaquaponics.com/atom/after2.jpg
http://diyaquaponics.com/atom/after3.jpg
http://diyaquaponics.com/atom/after4.jpg

We all know that Hiroshima and Nagasaki were destroyed in August 1945 after the explosion of A-bombs. However, how many of you have thought to take notice of the progress made by the people of HIROSHIMA, Japan during the past 65 years.

HIROSHIMA - 65 YEARS AFTER THE BOMB..!

http://diyaquaponics.com/atom/today1.jpg
http://diyaquaponics.com/atom/today2.jpg
http://diyaquaponics.com/atom/today3.jpg
http://diyaquaponics.com/atom/today4.jpg
http://diyaquaponics.com/atom/today5.jpg

Man...what a mess...!

badflash
04-15-2011, 08:20 AM
JCO-
I'm gonna have to disagree with your premice. You can't compare the release of radioactivity from 3 reactors and 4 spent fuel pools to the explosion of a bomb that had maybe 25 KG of enriched uranium or plutonium. We are talking about 100's of tons of fission products. The potential is much worse if not mitigated.

That being said, the scale used is a bit mis-leading. All 7's are not created equal. In order to reach a 7 all three barriers to the environment must be breached and the realease of radio active materials must be large enough to acceed acceptable limits. The relase from Cherobyl was orders of magnatude larger and quicker that in japan. There were many deaths attributed directly to the radiation levels, and the energy reales from the Chernobyl explosion was actually nuclear and was equivelent to something like 15 tons of TNT. The reactor blew up, it didn't just over heat. Chernoblyl had no containement structure, so the release was not limited as it has been in japan.

The release in Europe contaminated a large part of the continent making food crops unsafe for a long period of time, not just a week.

JCO
05-06-2011, 06:23 PM
OK, I'll bite....what's the deal with the NUKE CRISIS in Japan...suddenly I don't hear anything at all on the new about what's going on over there. :mrgreen:

urbanfarmer
05-06-2011, 07:41 PM
Probably because there's no one left to report...

rfeiller
05-06-2011, 11:14 PM
uf just got back from visiting there and you can see by his new avatar the effects of the leak, he use to have black hair! :lol:

badflash
05-07-2011, 01:56 PM
Once the media found out they over hyped this thing and that mass deaths from radiation sickness weren't materializing, they focused on more important things like if Osama was really dead, or was it Elvis or JFK...

OK, I'll bite....what's the deal with the NUKE CRISIS in Japan...suddenly I don't hear anything at all on the news about what's going on over there. :mrgreen:

urbanfarmer
05-07-2011, 02:15 PM
:lol:

tyrtaeus
05-08-2011, 08:37 PM
Man...what a mess...!Another interesting thing that doesn't entirely compute (perhaps because I have not settled in to compute it):

Chernobyl is still a ghost town (some of the photo essays are amazing), there is a small birth defect cluster around the area, and the Germans can't hunt wild boar because the radiation is still elevated 20 years after the fact.

But Hiroshima and Nagasaki, which did not have the advantage of "modern" cleanup and sequestration methods, seem good to go.

urbanfarmer
05-09-2011, 08:34 AM
My guess is they blocked the radiation from passing up through the ground. Cement of adequate quantity, density, and composition can block gamma radiation.

Onthefly
06-17-2011, 06:42 PM
I see its been over 2 months since the last post on here. With all the admissions and revelations from Tepco and Japan Gov recently and opinions by the likes of Arnie Gunderson, does anyone have a new perspective on this matter?

Onthefly
06-17-2011, 06:44 PM
Sorry, a little over a month since last post.

keith_r
06-17-2011, 07:11 PM
i think the plan to "encase" it is so typically short-sighted
but then nobody really thinks long term, we're such teenagers as a race

Onthefly
06-17-2011, 07:33 PM
.....and you know what teens tend to do. From what I understand it is almost impossible to encase with concrete at this location. Earthquake prone, problems with salt and not to mention how many reactors are involved. It may be their only solution at this time which their saying will take several years and I agree it is a hail mary at this point. It is estimated that by the time Chernobyl is not "Hot" in 25k years the encasement will be the size of Luxembourg due to the never ending need to expand the encasement due to the deterioration of the concrete. Sooooo how long do we think the human race will be around?

keith_r
06-17-2011, 07:40 PM
shaking my majic eight ball

"the outlook is not favorable"

Onthefly
06-17-2011, 08:30 PM
[quote="keith_r"]shaking my majic eight ball

suddenly having a vision of the physicists with tepco......

badflash
06-21-2011, 06:42 PM
They will clean up, not encase. There is no other option.

You may not know, but they completely cleaned up Three Mile Island. It can be done. Any civilized country would do so. Chernobyl is a clear lesson that you can't encase, you must clean up.